Author Topic: Orpen of Shaston - English Civil War  (Read 938 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Orpen of Shaston - English Civil War
« on: Sunday 11 September 16 18:18 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Richard Orpen was a Royalist and was killed at the battle of Naseby on 14 June 1645 during the English civil war.  His estates in or around Shaston in Dorset had been confiscated before this.

I am not sure where Shaston was, there's a parish of a similar name near Cann or is it a corruption of Shaftesbury?  Neither have any parish records matching the name Orpen but that could be due to him being a Catholic. 

I can't find a list of the properties confiscated at that time which must surely exist somewhere.

Can anyone help with pointing me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orpen of Shaston - English Civil War
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 16 22:29 BST (UK) »

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes, I was.  It was my tree originally until Geni gave it to someone else!  I'm currently working on correcting errors in it which I cannot do on Geni as it is no longer managed by me!

As it turns out, there are two Orpens who died in 1645, one at Naseby and one in Shaston of the plague.  My job now is to clarify which one is my ancestor!

Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 22:03 BST (UK) »
How can geni give it to someone else?

Oh, well, sorry to refer you back to 'yourself'.  Has he made many errors?

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
It's a funny thing on Geni, my cousin and I merged trees and somehow he got sole management.  Neither of us can work out how to change it.  Or how to separate them again!

I need to though, as I can't make updates and this tree has changed a lot!

One of those things on the 'to do' list!

Cheers
Isabel
Wilkie (Roxburgh)