Author Topic: Anwoth Old Kirkyard- burial mystery  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anwoth Old Kirkyard- burial mystery
« on: Monday 12 September 16 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have found a relative buried in the Anwoth Old Kirkyard (in 1884) and it is clear from the inscription on her tomb that her plot and headstone were probably paid for by a person, or people, who were not her family.

Does anyone know whether any records may still exist relating to the purchase, or other information, about these plots and if so, where they might possibly be held?

I would very much like to find the story behind this burial, as the place is not mentioned in any other record I have for her.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anwoth Old Kirkyard- burial mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 16 02:30 BST (UK) »
I don't know the answer to your question regarding records, but if you post an image or transcription of the headstone it might help clarify, and maybe give a starting point from which to search.

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 16 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Here is the link which takes you to the transcription and image:-

http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/allgraves.asp?Inscription=Sarah+Byrne

I've been having a good hunt around and can see that the National Archives of Scotland have some information about this church and parish, although whether that includes anything useful to my answer my query, I don't know.

I'm not able to go there and the records are not online, although apparently some of the old kirk session records are in the process of being digitised at present. Perhaps if I contacted the archives, they might be able to tell me if there is any way to search the info on my behalf.

Further puddling around on google shows me that there was a Cottage Hospital in the area, so perhaps my relative worked there. I'd certainly like to know who paid for her headstone, plot and inscription.

It's part of her story I did not know and I only found it by accident when I came across the website.

There may be no record at all, as the detail I am after is of no importance to anyone else and is quite minor, but it's worth a try.

Regards Eliza.

BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 16 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eliza. That extra information might help.  :)

Do you believe that friends rather than family paid for her headstone due to the mention of her occupation rather than any family members?

See what kind of response you get here, but contacting the archives about the records would be a logical step.  :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
This may well have been reported in the local newspaper.

http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/
The para on "Newspapers" mentions an Index of names - which greatly helps any searching of microfilms.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
The only name that comes to mind when Cardoness is mentioned is THE Maxwells and I assume she was a nurse to the family.   I don't see her there  in any of the censuses so far - either by a maiden name or her married name.  Her maiden name  was possibly Needham (alt). 

Will look some more.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 September 16 10:30 BST (UK) »
I can't be sure that the headstone was paid for by friends Ruskie, but it seems a possibility given the wording and I'm not sure her family would have been able to afford it.

Yes, that was her maiden name , Gadget, where did you find that?

In 1881 she was recorded as a boarding house keeper in Glasgow so I'm a bit puzzled by the reference to 'for many years' on her headstone as my info for 1871 and 1881 puts her in Glasgow. She was a widow.

I wondered about the Maxwell family too, although I see there was a cottage hospital in the Anwoth district. The headstone is the first reference to her being described as a nurse I have come across.

Thanks for the link to the HappyHaggis site Hanes, I now need to figure out how I can access that index of names.

Lots to think about so the extra input is helpful thankyou.

Eliza.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 September 16 10:37 BST (UK) »
Cardoness was owned by the Maxwells. There wasn't much else that came under that address apart from lodges, stables, etc.

I saw the lodging housekeeper but was not sure..  She died at Skyreburn, just north of Cardoness. Her death cert has her as the widow of a Lawrence Byrne or Burns,, Banker's Clerk. Her son, Thomas was the informant. His address was Glasgow - address is dificult to read.

I've not checked on others who lived in Skyreburn at that time. Will also look at my Anwoth booklet - I've got ancestors associated with Kirkbride not far away.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 September 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
Maybe someone else can make out the address of Thomas ~