Author Topic: What are the X and numbers on the NSW marriage cert?  (Read 711 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
What are the X and numbers on the NSW marriage cert?
« on: Monday 12 September 16 08:09 BST (UK) »
On the attached certificate to the right there is a large X and what appears to me to be a reference number, 08/7743.

Alexander remarried prior to Ida's death, yet I have been unable to find a divorce in either NSW or Qld, where Alexander's second marriage took place, as did both of their deaths. His 1910 marriage had him as a widower and Ida died in 1913. Bigamy, yes?

I recall contacting Rockhampton something (court house I think) - they had resided in Rocky and Ida die there - to see if a divorce was recorded, but it wasn't.

Also contacted Family Law Courts, Sydney and they couldn't explain the X and numbers either.

Anyone in the know have a suggestion?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: What are the X and numbers on the NSW marriage cert?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
I will phone a rellie, retired NSW BDM chap. it is his 'happy hour' so he could be 'up the street'.   I suspect 08/ is for 1908/ being the year 1908 and the other numbers are a registration number #7743. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
Yes,  'Up the street' ....

Anyway,  I used the option at NSW BDM online, 'Search by number only'  .....
there's a marriage registered Dubbo in 1908 with that reference no. 7743
there's a birth registered Redfern in 1908 with that ref no
and NO deaths.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 16 08:57 BST (UK) »
A marriage in Dubbo for whom, JM?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
And it was the Registrar General himself who as the Official who conducted the ceremony at head office. 

http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/150698/Brief_History_of_RG_Records.pdf

If you go to NSW BDM online, and click marriages, instead of putting names etc, go to the box with the default "NO" and toggle to "YES".   Then enter 7743 for the registration and 1908 for the year.  ;D   It is a good tip when you have a registration number and suspect there could be different index entries under several surnames or spelling variations .... for births in particular. 

7743/1908 WHEATLEY William J and RANKMORE Emily E

JM

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 16 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip.

Then we know it isn't anything to do with a marriage on the cert I have.

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 September 16 09:15 BST (UK) »
basically, yep, that's about it.

Notice that the Reg Gen was able to obtain 'all' the required info for that marriage from the couple when organising the ceremony.... so all columns are completed without any 'ado'  and also that the very first column is blank, afterall, that first column would usually show the line number for the local office's registration.   Being a ceremony at the Elizabeth St head office .... no local office needed.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 02:10 BST (UK) »
Right,

return phone call.

The X should be showing there's nothing to be recorded in that space.

The 08/7743 is not in the handwriting of the Reg Gen.  (E G WARD)

The person who wrote 'Elizabeth Street Sydney' was NOT Ward .....

"Very odd"  that any information is recorded there without an initial to show who wrote it, UNLESS it was recorded there at the time the entry was being made back in 1888.   

Please ask Jamjar to send an email to BDM and ask them to check with their Archivists as to what was on the entry immediately before the one she is asking about....   (perhaps the 08/7743 belongs to the one above it in the register.....)

.....  1118/1888 VEROTTO Ciro and MONRO Mary J

JM

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 02:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks, JM.

Something for me to do in the New Year.

J.