Author Topic: The mysterious disappearing children of Harrison Bunning.  (Read 1295 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The mysterious disappearing children of Harrison Bunning.
« on: Wednesday 14 September 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
My 3x great grandfather was a Harrison Bunning from Marham, Norfolk. He married twice, first to Ann Wakefield LeFever and secondly to Jane Dack (my 3x great grandmother).

There are three children from his first marriage that seem to just disappear.

The first is his oldest son, John William Bunning.

What I know about John;

Birth registered in 1862 in the registration district of Wisbech. Censuses claim his place of birth was "St John" which I assume is Terrington St John. Need to order the certificate to be sure.

He appears living with his mother and father in the 1871 and 1881 censuses. In 1871 they are living in Wisbech, in 1881 they are living in Stamford Baron St Martin.

In 1881 he is 18 years old and working as a coach painter.

He disappears after that. I can't find a marriage record or a death record.

The other missing child is Alice Mary Bunning.

She was born in Walsoken on February 6, 1867, but wasn't baptised until January 15, 1871 in Wisbech St Peter.

Like her brother John, she is living with her parents in the 1871 and 1881 censuses, working as a domestic servant in 1881. No trace of her after, can't find a marriage or death record.

The third and final missing child is Martha Ann Bunning.

She was born on February 25, 1869 and baptised on November 30, 1870.

There is no trace of her after that.

I assume she died young, before 1878, as Harrison and his wife Ann have another child named Martha born in that year.

These are long standing mysteries as I have inherited a lot of research in this line, and although I have gone over and verified each person I still haven't been able to find out what happened to these three.

Although I have posted this in Norfolk, you can see that the family also lived in Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire.

It would be good to get some fresh eyes to look over this in order to solve the mystery.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious disappearing children of Harrison Bunning.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
Have you checked for emigration?

There is an AM Bunning listed on findmypast in Passenger Lists  going to Montreal in 1903.
Sorry don't have a sub at the moment to check out the actual image.
Can't see a John William straight off, but there seem to be a range of various spellings of similar names, any one of which might be him.
You could also check out the lists on Ancestry.
Good luck!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 23:10 BST (UK) »
She is the wife of  W. Bunning

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 23:55 BST (UK) »
there is a burial record for Martha Bunning death 29 Apr 1880 in St martin Stamford Barons Northampton
Same place there is also a record for Ann Wakefield Bunning 24 Apr 1880

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 16 08:56 BST (UK) »
Have you checked for emigration?

There is an AM Bunning listed on findmypast in Passenger Lists  going to Montreal in 1903.
Sorry don't have a sub at the moment to check out the actual image.
Can't see a John William straight off, but there seem to be a range of various spellings of similar names, any one of which might be him.
You could also check out the lists on Ancestry.
Good luck!

I have briefly checked immigration records and other foreign records to see if John and Alice emigrated, but I don't have access to worldwide records on Ancestry at the moment. I could check FamilySearch I suppose. Thank you.

EDIT: Just checked and on FamilySearch's pedigree resource file I have found a lead on John. It claims that he was living in Newark, New Jersey, USA in 1910. I will look up the US census record and see if there is any evidence to support this.

EDIT 2: Had a closer look and apparently that pedigree file was uploaded by me two years ago! There's probably a reason why I removed that fact afterwards. Oh well, will keep looking.

there is a burial record for Martha Bunning death 29 Apr 1880 in St martin Stamford Barons Northampton
Same place there is also a record for Ann Wakefield Bunning 24 Apr 1880

Suz

That is the second child called Martha who was born in 1878, unfortunately. The Martha I'm looking for would have died before 1878.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 November 16 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Checking in FreeBMD it looks as though Alice Mary Bunning married William John Pattison at Leeds in 1903. Their marriage certificate is not in the West Yorkshire collection on Ancestry. Perhaps they married in a registry office. You should order up the certificate to see if she has the right father.

The FreeBMD index gives 4 names on that page - 2 wives, 2 husbands - but I am confident about Alice's husband, because I've found them in the 1911 census on Ancestry. Which sounds plausible for your missing lady.

Moderator comment: 1911 census details removed, our policy has not changed

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=355486.0

My husband is descended from Harrison Bunning's brother James, actually via his son another Harrison Bunning. I can't remember if we've been in contact before. Feel free to PM me here, or email me directly at Removed

EDIT: P.S. Alice, Mrs Pattison, seems a bit younger than "your" Alice in the census. But I wouldn't rule her out. Check that marriage certificate to be sure if she is yours or not.

EDIT2: Found what looks like Mrs Pattison's birth reg in the new GRO indexes, in 1875 at Kings Lynn. Mother's name Griffin. So that probably rules out my theory. At least it was done without spending any money on certificates :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 November 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever recall why you ruled out the Newark 1910 theory? Because it does match with age, name, and birthplace England. That man immigrated to the USA in 1900, and by 1910 was married, for 3 years. If he is "your" man his marriage certificate may confirm his father. Might be hard to trace though. You could start with Newark / New York area leads. His 1910 occupation was a hatter.

Of course if "your" John left for USA in 1900 that still doesn't explain where he was in 1891 ...

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi vivdunstan, sorry for not replying for so long. It looks like you've spent a lot of time on this! I'll have to look into that John Bunning again. Your email was removed by a moderator, so if you private message me I would be glad to exchange Bunning family research.