Author Topic: William Kirk Martin  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • clendinnen girls early 1900s
    • View Profile
William Kirk Martin
« on: Saturday 17 September 16 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi:)
Im researching the Family of William Kirk Martin(father barry Martin) Born 6 September 1796 in
Carrickfergus
He married a Sarah Ann Clendinnen...(clendinnen is my direct line from Ireland to Australia)
Have  not found their marriage tho
Children I have so far to them are
Clendinnen Barry Martin born 1835 in Larne Antrim...He came to Victoria Australia
And George Hill martin(Nothing more on him)
And Ann Hill Martin(nothing more on her)
May have been other children, Which im trying to ascertain
The Martin Family Were Doctors
Is anyone researching this family please
OR can give us any more details re George Hill Clendinnen and ann Hill Clendinnen
And deaths etc of Wiliam Kirk Martin and wife Sarah(nee Clendinnen)
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey
Wexford...Clendinnen, Steele, Ellis
Roscommon...Carley, Fallon

France...D'Acre, Went to Ireland some Changed to DEAKER

England Direct Lines
Norfolk: Clamp, Chesney, Atkins, streek
Essex: Mountford, Cornell, Philpott, Hawkes
Wiltshire: Stone, Annetts,

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Kirk Martin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 16 03:30 BST (UK) »
Ok just found a death date of William Kirk Martin
6 December 1853 in Carrickfergus Antrim...Wonder if a will anywhere
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Well you’ve already found his death, so this may not add anything new, but here is an extract from the Ulster Directory of Doctors:

MARTIN, WILLIAM KIRK (1797-1853), Larne and Carrickfergus, county Antrim;
Born 1797, eldest son of Barry Martin; studied medicine at Glasgow University; CM (Glas) 1819; of Hillmount House near Larne, c1837 and Carrickfergus c1845; JP; died 6 December 1853 at Carrickfergus.

From the Belfast Newsletter, 12th December 1853:
On the 6th inst., at his residence, Carrickfergus, Wm. Kirk Martin, Esq., M.D. and J.P., eldest son of the late Barry Martin, Esq., aged fifty-six years.

According to the book “Old Families of Carrickfergus and Ballynure,” his will does survive and is at the National Archives in Dublin, though the date it gives is 1856.  I had a look in the same book for gravestone inscriptions but don’t see any which match the family.

Extracts from “History and Antiquities of Carrickfergus…”
In 1787 Barry Martin was a sword-bearer for Carrickfergus, and in 1797 it was a Thomas B. Martin.  In 1796 Barry Martin was appointed cornet following the resignation of Alexander Gunning.  In 1797 Thomas Kirk and Barry Martin were appointed sheriffs in which roles they continued until 1810 when Barry Martin died.

Notices of the first board of municipal commissioners … “William Kirk Martin was a medical doctor; he had a property near Woodburn Bridge.”

From Saunders’s Newsletter, 10th Dec 1810:
At Carrickfergus, Barry Martin, Esq.

The Carrickfergus book also mentions a Barry Martin Smyth who died in July 1905.  He was a solicitor and a widower when he died.

(From Rootsireland) Children baptised in Carrickfergus (presumably St. Nicholas’ Church):

Ann Martin – Baptised 6th September 1795 – Father Mr Barry Martin
William Kirk Martin – Baptised 6th September 1796 – Father Mr Barry Martin
John Martin – Baptised 28th December 1797 – Father Barry Martin

Ann Hill Martin – Born 3rd Nov 1837 – Bapt 24th Mar 1838 – Parents William Martin and Sallyann Martin
George Hill Martin – Born 12th Aug 1839 – Bapt 28th Sep 1839 – Parents William Kirk Martin and Sarah Ann
Sarah Ann Martin – Born 3rd Sep 1842 – Bapt 6th Nov 1842 – Parents William Kirk Martin (MD) and Sarah Martin
Kirk Martin, Scotch Quarter – Born 11th Mar 1844 – Bapt 15th Nov 1846 – Parents William Kirk Martin (Doctor of Medicine) and Sarah Anne Martin
Maria Margaret Martin, Scotch Quarter – Born 26th Feb 1846 – Bapt 15th Nov 1846 – Parents William Kirk Martin (Doctor of Medicine) and Sarah Anne Martin
Henry Fitzgibbon Martin, Carrickfergus – Born 14th Jan 1849* – Bapt 12th Oct 1851 – Parents William Kirk Martin (MD) and Sarah Anne Martin
Georgina MacAulay Martin, Carrickfergus – Born 19th May 1850* – Bapt 12 Oct 1851 – Parents William Kirk Martin (MD) and Sarah Anne Martin

[*It says that Henry Fitzgibbon Martin and Georgina MacAuley Martin were twins, but gives different dates of birth – presumably an error in transcription…???]

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
Just following up the trail of Barry Martin Smith/Smyth who I think is related.

Northern Whig, 26th Jun 1845:
On the 21st inst., Mr. Barry Martin Smith, second son of John Smith, Esq., of Carrickfergus, was admitted an Attorney of the Court of Exchequer, and a member of the Honourable Society of King’s Inns.

I think this improves the chances that B. M. Smith may have been a grandson of your Barry Martin.  Mr Smith/Smyth appears to have been based at Newtownards at this time

Belfast Newsletter, 4th May 1849:
On the 1st inst., at Ballyclare, by the Rev. John Hall, Barry Martin Smith, Esq., solicitor, to Mary Forsythe, third daughter of the late John Park, Esq., Ballynure.

Banner of Ulster, 16 Apr 1850:
On the 9th inst., at Newtownards, Mrs. Barry Martin Smyth, of a daughter.

By December 1850 Barry Martin Smith had moved, “…application to be made to BARRY MARTIN SMYTH, Solicitor, at his Offices, Ballyclare and Larne.”

In 1854 there was a “Case of Seduction” reported in the Banner of Ulster (21st March 1854).  Barry Martin Smith, attorney, had two illegitimate children by a girl called Jane Kelly.  Apparently he initially offered to marry her, but later offered her £20 to go to America.  I’m not sure exactly of the order of things but the case ended up in court where Smith accused Jane Kelly of being a prostitute.

The judge was not at all convinced by this, cleared the girl, and he “regretted exceedingly that a gentleman in the situation of an attorney should be defendant in such an action, and still more, that he should seed, in order to get rid of a decree against him, to lay in a plea so unsustained in point of evidence, and involving so many groundless imputations against so many parties.”

Ah, here we go.  From Rootsireland again:

Barry Marten Smyth – Baptised 29th Nov 1822 at Carrickfergus – Son of John Smyth and Ann Marten.

I’m guessing that’s probably Ann Martin, daughter of Barry, born c1795.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 16 12:47 BST (UK) »
Dublin Weekly Register, 1 Sep 1821:
At Carrickfergus, Henry Fitz-Gibbon, Esq. of Dublin, to Mary, daughter of Barry Martin, Esq.

^ That explains the “Henry Fitzgibbon Martin” born c1849.  By the way, I noticed in “Antiquities of Carrickfergus…” that a Glendinning Martin was in 1852 deputy to William Kirk, High Sheriff.  Good going for a ~17 year old?

I’ve found a more informative death notice for William Kirk Martin:

Banner of Ulster, 8th Dec 1853:

On the 6th inst., at his residence, Carrickfergus, aged 56 years, William Kirk Martin, Esq., M.D., J.P., eldest son of the late Barry Martin, Esq.  His remains will be removed, for interment in the family burying-ground, at Carrickfergus, on Friday (to-morrow), at two o'clock.

As I mentioned, I can’t see any gravestone inscriptions for a Barry Martin or William Kirk Martin.  There is a headstone in Carrickfergus Old Graveyard which commemorates the family of Nathan Martin (1817-1898) and his wife Lilley McDowell (1817-1883).  I guess you could try working back from Nathan to see if he’s a descendant of Barry Martin.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 16 13:07 BST (UK) »
Oh, this is a bit of a gem.  From the Dublin Daily Express, 27th May 1856, is the “Final Notice to Claimants, Incumbered Estates Court … In the Matter of the Estate of William Kirk Martin, continued in the name of Sarah Anne Martin, Devisee of said William Kirk Martin.”

This lists some of the property of William Kirk Martin, including his dwelling-house and premises in Scotch Quarter, tenements and premises in Green Street, 8 acres in Rhanbuoy, and 24 acres in Woodburn.

The best bit is at the end though:

SCHEDULE REFERRED TO IN THE ABOVE NOTICE

Marriage Settlement on the intermarriage of Barry Martin, of the town of Carrickfergus, with Anne Hill, the younger, of Hillmount, in the county of Antrim, bearing date the 1st October, 1794, wherein said Barry Martin is of the first part; Anne Hill, otherwise Barry, by her description of Anne Hill, the elder, of Hillmount, in the county of Antrim, widow, of the second part; and the said Anne Hill, the younger, of the same place, daughter of the said Anne Hill, the elder, of the third part.

Settlement on the intermarriage of George Hill, of Larne, with Mary Hill, bearing date the 27th January, 1797, wherin the said George Hill was of the first part, the said Anne Hill, of the second part, and the said Mary Hill, daughter of the said Anne Hill, of the third part.

There’s already a thread on Rootschat that deals with this Hill family, so I’ll go and post this there:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=342167.0

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Gilby:)
Thanks for all your Info re This Martin lot    Its been Ages since ive been on rootschat
Back to this Clendinnen/Hill Research
There was a Son also ..Clendinnen Barry Martin born in 1835  Who Came to Victoria Australia   And as my Direct Line from Ireland to Australia is Clendinnen...Im very interested in this family
I think the sarah ann Clendinnen who married William Kirk Martin   Was born circa 1798 and possible Daughter Of john Clendinnen and Mary Charlotte (nee Ellis) But need more proof of that   And interested in trying to Find a marriage of William and sarah
I have been unable to find any marriages in Ireland etc of some of their children    Clendinnen Barry Martin who came to aus used the name clendinnen in one of his children and the name Clendinnen was also used In future descendants   
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 October 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

Unfortunately I still can’t find William Kirk Martin’s marriage.  How do you know Sarah Ann was a Clendinnen?

Out of interest, what do you know of Mary Charlotte Ellis and her family?

Gilby

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 October 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Gilby:)
Thanks for your Reply    Have no Definite Proof sarah was a Clendinnen  but due to the Fact That Clendinnen was a Name Used with one of Their children and Some of their Ancestors IN Australia   The Naming I Think is Significant   And as William Kirk Martin was a Doctor too, Several Clendinnens Were Also Doctors  and I Received this message Awhiles Back from a Researcher With this lineage

William Kirk Martin married Sarah Ann Clendinnen. The story passed on to me was that Sarah came from a family of doctors some who were involved in research on radiation for cancer victims, and died as a result of radiation. My immediate (untested) thoughts are that it seems far too early for any of Sarah Ann’s contemporary’s to be involved in radiation research, however ……..

There were two generations of medical CLENDINNEN’s, [FREDERICK JOHN (1860-1913) and LESLIE JOHN (1887-1954)] in Melbourne. Both were radiologists. Frederick John was born on 13 April 1860 at Emerald Hill, Melbourne, son of Joseph James Clendinnen, a jeweller originally from County Limerick, Ireland, and his wife Frances Mary nee Barfoot, widow of William Henry Ede. Both Frederick John and Leslie John suffered mutilating injuries from radiation which possibly contributed towards their death.

If only we can Find Sarahs and wiliams Marriage Somewhere   Also realising the Name Clendinnen was Possibly changed from Glendinning Who were from Border Areas of Scotland then went to Co Down   There are several Different Spellings noted for Clendinnen    Clindinning etc etc
My gggrandfather john Clendinnen Born circa 1770 from Downpatrick Co Down according to Wesleyean Archives was a Minister travelling all Over Ireland   his Wife being Mary Charlotte Nee Ellis Born circa 1779 We think?? In wexford  But again no proof   Ellis also being used in Names of Ancestors    My own grandfather Sydney Claude ELLIS Clendinnen
These Clendinnens in Ireland Not easy to research because of Different Spellings Often being used
Sooo essentially too im trying to track thru the children of William kirk Martin and sarah  hopefully to be able to find more Clues re this family
Thanks
cathy:)
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines