Author Topic: Newsham Hospital, Liverpool, formerly Belmont Road Workhouse  (Read 5573 times)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newsham Hospital, Liverpool, formerly Belmont Road Workhouse
« on: Saturday 17 September 16 17:25 BST (UK) »
Wonder if anyone can help. I have death certificate for a possible ancestor dated February 1900, death of Elizabeth Evans aged 53 years at Belmont Road Workhouse. Does anyone know where the dead were buried from Belmont Road Workhouse, I am presuming it would be Walton Cemetery but havent been able to locate where burials information would be held.

Would be very grateful for any help pointing me in the right direction.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newsham Hospital, Liverpool, formerly Belmont Road Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 16 20:46 BST (UK) »

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
She's not buried in Walton Park, Ford Cemetery or Toxteth Park. Did she live in the north end of Liverpool? If so it may depend on where she lived. Possible cemeteries for north Liverpool are Everton, Anfield, Kirkdale and West Derby. These are council cemeteries and their burial records are not online. You would need to visit Liverpool Record Office to view these records. There is a group of volunteers called "Friends of Anfield" that may be able to do a look-up of Anfield burial records:-

http://friendsofanfield.com/

Blue

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
Many of my family are buried in Everton Cemetery.  Everton  is divided up into different sections   for different denominations.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Blue 70, I will look at the links your have provided. Trouble is I dont know even if its the correct person, as Elizabeth Evans is such a common name. However, having sent for various death certs with the correct age, this seems the most likely as she was widowed at 23 and didnt have children and came from a poor background. I cant trace her after her marriage to my gggrandfather William Evans in 1868 when she was 21 and he was 55. With Rootschat help I found him on the 1871 census as Mate on paddle steamer tug United Kingdom off Caldy Island.

On Elizabeth's death certificate it gives her as having no address but she must have been in the area of Belmont Road to go into that particular workhouse as I think there were several in Liverpool.

again, thanks for your suggestions, I will go forward with them.

Regards
Liverbird50

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 19:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like Friends of Anfield Cemetery have found the burial for me. I have made a contribution to their site and they are sending me photos and information.

Once again RootsChat have solved my puzzle.
Liverbird50 :-*

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like Friends of Anfield Cemetery have found the burial for me. I have made a contribution to their site and they are sending me photos and information.

Once again RootsChat have solved my puzzle.
Liverbird50 :-*

I was wearing two hats so credit also goes to Liverpool & SW Lancs FHS forum  ;D

Blue

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 September 16 05:40 BST (UK) »
I would say it is about 1 mile from Belmont Road to The Necropolis Cemetery - I am not sure what year they stopped burying people at the Necropolis but it might be worth checking ??

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2431216

good luck
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 September 16 07:10 BST (UK) »
thanks to Garstonite for the suggestion. Luckily the Friends of Anfield Cemetery have found the burial at West Derby. As Anfield Cemetery was closer to Belmont Road than West Derby, I thought that would be where they would discover the burial. However, they literally went the extra mile (or two) and found it at West Derby.
Cheers. Liverbird50