Author Topic: Rimini Camp Ukrainian POW  (Read 6408 times)

Offline whiterussian737

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rimini Camp Ukrainian POW
« on: Saturday 17 September 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace my fathers roots Voldymyr Fedeczko from his last known connection to his home town in Lvov Western Ukraine, following the WW2. As far as I know, he was captured by the allied forces and held POW in Rimini camp. He was transferred to Langar Nottinghamshire United Kingdom late 1940s, 1945-1947? Does any one have any connections to these places or events with possible photos from their ancestors. I would be grateful for any help
Thank you

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rimini Camp Ukrainian POW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya Whiterussian
my father in law was also captured in Rimini - he was born in Rogatyn near Lvov .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS_(1st_Galician)

when you say Lvov in the Ukraine you will probably find that Voldymyr was born in a small village in that location .
try www.geneanet.org
put the surname fedeczko - no first name or country and then search
there is also a Genealogy link on www.ukraine.com   ..register for free and when accepted go down the left hand column and look for genealogy - click - and then read through some of the threads and you will then get an idea how to word your request to Ukranian members on that site who speak English ...a member named Hanniah helped me considerably..
good luck  :)

ADDED

http://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?go=1&nom=fedeczko&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&with_variantes_nom=&with_variantes_nom_conjoint=&with_variantes_prenom=&with_variantes_prenom_conjoint=&size=10
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline whiterussian737

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your trouble and reply. I have taken those steps but got very little information. I believe the place my father lived or was born was a place called Chanyzh. I've searched but I can find nothing at all in records there. I am a member at Ukraine.com and have communicated with Hannia. She gave me some guidance but it all came to nothing. Thought I'd try this site.

Offline AliMacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi whiterussian737,
I too am searching for a Ukrainian man, who I believe was held at the Victoria Camp in Mildenhall, Suffolk, England after WW2. I do know that many of the Ukrainians held at Rimini Camp were sent to Victoria Camp as they were members of the 14th Galician Division. The man I am looking for was possibly from Kremenets in West Ukraine. If you do come across any useful information please share it with me and I will do likewise if you wish?
Regards,
Ali

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
Rimini Displaced Persons' Camp - in Italy
http://www.dpcamps.org/rimini.html

Just adding this link with photographs of Ukraninan men in the Rimini  POW camp

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to contact Michael Melnyk who is the historian of the 14th Ukrainian Division ?  He is the son of a member and I believe he is in Norwich.  He has amassed a vast archive concerning Ukrainian soldiers of the unit and may be able to point you towards accessing wartime records of your relatives. The German records for volunteer soldiers were quite detailed and often named both mother and father of the soldier and definitely a precise place of birth.

Offline fisch16

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
My Father Jaroslaw Fischer was at the POW camp in Rimini (1945-1947). He was transferred to England and worked as a Nurse. Not sure where the training was received, perhaps at the camp. Where I assume he learned English as well.  I believe I have a sibling in England (Mother's first name was Edna, not sure of the last, never married her) It would be interesting to find my sibling.

He worked at the following:

England (1947 - 1953)
231st Station Hospital  (Morley, Wymondham, Norfolk)
White Lodge Hospital (Newmarket Hospital, Suffolk)
Winchfield Hospital (Hartley Wintney Union Workhouse)
1 Luxborough Street, Marylebone, London W1
Queen Square , London, WC1N 3BG

He was born in Nadvirna, Prykarpattia, Ivano-Frankivs'k, Ukraine
Parents Georg and Emilia (maiden Polatajko) Fischer

Attached is an addressed to him from a friend at another camp in Aschaffenburg, in Germany.

Offline Ultradaisy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi ...my grandad was pow in rimini ...he was from holyn in west Ukraine.. came over and ended up in a pow camp in wellingore Lincolnshire.
He's a wasyliw

Offline whiterussian737

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 February 19 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all interested in the Ukrainian POW’s Rimini camp WW2

I found a site with ex soldiers of 1st Ukrainian Division and managed to find what I believe to be my fathes’s record.
Michael

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.