Author Topic: Bartle- Kalgoorlie  (Read 6561 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bartle- Kalgoorlie
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 September 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
Arin perhaps you may like to consider a family history program to record your ancestors.  Makes it so much easier for you to record and follow.  Just google for some software.  There's lots available.

Your nearest library may have the library edition of Ancestry.com which has the electoral rolls to 1980.  Helps to put a little 'meat on the bones'.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 September 16 11:29 BST (UK) »

It was likely that Mr & Mrs Bartle made their way to Western Australia in 1894.

The Index to Outward Passengers to Interstate, UK, NZ and Foreign Ports 1852-1923 show Mr Bartle, 28 and Mrs Bartle, 21 were on the SS Adelaide that sailed from Melbourne to Western Australia via Adelaide in February 1894.

http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=42

Maybe Mr Bartle and Mrs Bartle embarked in Adelaide and not Melbourne.  The SS Adelaide which had sailed from Melbourne stopped over in Adelaide and then sailed from Adelaide for Albany and Fremantle at 4pm on 2nd March 1894.  The vessel arrived at Albany on 5th March then Fremantle on 8th March 1894.

The newspapers of the day show that the SS Adelaide arrived in Fremantle on 8th March and on 12th March Mr and Mrs Bartle sailed on the steamer Flinders for Geraldton and Dongara.

Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 01:41 BST (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44100348
The Barrier Miner  30 Jan 1894
LOST, at the Wesleyan Church, South Broken Hill, on Monday Evening, 29th, a Leather PURSE, containing four £l-notes. Finder will be rewarded on returning same to
S. T. BARTLE,
Eyre-street,
3 doors south of AU Nations Hotel.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44111772
The Barrier Miner 1 Sep 1894
BIRTH.
BARTLE   August 27, at South Broken Hill, the wife of S. T. Bartle, of a daughter. Both doing well.

I've given you this birth reg previously but to save you searching

8261/1894
BARTLE Camilla  Father Samuel T  Mother Edith  District Broken Hill.

She died in Adelaide in 1896.

BARTLE Camilla 20 months  Relative Thomas BARTLE [Father]
19 May 1896
Lived at Kent Town  Died at Kent Town   Nor 87/235

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44166358
The Barrier Miner  9 Jan 1896
WANTED KNOWN Three roomed wood and iron House and Furniture for Sale.
Also, first-class Stove. A good investment.
Apply S. T. Bartle, Eyre Street, South Broken Hill

I think they would have travelled from Broken Hill to Adelaide by rail to Pt Pirie and then to Adelaide not by ship via Melbourne.  You can google the history of rail in SA to Broken Hill in that era.

In WA by Jul 1897
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article216700986

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 02:21 BST (UK) »
A little about Samuel Thomas's father in Broken Hill.

The Barrier Miner  6 Mar 1889
A SICK MEMBER.
The case of J. Bartle, a sick member was brought forward. A member, pointed out that in all probability Mr. Bartle would be permanently disabled. He understood that the illness resulted through the lead. Mr. Sleath proposed that the association as an association take no steps
in the matter. He suggested that a subscription list be opened outside the union
He believed cordial support would be granted it. T This was seconded; and M Rowe, in supporting, pointed out that it had been agreed no association money should be voted away for such purposes as this. The motion was carried, and it was mutually agreed that as the case appeared to be a deserving one, private subscription lists be opened.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44043026
The Barrier Miner  14 May 1889
I WISH to publicly express my sincere thanks and appreciation of the generosity of my fellow-workmen employed on the Proprietary, who assisted me so kindly and practically after my long illness.
JOHN BARTLE.

His death

3887/1893
BARTLE John  Father John  Mother Unknown  District Broken Hill.

He is buried in the Broken Hill Cemetery
http://www.bhcemetery.com.au/

Cando

Offline Arin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 04:44 BST (UK) »
So much history! Awesome. Is there any chance that relatives from somewhere are still living? There must be some out there. Just crazy to think of it all as i only ever met my mums mum and grandma. Never met any of my mums dads side but its cool to think about

Offline lola4118

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 15 October 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hello fellow BARTLE family members.   I have been intrigued with the discussion and felt obliged to add my contribution.   My G Grandfather (Edward Henry BARTLE) was a brother to Samuel Thomas BARTLE who married Edith Downs WARREN. 

Cando - regarding your post about J Bartle. (ref Barrier Miner 6 Mar 1889), this referred to John Bartle jnr.   John BARTLE's Obituary from the Barrier Miner on 29 November 1930 (as per TROVE) provides an interesting account of his life.

"Barrier Miner (Broken Hill, NSW : 1888 - 1954) Saturday 29 November 1930 p 2 Article
THE LATE MR. J. BARTLE
The death of Mr. John Bartle, re-ference to which has already been made  in "Ihe Barrier Miner," removes a per-sonality well known in South BrokenHill. He was born in Cornwall in 1862.and came to Australia with his parents in 1883, the family settling down at Wallaroo mines, where Mr. Bartle mar-
ried Miss E. J. Treloar, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Treloar. All were shipmates from Cornwall. The late
Mr Bartle and his wife and child came to Broken Hill in 1888, but after 10 months work in the mines, Mr. Bartle contracted lead poisoning.
Later he had an attack of fever. After four months' illness he went to Adelaide, where he underwent treatment in the Adelaide Hospital, where three operations were performed. After five months' treat-ment he was deemed incurable. He subsequently returned to Broken Hill and began water carting, but was unable to carry on.
Later he took to cab driving and followed this occupation till 1927. He was prominent in the Central-street Methodist Church choir. He sang in the first church erected in Broken Hill. He was choir conduc-tor at the South for many years. Ill-health caused him to give up. He leaves a widow and one daughter, Mrs. T. S. Arthur, of South Broken Hill. Mrs. T. Newman, of South Broken Hill, is a sister, and there are two brothers, Mr. Ned Bartle, of Wallaroo Mines, and Mr. E. C. Bartle, of Inverell, and formerly of the Broken Hill Post Office staff."

By 1930 John's siblings who had moved to Kalgoorlie/Boulder/Coolgardie had pre-deceased him.  John's widowed mother Ann BARTLE lived her final years in WA with her eldest daughter and died there in 1927.   

There is a very interesting history to the family (John BARTLE Sn and Ann nee Sincock and family- including Edward Henry and his wife and young baby) who arrived on the ORIANA in South Australia in 1883, among Cornish Miners specially engaged for the Moonta Mines.  In the following years they pursued mining in South Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales and Western Australia.   

I am fortunate to have a generous collection of family photos, accumulated from various family members over the years.   :D

I hope you find some of the foregoing of interest .....Pam   

Offline Arin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 October 16 02:32 BST (UK) »
Lola4118- Blimey no way! How amazing! Il have to get together with mum and add more to this story as we started to write down names and start a rough tree. So we are like distant cousins or something! Incredible! Do you have any of the photos you would be able to send me? :D

Offline lola4118

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 October 16 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Arin if you can provide me with a little more info regarding which Branch of the Bartle family you are from I can certainly provide you with some info & photos.   :)   

Hopefully you will be able to open the photo attached to this message.   

Offline Arin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 October 16 04:13 BST (UK) »
Yes i can view that photo! Amazing. Who are those people? My family are from Kalgoorlie. Its all a little complicated for me but from what i know- my mums dad was Warren Bartle, his dad was Baden Bartle and his mum Mary 'Mollie' Kilderry. I think Badens parents were Samuel Thomas and Edith Downs :) if im correct my mums great grandfather and your great grandfather were brothers