Author Topic: Fidler Street or Cochrane's Buildings, Middlesbrough  (Read 3736 times)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fidler Street or Cochrane's Buildings, Middlesbrough
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 September 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
I was a steel worker in 1957 in Middlesbrough  most of the practices they used had been unchanged for decades, I played as a boy around the Middlesbrough dock/Swingbridge area were there was whole lines of railway trucks with war damaged material from Europe for re smelting quite close to Cochranes stock yards.
I also worked on a blast furnace in later life, I was brought up in the area known as "Over the Border" and most people worked in the works in the old Ironmasters district.

I have read widely on Old Middlesbrough and it's origins and its growth into the Infant Hercules and knew of fellow workers coming off night shift and drinking beer early morning.

There are lots of books on Middlesbrough and its industries and social life and well worth obtaining them.
James

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 September 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing that James.  It is wonderful to hear your knowledge. I grew up in North Ormesby but moved away at 18.

Another set if ancestors ran the Three Tuns Hotel in the early 1890s so perhaps they worked the early shifts too.

Thank you.

Offline Michal Yankowski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 October 17 06:28 GMT (UK) »
I've just found some of my ancestors living in Cochrane's Buildings, and am going to look in Teesside Archives this week, to see if I can find exactly where they were on Fidler St

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 November 17 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Michal - did you find out the location?

Offline Michal Yankowski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 08:33 BST (UK) »
I'm sure - tho not definite yet - that Cochrane's buildings was the big block on Fidler St. 1861 census has 30 families there.