Author Topic: HUME, Matilda. Looking for passage from Tasmania to mainland with father James  (Read 6392 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re the missing Hunter Valley genealogy forum...  have you tried Rootsweb list

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ntt/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hullo Cousin

Some assert that it was the Scottish born Donald McCray who immigrated to Australia in 1838 aboard the James Pattison. Others say Jane's father was an unnamed local Aboriginal man."

Regards
John

The Donald McRAE  in the matter of assault which took place at Dunmore, in the item I have listed above , was a not born in Scotland.
He was born in 1839 in Australia according to his obituary  in 1908.
The location of Dunmore is mentioned in both items.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/124442612

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
In this cutting the reporter has Donald McRAE assaulting David Hume at Dunmore.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18707476  Maitland Mercury 10 Oct 1863

In this cutting James HUME was charged with using threatening language towards Donald McCRAY at Dunmore… and David HUME also was on a charge against that same chap, Donald McCRAY.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18709990  MM 5 November 1863.

I cannot find any mention of a dispute over Matilda's baby's birth father in the Maitland Mercury.  :-\

I wonder if the person who wrote up the story for the Hunter Valley Genie forum may have assumed that ‘native’ indicated the person was an Aboriginal Person.  I am certain that ‘native’ has been discussed quite a number of times on this board, and it does not indicate anything about ethnicity.  It simply indicates where the person was born.   So for example on the James Pattison shipping list mentioned recently, one of the headings should indicate the ‘native place’ for each passenger. 

The NSW BDM birth registration for 1863 asks for the birth places for each of the parents.  But if the mum is the informant and if she did not inform the registrar that she was a married person, then the baby’s registration would be extremely unlikely to name the baby’s father or give his native place information.   A parish register for baptisms may well have a margin entry.  I mentioned that option several years ago, on this thread.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gilnockie Tower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HUME, Matilda. Looking for passage from Tasmania to mainland with father James
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
"The only indigenous person I have is a Jane Hume born 1863 to a Matilda Jane Hume, (dau of James Hume and Hannah Malley,) who later married her cousin James Hall Hume. Jane ( who appears to have been of mixed blood) married a James Bowles . There is an article that appeared in the Maitland newspaper a few days after Jane's birth in which both David and James Hall Hume were taken to court for assaulting an aboriginal.  Their defence was they did this to teach him to live up to his obligation to his new daughter and to give both mother and daughter full financial support."

I am starting to wonder if I ever did see this newspaper article. It was some years ago when I was on the Hunter Valley Genealogy Forum. I have not be able to find the article on TROVE or in my research files. Maybe the sole source of the above reference was from HVGF.
Thankyou RuleFamilyQld, sparrett & majm for your recent posts. I am analyzing your information for further research direction. Meanwhile here is a photo of my Grandmother Florence Ellweis Curtis Bowles daughter of Olive Jane Bowles nee Hume whom I never met. Florence looks more Ivory than Ebony to me !

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HUME, Matilda. Looking for passage from Tasmania to mainland with father James
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
The woman in the photograph, in my opinion, does not show indigenous characteristics as may be expected in one with an aboriginal heritage in her mother.
Sue

ADDING
It occurs to me that items in a forum, such as the one you mention, may be without factual basis.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ozchic

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 22 November 21 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Matilda Jane Hume is my GGGrandmother. Would anyone have a photo of her at all? I don't believe Jane's Father was the indigenous man as I am sure there would be a stronger resemblance of him in the generations that followed.