Author Topic: HUME, Matilda. Looking for passage from Tasmania to mainland with father James  (Read 6389 times)

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HUME, Matilda. Looking for passage from Tasmania to mainland with father James
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 03:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there two D. Hume persons at Dunmore at that time?

Maybe he didn't leave Dunmore as advertised!

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18657853?searchTerm=

Dunmore was the large property on which the Highlanders off the Government Bounty Ship 'Midlothian' settled in early 1838, many of the 'Midlothian' immigrants refused to separate and were settled as tenant farmers as a group on Dunmore.

Gerry

Gerry
That's quite possible , I know David Hume senior also had a son David Hume

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HUME, Matilda. Looking for passage from Tasmania to mainland with father James
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 04:21 BST (UK) »
James HUME the Saddler was married to Bridget GRAHAM.  Something to keep in mind is that both the Tailor and the Saddler lived in Elizabeth Street, Hobart at the same time.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 04:57 BST (UK) »
James HUME per Andromache 31 October 1837 to Sydney as a Bounty Immigrant. 
He was a  TAILOR, married, Episcopalian,  aged 22, native of Newcastle, England, and he was brought our by Messrs WALKER and Co.

His wife :
Margaret HUME per Andromache 31 October 1837 to Sydney, Bounty Immigrant, a seamstress, married, Episcopalian, aged 19, native of Newcastle, England, brought out by Messrs WALKER & Co. 

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5313/4_4780/Andromache_31 Oct 1837/4_478000010.jpg&No=2     (two page passenger list)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 05:21 BST (UK) »
I think James HUME, tailor was in Sydney in 1842.... See NSW State Records Insolvency Index which has the following
James HUME,
(Locality) Sydney
Tailors
Sequestration 12 December 1842
Certificate Issued 10 July 1844

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/keyname.aspx

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 05:41 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Wonder if there was another Hume brother in NSW in 1842 because the sequestration order for 12th December 1842 was for John and James Hume, tailors and drapers of Pitt Street.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230360547?searchTerm=

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 05:54 BST (UK) »

John Hume arriving from England, 1839.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12862965?searchTerm=

4th column part way down, JOHN HUME.

Gerry

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 06:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for 'tidying up' the early posts.  I think I get it now!  ::)

Perhaps this is him - although there seems to have been a few men of the same name:

Per Wanderer, Sydney to Tasmania, arr 26 October 1843
Jas HUME

Cannot see a departure from Tasmania on the LINC site, anyway, although there are a couple of departures listed but they are to Melbourne and do not appear to have a child accompanying.
https://www.linc.tas.gov.au/

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 07:48 BST (UK) »
I note that James and Margaret give their 'native place' as Newcastle and religion as Epicopalian, while David and his Hannah give Native Place as xxxxxxxxwick, Northumberland and religion as Presbyterian.

Here's a long shot.............

Lots of HUME family arriving 31 Jan, 1839 on the Andromache.  As all of them give their 'native place' as Newcastle on one list I suspect they may be family. They are all bracketed together and then each couple bracketed again.  the list below incorporates more than one immigration list, so I have combined the slightly different information.

Andrew HUME, 29 Carpenter,, Northumberland
Mrs HUME, 27, (Anne Amelia), dressmaker, Newcastle
Robert HUME, 2, Newcastle
(Marriage for this couple from FamilySearch)
Ann Amelia Mitford m Andrew HUME
15 Nov 1835, Saint John'S Parish, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England)

Robert HUME 25, mason, Northumberland
Mrs HUME (Sarah), 22, Northumberland, straw bonnet maker

Thos HUME, 21, mason, Northumberland, s/o Andrew and ? Gardiner
Mrs HUME, (Mary) 20, dressmaker, Durham, d/o James POTTS of Newcastle

George HUME (single) 22, plasterer, Northumberland
Mrs HUME, mother to above.(Ann nee STIRLING ?) m Andrew Hume, 2 Jun 1803 at Eglingham, Northumberland, England

Now the question is - are these your family?

I see this baptism which is possibly your James
FamilySearch
James HUME
Baptised 27 Sep 1815, All Saints, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
Mother:   Anne Hume (so possibly the mother of the HUME family arriving 1839)
FHL Film Number:   1068962, Reference ID:   item 3 p 147

There is at least one on-line tree which suggests that your James is a sibling of the above, however I would need a bit more of a hunt to verify this.

I'm thinking that IF Matilda had all these aunts and uncles it's possible that she was living with one of them.  She was only 6 when her mother died.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
I note that James and Margaret give their 'native place' as Newcastle and religion as Epicopalian, while David and his Hannah give Native Place as xxxxxxxxwick, Northumberland and religion as Presbyterian.

Here's a long shot.............

Lots of HUME family arriving 31 Jan, 1839 on the Andromache.  As all of them give their 'native place' as Newcastle on one list I suspect they may be family. They are all bracketed together and then each couple bracketed again.  the list below incorporates more than one immigration list, so I have combined the slightly different information.

Andrew HUME, 29 Carpenter,, Northumberland
Mrs HUME, 27, (Anne Amelia), dressmaker, Newcastle
Robert HUME, 2, Newcastle
(Marriage for this couple from FamilySearch)
Ann Amelia Mitford m Andrew HUME
15 Nov 1835, Saint John'S Parish, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England)

Robert HUME 25, mason, Northumberland
Mrs HUME (Sarah), 22, Northumberland, straw bonnet maker

Thos HUME, 21, mason, Northumberland, s/o Andrew and ? Gardiner
Mrs HUME, (Mary) 20, dressmaker, Durham, d/o James POTTS of Newcastle

George HUME (single) 22, plasterer, Northumberland
Mrs HUME, mother to above.(Ann nee STIRLING ?) m Andrew Hume, 2 Jun 1803 at Eglingham, Northumberland, England

Now the question is - are these your family?

I see this baptism which is possibly your James
FamilySearch
James HUME
Baptised 27 Sep 1815, All Saints, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
Mother:   Anne Hume (so possibly the mother of the HUME family arriving 1839)
FHL Film Number:   1068962, Reference ID:   item 3 p 147

There is at least one on-line tree which suggests that your James is a sibling of the above, however I would need a bit more of a hunt to verify this.

I'm thinking that IF Matilda had all these aunts and uncles it's possible that she was living with one of them.  She was only 6 when her mother died.

Judith

Yes, the Ann Hume ( married to Andrew Hume) listed above is mother to James Hume and David Hume who I am following. She would be Matilda's grandmother. We know from  at least 1863 she was staying with David and his wife Hannah and later married their son, her first cousin, James Hall Hume.
I have evidence that at least for a little while she was living with William Brettell and his wife Jane Ferrier Hume who was also the daughter of David Hume and Hannah Hume. We believe she was sent to live with them while she had an illegitimate pregnancy.