Author Topic: Can anyone help me please.  (Read 7655 times)

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me please.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 September 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi - my advice would be that to try to unravel these families you research (if you haven't done so) the Essex wills that relate to Fuel/Fuell/Fewel/Fewells.

You could take up monthly sub to FindMyPast for £1 which gives you access to the Essex Wills Beneficiaries Index, I can see from there there are more than 20 mentions of that name in wills - although nothing that immediately and obviously fits with your query. That would direct you to some wills to download from the Essex Record Office plus there are two where a Fewell is the testator.

All the best
Rob

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 September 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that suggestion Rob, I'll check it out as soon as I can. 
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 September 16 00:58 BST (UK) »
Looking at that baptism, I think the surname looks more like Burls. There is a baptism of a John to William and Hannah Burls at Felsted 26 May 1745

Hi Lizziel,
Thank you, I've now viewed the digital image and you are absolutely spot on, no question the surname is Burls, I am very grateful to you for spotting that error, that has taken a load of frustration away.  ;D  ;D

Looking at some old notes I found that on 26 April 2004 a fellow Fewell researcher who had purchased Felsted Microfiche confirmed the surname in the 1744 William baptism at Felsted as being Fuell.  I can't recall why I questioned the baptism at that time but obviously something was concerning me, probably having been hard to decipher I wanted another pair of eyes on the job.  ::)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 September 16 03:39 BST (UK) »
On this topic I have mentioned two Fuell/Fewell couples William and Elizabeth, Thomas and Elisabeth, so in the event someone comes along later who has an interest in either or both of those families here's what I've found.

Thomas Fuell married Elisabeth Judd 20 Jul 1735 at Holy Trinity Takeley.  three children all baptised at Takeley.
William and Thomas Fewel both baptised 27 Apr 1740.
John Fewel baptised 3 Oct 1745.

I feel pretty sure Elisabeth Judd, wife of Thomas, is the Elizabeth Judd who was baptised * Aug 1704 at Hatfield Broad Oak the daughter of William and Susanna Judd, also that she is the sister of my ancestor Ann(a) Judd baptised the same place * Nov 1706, Ann married Philip Fuel.

The Free Reg baptism entries for Elizabeth and Ann showed an asterisk in place of the day of the month, I'm not sure if that means the day of the month was difficult to decipher or if it was not given in the parish register, the latter I suspect.

William Fuell married Elizabeth Green 7 Dec 1761 at Holy Trinity Takeley, their children:-
William Fewell bap 7 Nov 1762 at St Mary the Virgin Hatfield Broad Oak (HBO)
James Fuell bap 17 May 1766 HBO.
John Fuell bap 22 Jan 1769 HBO and Takeley.
Elizabeth Fuell bap 21 Apr 1771 Takeley.

John's baptism on Free Reg is shown as at both Takeley and HBO, the same date for both places, no accompanying notes were shown in the Free Reg transcripts but I suspect like his sister Elizabeth he was baptised at Takeley and the baptism also recorded in HBO.
Elizabeth's baptism was at Takeley and also recorded in the HBO parish register, the HBO register noted that Elizabeth was baptised at Takeley by the Revd. Mr. Nicholson.

Again, many thanks to those people who got involved on my behalf, I am really grateful.

Regards.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 September 16 07:32 BST (UK) »

I feel pretty sure Elisabeth Judd, wife of Thomas, is the Elizabeth Judd who was baptised * Aug 1704 at Hatfield Broad Oak the daughter of William and Susanna Judd, also that she is the sister of my ancestor Ann(a) Judd baptised the same place * Nov 1706, Ann married Philip Fuel.

The Free Reg baptism entries for Elizabeth and Ann showed an asterisk in place of the day of the month, I'm not sure if that means the day of the month was difficult to decipher or if it was not given in the parish register, the latter I suspect.

Both baptisms are recorded on left hand sides of pages.The vicar has written the names first then month and then day, so on lhs the day disappears into the fold of the book. Elizabeth was the only baptism in that particular month so not able to guess at date. Anna was baptised as Anna Maria and there were several in that month, she was around the middle. It looks as if the date begins with a 1, so is somewhere in the teens.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 September 16 07:57 BST (UK) »
William and Susannah Judd had a son William bapt on 4 July 1708. In fact 1708 looks a good year for   Judds in HBO. Another William and his wife Sarah had a son John bapt on 17 June, and Alexander and Mary Judd had a daughter Elizabeth bapt on 25 May.

William and Susannah bapt a son Thomas on 20 Sept 1710, a son John bapt 3 Dec 1712, a daughter Susanna bapt 17 Jan 1714 (might be transcribed as 1713, but it's the January which comes after Dec 1713 in the register - so would be 1714 as we know it now), a daughter Jean bapt Feb 2- (another disappearing date) 1715 (comes after Dec 1714).
Can't find any later for William and Susannah, but several other Judd couples baptising children in HBO, and using same names. Alexander and mary also use name Jean twice (presumably their first jean died. So it's quite a large family.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 02:01 BST (UK) »

Both baptisms are recorded on left hand sides of pages.The vicar has written the names first then month and then day, so on lhs the day disappears into the fold of the book. Elizabeth was the only baptism in that particular month so not able to guess at date. Anna was baptised as Anna Maria and there were several in that month, she was around the middle. It looks as if the date begins with a 1, so is somewhere in the teens.

You might not be able to answer this but from your observation of those entries on Essex Ancestors, assuming that's where you viewed the entries, do you think if I contacted the
ERO Archivists they might be able to see enough of those entries in the original PRs to be able to tell me the day of the month?

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 02:24 BST (UK) »
William and Susannah Judd had a son William bapt on 4 July 1708. In fact 1708 looks a good year for   Judds in HBO. Another William and his wife Sarah had a son John bapt on 17 June, and Alexander and Mary Judd had a daughter Elizabeth bapt on 25 May.

William and Susannah bapt a son Thomas on 20 Sept 1710, a son John bapt 3 Dec 1712, a daughter Susanna bapt 17 Jan 1714 (might be transcribed as 1713, but it's the January which comes after Dec 1713 in the register - so would be 1714 as we know it now), a daughter Jean bapt Feb 2- (another disappearing date) 1715 (comes after Dec 1714).
Can't find any later for William and Susannah, but several other Judd couples baptising children in HBO, and using same names. Alexander and mary also use name Jean twice (presumably their first jean died. So it's quite a large family.

Thanks for that, the dates you show match exactly with those I obtained from Free Reg and the children you show are all I could come up with via Free Reg and Family Search.  I haven't gone any further back with that Judd family until I had the opportunity to go on the ERO's Essex Ancestors and confirm what I found on Free Reg, trying to avoid barking up the wrong tree.  :)  I think I will consider them confirmed thanks to your input.

I think I'm pretty safe in linking the Anna Maria Judd daughter of William and Susanna as the wife of Philip Fuell because I could find no marriage or burial I could attribute to Anna in HBO or elsewhere in Free Reg, F S, FindMyPast and The Genealogist.  There was a burial at HBO of an Anna Maria Judd 25 Jul 1725 but I believe she was the Hannah Maria Judd daughter of Alexander and Mary baptised July 1725.  As you noticed Alexander and Mary didn't have much luck with their children, three died young and their names were given to others, Elizabeth, Alexander and Jean.   Another reason to think the Anna Maria of William and Susanna was the wife of Philip Fuell is that Philip and Ann Fuell named their first two children William and Susanna.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 07:55 BST (UK) »

You might not be able to answer this but from your observation of those entries on Essex Ancestors, assuming that's where you viewed the entries, do you think if I contacted the
ERO Archivists they might be able to see enough of those entries in the original PRs to be able to tell me the day of the month?

Yes it was on Essex Ancestors (SEAX). The trouble with scanning from a bound volume is that it doesn't lie flat and a shadow is cast on the centre.
It would be worth asking the Archivist if they can have a look at the original record.  If you don't ask you don't get.