Author Topic: Did William Ennis hide out in Canada?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Did William Ennis hide out in Canada?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 September 16 03:58 BST (UK) »
I have wondered about that but, as far as I know, they had no relatives in Ontario.  This family was part of a substantial migration of people from the Ards Peninsula to Amherst Island.  The Ennises were from Kircubbin.  The migration began in the late 1820s and the people went as tenant farmers to work land owned by a major County Down land owner [whose name eludes me right now] who possessed land on Amherst Island.  This migration was the subject of a book that looked at the social structure, economics and living conditions of the communities in Ireland and in Canada.

Wilson, Catherine Anne.  New Lease on Life: Landlords, Tenants, and Immigrants in Ireland and Canada.     McGill-Queen's Press.  1994.  315 p.

http://www.mqup.ca/new-lease-on-life--a-products-9780773511170.php

I have read most of the book but, unfortunately, although many immigrants were mentioned by name, there were no Ennises or McGees included in the study.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 September 16 04:27 BST (UK) »
Probably not much help but is there a chance the name became "Innes"?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 September 16 04:32 BST (UK) »
Maybe I should have elaborated on my thought of "Innes"?

It seems a lot of both Irish & Scottish arrived in Canada & names "sounding" the same were written differently.

E.G. I know of M(a)cInnes (Scottish) being recorded as "M(a)cGuinness" (Irish) (not sure of sp)?

Just a thought?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 September 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
Of course the name could be misrecorded as Innes or some other variant.  Or William might have assumed another identity in order to hide, in which case he will be virtually impossible to find.  With just one exception [the 1850 census], their name was always recorded as 'Ennis.'  On the 1850 census, it was spelled 'Annis.'  I think that was an enumerator error because all of them were literate and all of them, as far as it is known, spelled their name the same way  -  Ennis.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline rowley_heir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
"Nephew William Ennis of Wisconsin" erected a gravestone for William Gelson (d. 1872) & his wife Mary (d.1873) Pentland Cemetery, Amherst Island. They had been freeholders and built a stone house that burnt ca 1899.

John Ennis and wife Nancy nee Pogue briefly were on the Island (between censui):
"1875 #005058, John Ennis, 29, Amherst Island, Ireland, B, Farmer, s/o John and Ellen Ennis, to Ann Jane Filson, 35, Amherst Island, Ireland, W, d/o John and Nancy Pogue, witn Henry Filson, Amherst Island, Mar 17 1875 Amherst Island, Presbyterian, Presbyterian, Rev. James MacIntosh"