Author Topic: Customs officer / Excise officer  (Read 1883 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Customs officer / Excise officer
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 September 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
I know that Customs and Excise amalgamated at some point but I believe that occurred later than the dates that I'm interested in. Is it logical that someone would start with Customs then move to Excise and then back to Customs? I think I read that Excise men could retire at 60 and receive a pension but I don't know about Customs men. Would they give up their pension if they moved between the two disciplines?

The combined Board of Customs and Excise was formed in 1909 by the transfer of responsibility for Excise from the Board of Inland Revenue.

You might want to start here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/customs-officers/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 September 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
Also wondering whether the Warehouse Keeper position was actually with Customs rather than with Excise. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Warehouse Keepers were appointed by the Commisioners of Customs, and the Commissioners of Excise.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ijn/
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 September 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
A bonded warehouse was a  secure unit.     Next to the docks usually.   Duty was charged when the goods were despatched from the warehouse.
Things like Whisky and tobacco.  And Tea  and Wine
But not always there was a railway bonded warehouse at Burton on Trent
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 September 16 21:58 BST (UK) »
Customs officers assessed and collected duty on imported goods - so they were to be found in ports.

Excise officers assessed and collected duty payable on goods manufactured in the UK - the main product of interest being alchohol.

Both organisations had a policy of not employing officers in their home area (as an anti-corruption measure).

It seems odd that the Excise would have an interest in a tea warehouse - tea was imported goods, duty would be collected by Customs.

The National Archives hold records related to the employment of both Customs and Excise Officers - the easiest place to start is the indexes to the Excise Minute Books (CUST 47). These are downloadable from the TNA site - year by year (tedious, but quciker than doing the same search in the originals at Kew).  The minute books record many (most?) postings, promotions etc.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Familyskeletons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 September 16 23:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all of you for your input.
I downloaded the Index to the Minute Books for many years and was able to find Henry's father's career path in Excise from that source. Unfortunately, Henry was in Customs up to 1820 and I understand that the equivalent records for Customs were destroyed in a fire in 1814. Does anyone know of another source for Customs information up to 1814?
I was able to find the person who signed my Henry's 1820 application to Excise in the Royal Kalendar (another wonderful source of information available on the internet) for 1821 - he shows up as the "Surveyor General of the Tea Warehouses" and he is in the Excise Department. My Henry must be at a lower rung of the ladder so will be more difficult to trace. Still not sure why Excise had Tea Warehouses but I guess why doesn't really matter.
Still more homework to do to determine how he got from the Teas Warehouse in Excise to being a Skin Inspector in Customs at the time of his death.
Legg Legge Curtis Meggitt Caswell King