Author Topic: Jarvis Carnelley - who were his family? 1700's  (Read 1487 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Jarvis Carnelley - who were his family? 1700's
« on: Sunday 25 September 16 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I've come across a Jarvis Carnelley, father of Ann Carnelley (baptised at Wentworth in June 1784).
Jarvis married Sarah Pepper at Wentworth on 28 Jul 1783.
I've been trying to find a baptism record for Jarvis - I initially found one at Wath Upon Dearne on 27th May 1744 (where the name was Jervase Kernley, with a father with the same name), but that seemed a little early - and I actually found a marriage transcription on Familysearch that suggested that the birth date of Jarvis was 1761,and the birth date of his wife Sarah Pepper was 1760.

I can't seem to find a baptism for Jarvis around 1761, and wondered if the rootschat community would help me out.
Many thanks for any help given,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jarvis Carnelley - who were his family? 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly

The marriage was by licence and the brief transcript on FindMyPast has Jarvis as 25 (c1758) and Sarah as 23.   Jarvis was 'of this chapelry' and Sarah from Brampton in the parish of Wath.

The closest match I can find for a baptism is 16 Nov 1755, Jervas & Daniel, twin children of Daniel Carnelly of Sutton  :-\

Added: Oops, should have mentioned that the baptism was at Campsall.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 00:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jomot, I think I did see that baptism but couldn't prove any links between them and my Carnelley's  :-\
I have now found the baptism of Sarah Pepper at Wath Upon Dearne though (bap 1 Mar 1759, with father called John Pepper), so thank you  :)

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 16 00:25 BST (UK) »
Just looking at that marriage again, Jarvis was said to be a bachelor but there is a marriage in Doncaster on 31 Aug 1775 between Jervais Carnelly of Masborough in the parish of Rotherham & Sarah Rhodes of Doncaster.  The marriage was again by licence and the witnesses were John & Mary Carnelly.

Whilst I was looking I also spotted these, all at Campsall:

01 Sep 1754 Jervass Carnley s/o Daniel (buried 11 Oct 1754)
04 Apr 1753 Gervass Carnely s/o William

There is a burial 14 Jul 1750 in Wath upon Dearn of Jervase Carnaley of Melton, Farmer.   His will is available from Borthwick, under the name Gervas Carnelly.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 16 00:39 BST (UK) »
Looks like that 1750 burial is your link - baptisms at Wath upon Dearne:

??? 1713 - William Carniley s/o Gervase (buried 11 Apr 1713)
19 Apr 1719 - Daniel Carnaley s/o Gervase
27 Jan 1722 - Will Carnaley s/o Gervas

There are a few others at Wath but I haven't checked them all, but William & Daniel were both sons of Gervase, both born Wath, and both named sons after their father. 

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 16 22:17 BST (UK) »
Using Genuki and the baptism transcripts there, I managed to find that Jarvis Carnelley's parents were Daniel Carnelly, a farmer of Kirk Smeaton, and Mary. So the 1755 baptism does seem the most likely at the moment, even though it is a few years early!

Offline bobcbassfisher9993

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 December 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I am new to the forum so apologies for late reply . I am a Carnelly  and have done extensive research in the area,many of the Carnellys were farmers in the Wath & Barnsley area 

The Jarvis who married Sarah Pepper was not directly of my line, as far as I can see, my ancestor married Sarah Rhodes .
There were many Jarvis Gervas etc.,  Carnelleys , Kernley was a mispelling by a particular rector at Wath .
I visited Wentworth Old Church Cemetery last year and found his gravestone
Dates read Jarvis died 10th May 1836 age 79   Sarah died 27th February 1839 age 80
Hope this helps if you require more , just ask . Regards, Bob Carnelly