Author Topic: Abraham Denny in St. Patrick's Gateway Centre Graveyard  (Read 2124 times)

Offline JoCo64

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Denny in St. Patrick's Gateway Centre Graveyard
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 April 20 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I realise this is  a very late response. I have recently been researching my Waterford Denny forebears. My family notes (from my grandmother) also record 2 people called Abraham Denny who were merchants in Waterford. The elder was father to the younger, and the younger was father to Henry Denny (Bacon merchant).
The elder is noted as: Abraham Denny, Merchant of & Freedom of Waterford, April 3rd 1769, m Hannah (dau of ?)
The younger is noted as: Abraham Denny, Merchant, freeman of Waterford, 1801, o.s.p.
The tomb that you identify appears therefore to be that of the younger, who was a Cordwainer or Shoemaker. His brother was Richard Denny: Richard Denny of Waterford Died 1755 buried at St Patricks,  wife Rose (dau of ?).
The notes record Richard's Son as: Hall John Denny, freeman of Waterford 16th Feb 1801, bur St Patricks Waterford 1803. Married first to "Rosannah dau of Kottsman" (I wonder whether this is a sounds like for Gottesman) "born 1749, m at St Patricks 1766 ob 1780". He appeared to remarry after 1780 to "Elizabeth dau of Burns". Confusingly Hall John Denny also had a son "Hall John Denny. Bapt St Patricks 1771"