Author Topic: Robert Glass, Linen Merchant, Lurgan, Portadown & Belfast  (Read 3837 times)

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Glass, Linen Merchant, Lurgan, Portadown & Belfast
« on: Monday 26 September 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching the family of Robert Glass who was born in Lurgan about 1830's. He moved to Portadown and then established a linen business in Belfast in 1878. His eldest son, Henry Matier Glass, was born in 1875. Henry had 2 daughters, Mabel & Sheila Glass. If anyone knows of any connections to this family I would be grateful to hear from them please.
Many thanks,
Michael.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Glass, Linen Merchant, Lurgan, Portadown & Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
We aren't allowed to post details of living people and you haven't mentioned when (or who) Henry might have married  :-\

Is this Henry Matier Glass in 1901 and 1911?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cromac/Cromwell_Road/968844
     lots of siblings mentioned. Are you only interested in Henry and his descendants?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton_Ward/Antrim_Road/170685
     still single in 1911 and I can't see a marriage on Emerald Ancestors free search

Glass Henry Matier of Ardlui Cranley Road Guildford Surrey died 8 February 1947 Probate London 9 June 1947 to Francis Ivan Carter solicitor. Effects in Northern Ireland £3937 10s. Re-sealed at Belfast 30 November.
     Lived in England so would the marriage and births of children be there also?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Aghadowey for that prompt reply.
I am actually looking to make contact with any living relative that is descended from Robert Glass. Henry had just the 2 daughters and they had no off-spring. So Henry's line ended in South Africa in 1989.
I have been unsuccessful in locating any descendant of Robert in Northern Ireland.

Thank you
Michael.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
Is this Henry Matier Glass in 1901 and 1911?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cromac/Cromwell_Road/968844
     lots of siblings mentioned. Are you only interested in Henry and his descendants?

You haven't confirmed if the 1901 and 1911 census are the correct Henry Glass but working from 1901 census...
1. Maria Glass (c1871 Co.Armagh)
     www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Urban/Green_Street/192213
2. Helen Glass (c1873 Co.Armagh)
3. Henry M. Glass (c1876 Co.Armagh)
4. John B. Glass (c1879 Belfast)
     www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton_Ward/Antrim_Road/170685
5. James Glass (c1880 Belfast)
6. William Glass (c1881 Belfast)
     Possibly?
     www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton__Belfast_Urban_No__2/Cedar_Avenue/134227
7. George S. Glass (c1884 Belfast)
     www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Cromac/Fitzroy_Avenue/159869
8. daughter married Sinclair & had son Robert Louis Sinclair (c1896 Belfast)

Possible Maria didn't marry- Glass Maria Lambert Matier of 3 Crescent Gardens and of 58 Castleton Gardens both in Belfast spinster died 15 August 1952 at latter place Probate Belfast 9 September to George Johnston solicitor. Effects £2703 2s. 7d.

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 16 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Aghadowey,
Yes, that is indeed the same family. My apologies for not confirming in my first reply.
William was killed 23 April 1917.
As far as I can determine, Maria was still alive and single in 1911 and a Governess to the McConnell family.
If there is a way to discover if the remaining 4 children had off-spring then I would like to link them with Henry Matier Glass.
thank you,
Michael.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
In reply #3 I gave link to Maria as governess in 1911 census.

If I've found the correct William Glass in 1911 census (see also link in reply #3) then he had a wife and at least one child.

Administration (with the Will) of the Estate of William Glass late of Barule Parkmount Road Belfast Second Lieutenant 6th Royal Highlanders who died 23 April 1917 in France granted at Belfast to Henry M. Glass Manager. (Limited)
PRONI will have the Will and admistration paperwork which should indicate if he was survived by wife and legitimate child(ren) or siblings.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Gosh, you are really moving rapidly here !!

You are 100% correct that William was married to Harriet. They had 4 sons and moved to the Isle of Man when WW1 broke out.

You are also correct that the death notice for Robert is Henry & William's father who died in 1887.

Likewise, that is a daughter of Henry M. & Harriet that died in 1909 aged one day.

You have uncovered the still born death of a son in 1919 that I was unaware of. Thank you very much for that Aghadowey. They had just moved back into Belfast in 1919 from Whitehead where they lived during WW1. 'Cedars' was the name of the house and it was in the Knock area of Belfast.

Henry Matier Glass was the General Manager of Workman Clark, shipbuilders during WW1.

Thank you again. You are terrific.
Michael.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 September 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
I would be much quicker if I wasn't 5000 miles from home  ;)

Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Robert Glass late of Belfast Merchant who died 14 March 1887 at same place were granted at Belfast to James Glass of Bedford-street Belfast Merchant the Curator of the Minor and Infant Children (Limited.)

Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Robert Glass late of Ulsterville-avenue Belfast Merchant who died 14 March 1887 at same place (left unadministered by James Glass Curator of Minor Children) were granted at Belfast to Robert Glass of 14 Posnett-street Belfast Merchants' Assistant the Son. (Former Grant 16 September 1887.]
Seems as though there was also a son Robert and estate wasn't sorted out until date of grant (19 July 1895- possibly due to children being minors when he died?)

1880 directory- http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1880gh.htm
Glass, James, & Co., linen handkerchief, cambric manufacturers, 5 Bedford St.
Glass, J., (of J. Glass & Co.), 5 College Park East
Glass, J. D., linen merchant, 5 College Park East
Glass, Robert, & Co., linen merchants and manufacturers, 22 Bedford Street
Glass, Robt., (of R. Glass & Co.), 29 Ulsterville Avenue

1901- http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1901FG.htm
Glass, Robert, & Co., linen merchants, 33 Donegall Place

1907- http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1907FG.htm
Glass, Hy., draughtsman, 44 Cromwell Road

1918- http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1918FG.htm
Glass, J. B., tea agent, 81a Victoria Street

Much more in the directories