Author Topic: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher Eckington  (Read 4858 times)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher Eckington
« on: Monday 26 September 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Any ideas please as to the location of this

Street scene with DALE shop front

Street scene on slight incline. At top of street is shop named DALE. Large windows either side of arched entrance.  Above left window: Outfitter, Bespoke Tailor and right: House Furnisher, Bedding. Above arch: DALE'S Bedstead and furniture Warehouse.

To right row of brick built terraced houses with ground floor bay windows with row of shops beyond (no names visible).

With thanks~001uk
TABB of Saltash

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher UK LOCATION help, please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
From the Salisbury and Winchester Journal - Monday 17 September 1838
However looking at the old maps oppposite the Black Swan Inn does not fit with the photograph, but as this is 1838, they could have moved by the time it was taken.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher UK LOCATION help, please
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 16 21:43 BST (UK) »
From the Salisbury and Winchester Journal - Monday 17 September 1838
However looking at the old maps oppposite the Black Swan Inn does not fit with the photograph, but as this is 1838, they could have moved by the time it was taken.
Stan

Hi Stan
Thanks for the info which as you suggest is a bit too early. The image featured is more c1910. Dale does not feature in the Kelly's Directory for Hampshire under Andover for the issues of 1898 & 1911.
TABB of Saltash

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 16 21:59 BST (UK) »
Judging by the blurring of the people on the right, I would have thought the photo was earlier than 1910.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 00:00 BST (UK) »
Trying to check out an interesting record for Ernest Adeney Dale,Church Street,Edmonton(maybe home address rather than business?)

Regards
Roger

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Dale's in Lower Edmonton/ Edmonton Green did indeed sell Furniture etc a well known landmark, my recollections of it was that is was a 3 storey cube with the ground floor large windows, alongside it a 2? storey rectangular portion?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 00:34 BST (UK) »
At the moment I'm just going on a census description of his profession,but rapidly running out of dopamine..back tomorrow..

Regards
Roger

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Dale's in Lower Edmonton/ Edmonton Green did indeed sell Furniture etc a well known landmark, my recollections of it was that is was a 3 storey cube with the ground floor large windows, alongside it a 2? storey rectangular portion?
Keyboard86

Hello keyboard86 (and despair),

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the 1914 Kelly's Directory for Middlesex and found their entry (see below). They're listed (principally) as Drapers so I suspect it's not the one in my photo. I expect you recognize their (Edmonton) address beater than I to confirm.
TABB of Saltash