Author Topic: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher Eckington  (Read 4863 times)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher UK LOCATION help, please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 07:38 BST (UK) »
Judging by the blurring of the people on the right, I would have thought the photo was earlier than 1910.

Hello dublin1850,
The photo is in fact a postcard! Going by the 'finish' of the card it cannot be that much earlier than about 5 years absolute maximum. The technology wasn't around. IF anything it might be a shade later (than 1910). It doesn't look like a 'reprint' of an earlier image - something you very rarely see in postcards of this age.

The blurring also affects (to a lesser degree) the men on and by the cart. I suspect they were just moving when the photo was taken & unaware of the photographer's presence! People tended to stop and pose (taking into account the amount of time it took to take a photo) as it was very much a novelty then.
TABB of Saltash

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Street scene DALE shop front:Tailor Outfitter Furnisher UK LOCATION help, please
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
Please look at Ernest's 1911 census entry,if you have access.

Regards
Roger

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 07:45 BST (UK) »
I don't think the postcard pic is 1800's as I don't think there would be pavements?

Not that I'm "clued up" but that's my thought?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 08:01 BST (UK) »
Please look at Ernest's 1911 census entry,if you have access.

Regards
Roger

There's an online tree that has Ernest Adeney Dale as Silk weavers and Stay makers.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
The description which attracted my attention was "draper outfitter furnisher".

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 08:20 BST (UK) »
I have found a picture of Dales department store,The Green,Edmonton as in the father,Henry's address,and it is clearly not the same(scroll down).

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-edmonton.htm

Whether the son had different premises...?

Regards
Roger

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 08:22 BST (UK) »
Might it be Burslem, Staffordshire? There was a furniture warehouse there at 45-47 Liverpool Road, proprietors  Daniel Dale and subsequently his widow Sarah Dale. In operation from the 1870's through to post-1901.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
The Edmonton Dales might have to had a Manchester branch

Advert 26 October 1901 in Leeds Mercury for Junior young  man for Manchester Department of Mr. Dale’s, Draper, Edmonton, Middlesex.

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
I don't think the postcard pic is 1800's as I don't think there would be pavements?
Annie

Hi Annie,
It is impossible for the pc to be in the 1800s!! This type of PC did not come about until the "Golden Age" c1910 +/-
TABB of Saltash