Author Topic: William and John Boyd - from Scotland to South Africa  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William and John Boyd - from Scotland to South Africa
« on: Tuesday 27 September 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a 1901 Australian newspaper article which states that Donald Boyd (born 1863 Scotland, immigrated to Au ca1883,) a storekeeper-general merchant was leaving NSW to go into business with his brother in Bloemfontein.  He was, however, in Glasgow in 1903 and back in Australia before 1908. 

There are two possible brothers: William, born 1865 and John, born 1862, both in Scotland.

Looking for William on family search brings up:
1889: William Boyd, 23yrs, a shop keeper, married Margaret Jocoba de Wet, 22yrs, 29 May, Cape Town
1950: William Boyd, born in Scotland, a Retired General Dealer (own account) now an Old Age Pensioner and a widower, died aged 84yrs.  His place of residence was Nazareth House, Mill Street, Cape Town.  Burial at the Dutch Reformed Church Cemetery, Mowbray.

John Boyd – tenuous!
1920 Annie Hay Boyd, 30 yrs, married Ernest Cecil Trafford, 34yrs at Pietermaritzburg, witnesses John Boyd and Charlotte Trafford.

Have saved this record simply because the parents of these three men were John Boyd and Annie Hay McLeay.

It’s quite possible, of course that both brothers went to South Africa.  Can anyone please help consolidate or dispel William and John?

brigau

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William and John Boyd - from Scotland to South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
Is this your Boyd family on 1871 census living Dunvegan Castle, Duirinish, Invernessshire,

John   Boyd   1827   Gamekeeper   Invernessshire
Annie H       1837      Lochbroom, Ross & Cromarty
Mary Ann      1860      Ross & Cromarty,
John          1862      Ross & Cromarty,
Donald      1864      Ross & Cromarty
William   1866      Creich, Sutherland
Hay          1866      Creich, Sutherland
Lousie      1868      Duirinish, Invernessshire
Maggie      1870      Duirinish, Invernessshire
Marina   McLean   1854   General Servant Domestic   Duirinish, Invernessshire   
Kitty   McSwan           1858   General Servant Domestic   Duirinish, Invernessshire, Scotland   

Mary Ann Boyd Birth year   1859
Place    Rosskeen County   Ross & Cromarty
father John Boyd
mother Annie Mac Leay

John Boyd birth year 1861
Place    Rosskeen County   Ross & Cromarty
father John Boyd
Mother Annie Mc Leay

Donald Boyd Birth year   1863
Rosskeen  County   Ross & Cromarty
father John Boyd
mother Annie Mc Leay

Hay Mc Leay Boyd & William Boyd Birth year   1865
Place    Creich County   Sutherland
father John Boyd
Mother's first name(s)   Annie Hay Mc Kenzie
Mother's last name   Mc Leay
transcriptions from Scotland Births & Baptisms 1564-1950

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 19:59 BST (UK) »
S'mai, Ladyhawk,

Yes, thank you, absolutely it is.  John Boyd snr was a gamekeeper who moved around with his job.  I mostly have the Scottish records sorted, it's just taking them further  :P  Donald & William were still in Scotland in 1881 but can't see John.  Hay went to Pennsylvania; Louise went to Ireland and Donald as mentioned, settled in Au

brigau

Offline JeffRobertson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, not sure what you know about John Boyd but my great grand mother's Sister might have married John Boyd in Johannesburg - they had a Daughter Annie.
Jeff Robertson

Offline rodboyd50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 April 19 09:12 BST (UK) »
Good day, my GGrandfather John Boyd was born in 1862, married Agnes Alexander in 1889, had two children John (b1890) and Peter Ferguson (b1893) and emigrated to South Africa in 1902/3 because Agnes was in ill-health. She subsequently died and he re-married but I cannot trace any details of this second marriage.

My Grandfather was John of the first marriage who married Gertrude Greaves in 1920. They had four children, Agnes, John, Peter (my father) and Neil. My Grandfather was killed by a car in 1946 in Germiston, South Africa.

Mt G/Grandfather's father was also John Boyd (apparently a family tradition to call the first son John) and his mother was Elizabeth nee Patrick.

Hope this helps.