Author Topic: Quarantine Ship SS Bendigo 1933  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Jumum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quarantine Ship SS Bendigo 1933
« on: Tuesday 27 September 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about a ship called the SS Bendigo.  I have a passenger list for Henry George Hallam (the person I am researching).  He was headed for Freemantle in Australia.  The passenger list indicates this was a quarantine ship. His brother John is also listed as a passenger.

Any information on what a quarantine ship is and why he would be on it, or any information about Henry (Born 1896 in St. George in the East, London) would be greatly received.

Julia Haswell

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quarantine Ship SS Bendigo 1933
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
SS. Bendigo was a P&O Liner which sailed from London, here is a note with small picture in 1933 just before she arrived into Freemantle:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/58700944?searchTerm=%22SS%20Bendigo%22

Are you sure it wasn't just a quarantine list? It wouldn't be unusual for passengers who were or were suspected to be ill with something infectious to be prevented from landing until they had undergone medical treatment or to be held just until it was clear if they were infected or not, as in this 1938 reference: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/41671475?searchTerm=%22quarantine%22
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
What information leads you to the theory that the ship was in Quarantine?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
Are you looking at the passenger list which is headed
Commonwealth of Australia
Department of Health
Quarantine Service

If so, thatís not indicating that the ship itself was a Quarantine Ship.   It is simply the list that was prepared by the Medical Officer on board to show the passengers details.   The Commonwealth of Australia occupies an entire continent and even today with tourists arriving by air, there is still strict Quarantine Rules in operation.    In coming by sea, the quarantine services can be checked on board the ship and any concerns monitored during the voyage, and the paperwork was, in the 1930s, the responsibility of the Quarantine Service, which was part of the federal (Commonwealth of Australia) Department of Health. 

Here is a link to the free to search images of the passenger list.  (fourteen pages).   There are two chaps with the surname HALLAM on that voyage.  Neither has a second given name.   

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=12054703

(Hallam entries are on page 8 )

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 12:42 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about a ship called the SS Bendigo.  I have a passenger list for Henry George Hallam (the person I am researching).  He was headed for Freemantle in Australia.  The passenger list indicates this was a quarantine ship. His brother John is also listed as a passenger. Any information on what a quarantine ship is and why he would be on it, or any information about Henry (Born 1896 in St. George in the East, London) would be greatly received.

I have no idea why you think the person on the SS Bendigo 1933 is the one you have described above considering you say you have the passenger list  ???

Passenger list as Henry HALLAM not Henry George or Henry G.
He was 59yrs, caretaker, ticketed to land in Tasmania.
Died 16 Feb 1963 age 89 years & buried at Piper Rivers, St Albans Anglican Cemetery, George Town, Tasmania.

John HALLAM who was travelling with him was 66yrs, retired bank officer also ticketed to land in Tasmania.
Other family members had previously emigrated & settled in the area.

Their last address in the UK was 22 Western Rd, Romford, Essex.

So... if you require help to find your Henry George HALLAM I suggest you gives us information such as his parents names, etc. There are a few by the name of Henry George/George Henry/Henry HALLAM appearing in AUS records.

Offline Jumum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying to my post.  I am learning new things everyday.  I now know Henry wasn't on a quarantine ship but was a passenger on the SS Bendigo and he was quarantined.  I only found the one page of the passenger list headed Commonwealth of Australia Quarantine Service so, in my ignorance assumed is was a quarantine ship.

So thank you wonderful people for putting my right and I can now go on with my research.

Best wishes

Julia   :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 16 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The passengers on the SS Bendigo were NOT quarantined.  They were simply at sea, transiting from the UK to Australia.   The (CoA) Department of Health had the legal responsibility to ensure that the people coming to Australia were not bringing any adverse health issues to Australia.  Because Australia is an ISLAND continent, even today there are still many adverse health issues that do NOT reach our shores.     All ships, from all lines, all were subject to the checks that the (CoA) Department of Health required.   The Department of Health's services were carried out by its Quarantine Service (section).   Your Henry HALLAM was NOT a passenger on that voyage. 

JM

Thank you for replying to my post.  I am learning new things everyday.  I now know Henry wasn't on a quarantine ship but was a passenger on the SS Bendigo and he was quarantined.  I only found the one page of the passenger list headed Commonwealth of Australia Quarantine Service so, in my ignorance assumed is was a quarantine ship.

So thank you wonderful people for putting my right and I can now go on with my research.

Best wishes

Julia   :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Cali369

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 April 19 15:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know of passenger list records for the return journey?  ie Australia to UK

I have a postcard in my collection of the SS Bendigo and my grandmother has written on the back that they returned to the UK from Malta on this ship in 1935.  I can see that the route was via Malta and the Suez from 1929 so that fits.
Tassell - Kent (Headcorn)
Thorpe - Kent (Hadlow)
Saxby - Kent (Brenchley)
Law - Kent (Shaddoxhurst)
Milgate - Kent
Boughton - Kent (Sittingbourne/Newnham/Rodmersham)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 19 15:24 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has the UK Incoming Passenger Lists and I can see the Bendigo arriving in January , May and September 1935. If you would like to give some details I'm sure someone will be able to help.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk