Author Topic: Not so distant relatives  (Read 4684 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Not so distant relatives
« on: Wednesday 28 September 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
I have found it easier to research my distant ancestors than more modern ones.
My father is not on the 1939 register and I do not know why this would be. As the 1921 census is a long way off I cannot fill in any gaps for him. Where did he grow up ?what school did he attend?Who brought him up?(I have doubts that it was his mother)
It is so frustrating. He was born in 1914 in Falmouth and died in 1961 in Plymouth and we believe had a higher education in Aberdeen, but why? He was also blockaded in Malta in WW2 as he was a dockyard worker.If anyone has any further ideas as to how I could find out anything about him I would be grateful. He was William Arthur John West and he died when I was a toddler so I cannot fill in these gaps as my mother passed when I was a teenager. As I said any ideas?
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Not so distant relatives
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
If he was already in the army or abroad he wouldn't be in the 1939 register, so that could explain why you can't find him there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 19:43 BST (UK) »
That is my problem though, I dont know ,I didnt think that the dockyard workers went to Malta until later, but who would have such information?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Were his parents on the 1939?

He may be on the Scottish 1939 which I believe is a pallaver in itself to find out?

When/where did he marry & what was his occupation on marriage?

Where did you find info. of higher education in Aberdeen?

Do you recall where in Aberdeen as there may be a way of finding him there?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi What about local newspaper to see if his death has been reported or obituary which might? give some info.

Kathy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 20:45 BST (UK) »
Just to get some background on the query ~

Were his parents William F West and Hettie Burton (m 1911,Falmouth)?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. Yes his parents were Hettie and William. The background is this: born Falmouth 25/02/1914, father killed WW1, mother Hettie remarries Arthur Lisburne, formerly Flatman,may have been a bigamous marriage as Arthur changed his name and escaped a marriage to a Daisy Neal in Croydon 1908.
Vague family story from my mother says he went to college in Aberdeen but lodged in Peterhead.
I remember electrical engineering books with a bookplate saying Aberdeen School of something (all my family effects were sold off I have nothing left).
My Dad was in the Malta blockade and lost loads of weight may have effected his later health.
He died in 1961 in Plymouth. Thats all I know ,I have newspaper artices about his death and remember anecdotes about him from my mother but very vague. He was close to step Aunts in Croydon and his fathers family were from Curry Rivel. I know he visited them but noone left alive there now. Thanks for any help everyone.
Incidentally I have tried writing to various newspapers in the past with a little success but nothing that helped tremendously.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
I have to say with my greatgrandfather I wonder if his birth is mistranscribed and he's incorrectly closed.

I've found his wife (my great, grandmother living with a sorter from the post office who I don't recognise - maybe a lodger? ), my grandfather (who died in 1991 so his is open) and 6 others who are closed.

They only had 6 children in total (including my grandfather) so there is a mystery person living in the house - either Bert (the sorter) had a child who lived there as well, or was my greatgrandfather one of those who is closed  despite being born in 1901

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 September 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Have you considered getting his WW2 service record? It won't help answer the questions you asked here, but anything you do discover may help fill in some gaps.

Did he have any siblings?