Author Topic: Info needed on ship Brecknels/Bricknells, Appears not to exist!  (Read 3164 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Info needed on ship Brecknels/Bricknells, Appears not to exist!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Westoe,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated indeed.

That is some fantastic info, very much appreciated. I have found a few other cargo lists for George Hill on the Brecknells, also a few for his next ship the Laurel! Absolutely Brilliant!

She is listed in Lloyd's Reg 1849
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Mz0SAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:0Ftz6zT302-gFzEJxA5c6C&lr=#v=onepage&q&f=false

Just to add that I have also found the Brecknells with George Hill as master in the registers for 1850 & 1851. The entry & details for George in 1851 have a line through them though, with what appears to be the next masters details underneath. This matches/confirms the info I already had that he was on another ship by July 1851.

Many thanks again for all help & assistance, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MammaMia17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 June 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi DavidJP,

I don't think I can send a PM as I've not posted yet or navigated my way around this site, so am hoping this will reach you!

George Hill (b. Yetholm 1821- d. Morpeth 1903) is my 3rd great grandfather so I do believe we are related :)  I am (hopefully) attaching a picture (poor quality sorry) of a painting of the SS Brecknells of Blyth which he was Captain of.

Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Wyatt, Howard, Fulcher - Thetford, Norfolk
Hill, Aitchison/Aitcheson, Spink, Parker - Roxburghshire/East Lothian & Blyth/Northumberland
Gray - Durham/Northumberland
Wheeler - India, Ireland

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi MammaMia17,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to RootsChat,

It is fantastic to hear from you! What a wonderful surprise, I had nearly given up hope of ever seeing the painting! To see it for the first time today, what a wonderful birthday surprise (yes, it is my birthday today! ;D).

George Hill (1821-1903) is also my 3x gt grandfather as well. He had five children, two died in infancy & a third married but had no children. What is your line of descent? Thomas Parker Hill (1851-1922) who had six children or George Hill (1856-1941) (my gt gt grandfather) who had seven children?

The PM system is as you say not operational to you until you have made three posts. I think it is three posts anyway! ;D

As regards the brig Brecknells, George Hill (1821-1903) was its very first captain. He was captain of the ship from 1849 to 1851. The Brecknells was built in 1849 & seems to disappear from the records (English/British ones anyway!) in 1855, what happened to the ship after that I do not know!

I would be more than happy to share what family info &/or the fair amount of info that I have regarding George Hill's Merchant Navy career. Would also be interested to here/know what info you have/know about either.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MammaMia17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 June 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi DavidJP,

Thanks for the welcome and a belated happy birthday!  :)

The painting was apparently presented to Captain George Hill when he retired in 1865. Sadly, we do not know of its whereabouts now - understand it was sold at some point :(

George Hill (1856-1941) and Alice Spink are my great, great grandparents. Their son Francis George Hill (1893-1984) who married Frances Gray are my great grandparents. What about you?

I too have quite a lot of information about George Hill and his Master Mariner career and have also traced back to his parents James Hill and Elspeth Aitcheson although some of the info/dates become a bit sketchy at this point!! Likewise be very happy to share any info or photos etc.

If I reply once more, can we then communicate via private message?

Best regards, Sarah (MammaMia17)
Hill, Aitchison/Aitcheson, Spink, Parker - Roxburghshire/East Lothian & Blyth/Northumberland
Wheeler - India, Ireland

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 June 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for the belated birthday wishes. much appreciated.

Hadn't realised that the painting had been presented to him! Although thinking about it, I do seem to recall my late grandmother saying something about it being possibly in the family somewhere, but that didn't she know where. I think that replies 1 & 3 to this thread by ShaunJ suggest a possible owner in 1994, as the painting appears to be listed in the catalogue of a Danish museum, if I understand it correctly! Until my late grandmother mentioned the painting, I had no idea of its existence! Captain George Hill retired in 1865?! I have records that show he continued at sea until about 1878 before becoming a Grocer back on dry land.

George Hill & Alice Spink are my gr gr grandparents as well, their daughter (their youngest child) Isabella Hill (1895-1981) who married Arthur George Cyril Bauer (1895-1968) are my great grandparents.

I have also traced back to James Hill & Elspeth Aitcheson & your absolutely right, some of the info/dates are a little sketchy at this point, as I have the same problem!! I have possibles for their births/baptism etc, but nothing concrete!

Yes, one more post, then if you prefer, we can continue via private message.

Kind regards

David

Offline MammaMia17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 July 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Yes according to my Grandmother's handwritten notes, it was presented to George (b.1822) on his retirement in 1865. Whether this date is correct however I am not sure!

I do also remember in my searches over the years that I found another George Hill in same area who also died in same year (1903) which caused me some confusion for a while. ??? I think this George (rather than ours) may have been a grocer but I might be wrong. Would need to check.

I do have a couple of mates certificate records and some info on George's mariner career but not in the latter years.

The only concrete date for James Hill and Elsepth is the info from my Grandmother that they were married in Dunbar, East Lothian on 8th April 1803 and which I found a record to confirm.

I don't know if you have a picture of Isabella Parker, but I have one as well as one of George and Alice. I have 2 photos of George Hill (b. 1856) as well. Happy to share!

I will see if I can work out the PM system this week and send more info :-)

Best regards, Sarah
Wheeler - India, Ireland

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 July 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Apologies for the tardy response!

I do also remember in my searches over the years that I found another George Hill in same area who also died in same year (1903) which caused me some confusion for a while. ??? I think this George (rather than ours) may have been a grocer but I might be wrong. Would need to check.

These George Hill's are one & the same! After he left the merchant navy he became a Grocer. He lived quite seperately from the family for some reason! I don't know why!

In 1891, he is aged 68 & a Grocer living in Longbenton, Northumberland. 1901, he is in a Convalescent Home on Whitley Links, Whitley Bay aged 78 & a retired Sea Captain. He then ends up in Tynemouth Union Workhouse (probably the hospital part of it) before being transferred to the County Asylum at Morpeth, where he died. I have his death cert.

I do have a couple of mates certificate records and some info on George's mariner career but not in the latter years.

I have quite a lot of stuff regarding his whole seagoing career, even down to the types of cargoes he was transporting on some of his voyages!

The only concrete date for James Hill and Elsepth is the info from my Grandmother that they were married in Dunbar, East Lothian on 8th April 1803 and which I found a record to confirm.

They were indeed married on that date in Dunbar, East Lothian. The only children to the marriage that I know of at present are:

James Hill born  between 1803-1811 (a probable son)
William Hill born 5th May 1805/chr 13th May 1805 at Dunbar to James Hill & Elizabeth Aitchison.
Ninian Hill born 18th July 1819 in Yetholm, Roxburghshire.
George Hill born 14th Dec 1821 in Yetholm, Roxburghshire.

I don't know if you have a picture of Isabella Parker, but I have one as well as one of George and Alice. I have 2 photos of George Hill (b. 1856) as well. Happy to share!

I don't have any photos of Isabella Parker at all. I have not good copies of a couple of photos of Alice Hill (Nee' Spink) but none of George Hill b1856. If I could have all four photos that you mention that would be wonderful!

As regards the PM system, under each persons avatar on the left hand side of the screen, there are two symbols. The first one (a person) is the link to the persons profile. The other one (a piece of paper (I think!)) is the PM symbol. Click on this under the person to whom you wish to PM (In this case me! ;D) and that will take you to the PM screen & it should be fairly straight forward from there! Hope these instructions help!

Kind regards

David