Author Topic: Emanuel Lovekin Trial on 27th July 1842  (Read 713 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Emanuel Lovekin Trial on 27th July 1842
« on: Saturday 01 October 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information in respect of this trial at the Shropshire quarter sessions on 27th July 1842- in connection with Chartist activities and research.

many thanks for any help

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emanuel Lovekin Trial on 27th July 1842
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
hi caroline
all i can find is this he was tried for conspiring to raise the rate of wages [ which you probably already realise ] found guilty but discharged on sureties thats all the record states .
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trevor- that is great! I don't suppose the records show who stood the sureties for him? Just a long shot!

Were the quarter sessions held at shrewsbury please? Or at another location in Shropshire.

Caroline :)
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of obtaining a press report of the trial? The British Library are likely to hold a copy of the relevant newspaper. They will conduct a 20 minute search free of charge, so if you can give the as much detail as you can - where, when and suggest a local publication likely to have a report - it will increase the chances of a successful result in the time available. They will then, for a modest fee, provide you with a copy. Whether it will provide the information you seek is anyone's guess.

I suggest you ask for the copy to be on A3. I unwisely requested A4 with the result that the print was so reduced that I require a magnifying glass to read it! Lesson learned.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice. I have heard from the shropshire archives who tell me they have the Shropshire chronicle on microfiche and it is a reasonable train journey from Cheshire for a day out! So will see how I get on!  many many thanks

Caroline