Author Topic: Royal Marines - trying to find my husband's grandfather  (Read 1176 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Royal Marines - trying to find my husband's grandfather
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 05:20 BST (UK) »
Hello to all you knowledgeable folk,
I am taking my first foray into the wonderful world of British service records and thought that before I started I should ask for some advice   :D

What I want to try to do is to find out as much as I can about my husband's grandfather, Albert Thomas GOODE, who was in the Royal Marines.  Here is what we know about him and his service:

• He was born in 1904 in Enfield, north London - parents Albert GOODE and Mary TITMUSS.
  • He was stationed at some stage in Alexandria, Egypt
  • He is believed to have had something to do with engineering and working on ships in dock
  • He married Margaret Patricia STRATFORD or STAFFORD sometime around 1941
  • He died in the mid 1970s

Unfortunately hubby's family were not big ones for family history and there is really nothing else that we know about Albert.  I live in Australia and find it difficult to work out how to have records searched at the National Archives in London, and how to get copies of anything that's found.  Can someone give me some pointers, please?

Fingers crossed... ;D

Prue

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Marines - trying to find my husband's grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 05 06:26 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

HI Prue,

This topic has been covered before, and you might find it helpfulful to click on the link below

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,50667.0.html

:D :D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 05 08:42 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks Mobo; guess I should have searched a bit harder for that thread  :-[  ;D

Do you think I will get very far if I don't have anything but this fellow's name to go by?

Prue

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 05 08:57 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Hi Prue

Looking at your original post, I'm not sure you will get anywhere.   You could try writing to the Admiralty (see address on previous link), but unless you can prove the person is dead and that you are his 'next of kin', I don't hold out much hope.

Sorry

:D :D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 05 09:04 BST (UK) »
OK thanks Mobo, doesn't sound too promising but I will see if hubby's mother has her father's death certificate - that might be a good place to start.

Cheers
Prue