Author Topic: 1723 Marriage of William ? and Ellen Woods  (Read 2864 times)

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1723 Marriage of William ? and Ellen Woods
« on: Sunday 02 October 16 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Any opinions on the surname of William who married Ellen Woods (third from bottom) on 27 August 1723 at Ormskirk?

The entry has been transcribed as Reed and I can understand that, however, there is a very long downstroke on the L in Lathom the entry above it which may mean that the name could actually Peed.

What I would like is for it to be a marriage between William Peet and Ellen Woods. The surname is not an easy one to research as very early records are for the surname “Pink”, then it goes to “Peet alias Pink” and then onto Peet. The Peet surname itself can also have a multitude of transcription errors “Poot” is a common one because “e” often looks like an “o”.

There are four baptisms at Ormskirk for children of William Peet in 1724, 1726, 1727 and 1730, and another baptism for a child of William and Ellen Peet in 1732. Ellen Peet, “wife of William” was buried at Ormskirk in 1737.

Any help appreciated.

Gail
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Online horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1723 Marriage of William ? and Ellen Woods
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 16 06:12 BST (UK) »
Agree with Peed.

Look at the Rs in Rogers and Richard.  If it were Reed the R would descend below the line.

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 16 06:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Horsleydown, that's what I was hoping. Plus there doesn't really appear to be any Reed's in Ormskirk at that time  ;D
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Edited From Pvilliam Reed

I'm wondering if the writer did it deliberatelly

Look at the top entry

Thomas Rogers

Thomas Mollyneux

The writer has made the end of the R tail part of the M in Molly

The tail end coming down from the 'R' above line and put a ' N ' through the tail the 'R' to make M

The write made the R tail very distinctly !! very black into the P in what look like R
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
Didn't even cross my mind on the first name but now you mention it does look like Pvilliam  :o

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
Edited

Look at the top entry

Thomas Rogers

Thomas Mollyneux

The writer has made the end of the R tail part of the M in Molly

The tail end coming down from the 'R' above line and put a ' N ' through the tail the 'R' to make M

The write made the R tail very distinctly !! very black (Utilise the tail) into the P in what looks like R

Peed -- seems more likely though
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 16 09:51 BST (UK) »
Pvilliam  sounds very - posh yuppy: for Chelsea toffs

May catch on but school kids could end up calling him 'Pilly Peed' nik name today ;D

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
Lancashire OPC has it transcribed as William Reed

Marriage: 27 Aug 1723 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
William Reed - Aughton parish
Ellen Woods - this parish
    Notes: R.C.
    Register: Marriages 1699 - 1743, Page 10, Entry 71
    Source: LDS Film 1849663

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 16 10:06 BST (UK) »

The write made the R tail very distinctly !! very black (Utilise the tail) into the P in what looks like R

Peed -- seems more likely though

Certainly wasn't short of ink