Author Topic: Elizabeth Mabley/Mably date of death query  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Mabley/Mably date of death query
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
The occupation is given for John with Ann and 7 children on original page of the 1841 census.   He was an Ag. Lab. (Agricultural Labourer).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 March 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette7 - I don't know how I missed that.

Just to add for anyone else researching Mableys - I found out about an on-line Mabley family tree through Rootschat but was unable to access it.  I have just found this link though - and am including it here in case someone else is having the same problems I did! 

http://studylib.net/doc/7386987/maberley-family-tree---maberly-family-home-page

Woodmancote:  Hobbs; Davison
Bisley:  Fisher
Eastcombe:  Winstone
Chalford:  Lambert
Newent:  Bowkett
Llangurig: Owen; Jones
Llangurig & Bedlinog: Rees
Llanonn: Williams
Charfield:  Fowler; Selman
Olveston:  Fisher
Batheaston: Fisher
Andover, Hurstbourne, Woodcutt, Shinfield: Farmer & Tanner
Alresford: Sprangle; Hack
Martletwy & Llangwig:  Davies

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 April 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to find the death/burial of Elizabeth Mably and would be interested in ideas that might help.

So...  Elizabeth Davey was born to Wesleyan Methodist parents, John Davey and Ann Bunkum and baptised in St Neot in 1828.

Elizabeth married Thomas Mably from St Endellion.  Their son, William Henry Mably, was born at Sunwell Farmhouse, Antony in 1859 where her father worked.

Thomas Mably is listed as a widower in the 1861 census.

The St Johns parish records show that a Elizabeth Maibrey died at Sunwell aged 23 yrs in January 1861.  I was told that the Cornwall M I stated that she was aged 32 yrs not 23 yrs but that it is not correct.  A very kind person has sent me a photo of the headstone and it clearly says 23 yrs - and Maibrey, not Mably. 

But the headstone states that Elizabeth Maibrey's brother, George Davey is buried with her.  He died in 1871 aged 23 yrs.

Elizabeth Mably also had a brother George Davey who was born in 1848, in St Neot.  I know it's a 20 yr gap between siblings.   Her mother Ann was 41 at the time of his birth.

I can't find a baptism for George Davey with John Davey as father.  The other children in the family were baptised.

I can't find a baptism of a George Davey and an Elizabeth Davey to the same parent/s but know Elizabeth Davey/Mably had a brother George from the 1851 census.

Presumably Elizabeth Maibrey (b. abt 1837) started life as Elizabeth Davey but I am unable to find record of a marriage of her to a Mr Maibrey.   

I am also curious that in St Johns in 1851, John Davey (Hind) 44 yrs, wife Ann 44yrs and son John 19yrs seem to be in one household.  In another are their children Mary 12yrs, Richard 9 yrs, Joseph 7 yrs, George 3 yrs on their own. 

Any comments would be very gratefully received.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 April 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
according to the 1851 census, George was born in Liskeard as were brothers Richard & Joseph so this baptism 20 Feb 1848

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms_nc&id=63697

birth reg George Davey march qtr 1848 Liskeard vol 9 pg 177 mother's maiden name Bunkum

Joseph's baptism in the same place

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms_nc&id=107697

and Richard's
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms_nc&id=107609

George was buried 28 May 1871 aged 23, seaman of HMS Cambridge.

The family are all in one household if you look at the census return, they just happen to be at the bottom of one page & the top of the next.

I thought you already had the marriage for Elizabeth Davey & Thomas Mabley 18 July 1858 in Stoke Damerel. In linguistic terms, r & l are both liquids, so Mabley/Maibrey is not much of a difference.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 April 18 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Osprey for the link to George Davey's baptism.   I thought it would be strange if they did not have him baptised too. 

I reckon he's the George Davey in Ontario aged 12 in the 1861 census.  Then in Stoke Damerel in 1871.

The headstone at St Johns makes it clear that the Elizabeth buried there had a brother called George Davey. In the process of trying to work out whether these could or could not be my relatives, I have been looking for an Elizabeth Davey who married a Mr Maibrey, so as to rule them out if necessary. 

But I have found no such marriage.  The surname Maibrey is not at all common.  So could this grave be Elizabeth Mably', I wonder.

Thomas Mably could not write his name when they married (though Elizabeth Davey signed) so there could have been an error in how the death was recorded by the parish clerk.  And the GRO.  Just one thing... our family has always pronounced Mably with a short "a" rather than a long "a" which would be how I would pronounce Maibrey.

And I am surprised that the headstone spelling is wrong.  And her age is clearly written as 23 yrs.  Elizabeth Mably would have been 32 yrs in January 1861.  She was born on 4 August 1828.

And given that John and Ann Davey were Wesleyan Methodists, is it likely that their children would be buried at the Parish Church?

So many questions, as ever!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 April 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
non-conformist churches didn't always have burial grounds so burials could be in the parish churchyard.

https://darlingtonhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/general-information/the-historic-development-of-cemeteries-in-england/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 April 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Osprey.  I didn't know that.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 April 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Do you have the 1861 Death Cert?

Who registered the Death may be enlightening.

GRO Index has her as age 32

MAIBREY, ELIZABETH, age 32
GRO Reference: 1861  M Quarter in ST GERMANS  Volume 05C  Page 26

FreeREG has 23 as you stated Headstone has.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)