Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 156394 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« on: Monday 03 October 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Some of George Hood's grandchildren (by James Hood, George Hood's son) carried surnames in their middle names, named after earlier generations.

One carried COOK (Elizabeth Cook Hood), being named after ?
One carried WILKINSON (John Wilkinson Hood) linked to James wife Sarah - Sarah's side.
One carried RUSSELL (William Russell Hood), being the maiden surname of George Hood's wife, Sarah (Sarah Russell).
One carried ALFRED (James Alfred Hood) Alfred, either a surname or forename.
One carried ARUNDEL (George Arundel Hood), being James Hood's wife Sarah Hood (nee Arundel)
One carried PEARSON (Bernard Pearson Hood)

Having been totally misled by the Selby BT Marriage copy and my original photocopy from film (posted from Selby Library) which was reproduced fairly light, I have now managed to get a better image of the original 1815 Selby Marriage entry, which I attach.

James Cookin W

My wife who worked as a Clerk in a Solicitors and then spent all her working life in various admin rolls, feels the signature could say ...

James Cook in W meaning ...

James Cook in Witness

Apparently, prefixing or following your signature by the words in Witness was used on documents.

Sarah's Signature
It seems that Sarah has started her signature and been advised to sign further to the right and has started again.

Now, I'm wondering if the mystery Cook, was James Cook and a relation? 

Thank you.
Regards Mark

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James COOK in W
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
I think it says James Cookin. Then the next squiggle is a crossed out S where Sarah started to sign her name rather off the line, then crossed it out and started again a bit higher up.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 October 16 17:47 BST (UK) »

Sarah's Signature
It seems that Sarah has started her signature and realising the S is over the W, has started again.

Surely Sarah would have signed her name before it was witnessed  ???  It is more likely that the squiggle is crossing out the S

I also think that the name is Cookin  and not two words Cook in

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 October 16 18:14 BST (UK) »

Sarah's Signature
It seems that Sarah has started her signature and realising the S is over the W, has started again.

Surely Sarah would have signed her name before it was witnessed  ???  It is more likely that the squiggle is crossing out the S

I also think that the name is Cookin  and not two words Cook in

Hi
I have added a bit to my original post, how the children of George Hood's son James Hood, carried surnames from an earlier generation.

Re Sarah Russel's signature, it does seem she started and perhaps been advised to start further over to the right.

Signatures can have a habit of joining and perhaps 'in' has got lazily joined up to Cook.

According to the middle names of James Hood's children, there is a strong suggestion, to be looking for a Cook surname and a Pearson surname somewhere (I have added a bit to my first post)?

Regards Mark

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 October 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
Have you checked other marriages around the same time in that parish to see if he witnesses any others.  Witnesses are not necessarily related

It could be Cockin as well.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 October 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
I think you may be rather clutching at a straw trying to find a Cook connection!

The name used as middle name may refer back to someone many generations further back, on any one of the lines going back. Or is may be after a family friend, perhaps someone who acted as Godparent. Or it may just be more random - was he born in Captain Cook era for example!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 October 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have to agree that the name looks to be "Cookin", but could also be "Cockin"

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 October 16 20:35 BST (UK) »

From an earlier post on one of the other threads a William COOK married an Elizabeth HOOD in 1804 Christchurch, Tynemouth.

From baptisms of this couple it does say mother/bride was from the parish of Newcastle All Saints, where in 1780 there is a baptism of Elizabeth HOOD daughter of  a John HOOD mariner in 1780.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 16 23:10 BST (UK) »
As this is presumably a print from a microfilm, is there any possibility you could get a colour reproduction of the original?  Might make things a bit clearer.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.