Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158564 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #1008 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

Can anyone else have a go at finding a Birth or Baptism record please (for the burial of this Military man)?

29th September 1800, Hull, H.Trinity
Burials
Rob't S of Bainbridge Hood in ye E. Yk Mil'a or Mil'y [Militia or Military?] (from actual image, see ditto).

Particulary interested in Bainbridge Hood and Hoods of Beverley because:-
a) Bainbridge Hood married a Pearson (a surname on the radar) and
b) my Grandmother spoke of the place of Beverley and Snaith and as a boy, I thought that's a girl's name and Snaith something associated with sneezing.

Thanks Mark

Can't see a marriage yet for Joseph and Jane. But John Pearson Cook was born in Pocklington in 1767 along with two brothers Joseph 1765 and George 1770, maybe more siblings somewhere else. Joseph Cook senior possibly born in Pocklington too there is a birth in 1737 - son of William and Sarah.

Wonder if they are related to this guy

http://pocklingtonhistory.com/news/index.php#news139

Well, the only marriage I can find is in Leicester in 1755 by licence - Joseph Cook & Jane Pearson. He was a soldier, both 21 on the licence, so probably older.

The only Pearsons in Leicestershire (if indeed this is where Jane was born) were Quakers. But I just feel possibly this birth is too early - 1722 given Joseph is likely the 1737 birth , there is no age on their burial records either ( Joseph 1802, Jane 1804)
Found a service record for his militia service dated 1798 ~ born Pocklington, he was a tailor by trade. Rank of Sergeant when service ended due too illhealth

Served 3 years in the Beverley Volunteer Company as sergeant.
Served 34 years in the East Yorks. Militia, 20 years a sergeant
Served 1 year in the 30th Reg. of Foot.

Regarding Elizabeth Pearson and Bainbridge Hood. There is a transcript of the marriage & licence online.

Bainbridge Hood, wheelwright of this parish ( St Mary) and Elizabeth Pearson of the parish of St Martins were married by Licence 15 December 1768, both signed. Witnesses: Robert Banks and William Hawley.

Bainbridge Hood aged 22
Elizabeth Pearson aged 24      both resident in Beverley, licence dated: 14 Dec 1768, intended marriage place: Beverley St Mary.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

His father had been transcribed as Benjamin although the actual PR you can see that ‘Bainbridge’ had been written above Benjamin.

Robert son of Bainbridge Hood wheelwright baptised 14 March 1773 Beverley

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

His father had been transcribed as Benjamin although the actual PR you can see that ‘Bainbridge’ had been written above Benjamin.

Robert son of Bainbridge Hood wheelwright baptised 14 March 1773 Beverley

Claire

Hello

Thank you Claire.

I have a Yorkshire HOOD print out dated 1992 (containing about 1980 events) of Marriages involving a Hood and some Baptisms, but No burials.

Father of Robert was incorrectly recorded as Benjamin Hood 12 March 1773 at Beverley St Mary and St Nicholas, so Father's name Benjamin Hood was an error.

I am going to post a summary of a property acquisition by Bainbridge Hood involving a Francis Wilkinson of Beverley, Gent and others ... here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=769127.msg6317043#msg6317043

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

Now this is interesting.....  both 1891 and 1901 Census living at 291 Camberwell Road

George Grove  b 1852  Selby  Head    Dairyman/Shopkeeper
Anna Mary  Grove b 1852   Selby  Wife

Hello

Interesting Anna Mary Curtis (born Hannah Mary Hood of Selby) and Mr Curtis who were on the run from the Police at Moor Street, Birmingham in 1880, should use the surname Grove, in London?

In 1781 on page 54 of the 'London Directory' section of:-
Bailey's Northern Directory, or, Merchant's and Tradesman's Useful Companion, For The Year 1781.

In 1781 there was a company called Grove and Hood, Merchts. 4 Crosby Square, Bishopsgate Street

I'm left wondering if Hood of Grove and Hood, Merchants, in 1781 might be related to George Hood of Selby, or just a coincidence that John Conway Curtis and Anna Mary Curtis (nee Hannah Mary Hood of Selby), should assume the surname Grove, out of the blue about 100 years later?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763680.msg6616716#msg6616716

London Gazette 1835 (with reference to William Hood and Sarah Grove in 1816)
William Hood ... Sarah Grove ... Widow ... Merchants and Bankers (lately carrying on trade in Crosby-Square aforesaid, under the firm, of John Hood and Company ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1A1KAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA302&lpg=PA302&dq=1835+%22William+Hood%22+%22Sarah+Grove%22&source=bl&ots=Ga39-e0ZIs&sig=cCZwhTkV7__Eawmn50u_U0pGGz0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit1ZCNgdLeAhVMD8AKHWh2BfoQ6AEwAHoECAQQAQ

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
There is a file!

B 3/5510
In the matter of William Hood and Sarah Grove of Crosby Square, London, bankers, bankrupts. Date of commission of bankruptcy:
20th June 1816

Former reference H34/294

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C481644

John Hood and Leslie Grove
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YqCQJnXc2pwC&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=%22William+Hood%22+%22Sarah+Grove%22&source=bl&ots=namxOqblIf&sig=2mtUlVKGCB4KRjJjsMebtq5xeR4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiFrrLMidLeAhXKJMAKHfoTCI8Q6AEwAHoECAYQAQ

1806 The European Magazine, and London Review, Volume 49
Monthly Obituary (May?)
24. At Newington, Mr. John Hood, of Crosby square.

1806 Another says:-
Deaths in and near London
At his house at Newington Green, John Hood, esq. principal of the old respectable house in Crosby Square ; his integrity, goodness of heart, and urbanity of manners, endeared him to all who knew him.

About time some of these old Hood obits found, cut out the nice words and said who was kin, who any children were and where.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Claire has kindly posted a reply here regarding John Hood of Newington Green and Crosby Square (dying 1806), linked to Grove and Hood, Merchants (1781 Directory):-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763680.msg6616896#msg6616896

Widow - Elizabeth Hood
Brother - William Hood

John Holton of Colebrook, Salop doesn't ring any bells with my Hood family.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »

Ordered two Death Certs, to see Relationship/Present at Death:-
Richard Hood born about 1774, Death Registered Sculcoates (aged 64).
William Hood born about 1773, Death Registered Scarborough (aged 66).

Regarding the William Hood born Scarborough - there was one baptised to a John and Elizabeth Hood but think if I remember was a bit earlier than that - the baptism may be on FS, and there were two couples in Scarborough by those names.
 This William was a mariner and married c1799 Scarborough.

Going back to this Leonard who married a Mary. He was born c1761 to another Leonard. There is a burial in Osmotherly c1803 for a Leonard Hood born c1729. A quick look for any birth led me to two in 1726 and 1727 in Bowden, Roxburgh, Scotland. Lennard HUD son of James and Margaret 1727, and Lennard son of Alexander and Margaret in 1726. I can't see a likely birth in Yorkshire or environs c1729 that would fit.

Claire

Hi Claire

Thank you very much.

Are you saying that the Richard Hood aged 64 (born about 1774), dying at Sculcoates 1838 is probably the Son of Leonard Hood of Osmotherley?

Think this is along similar lines to what dobfarm was trying to say here ...

Richard Hood son of son of Leonard & Mary  bapt 6 March 1774 Osmotherley (Richard Hood mariner Hull death 1838 circa b 1771 place unknown ? )
Thomas Hood son of Leonard (birth unknown) bapt 6 Nov 1756  ? (Married 1771 Osmotherley ?)
Leonard Hood X Mary ??- ?? marriage unknown
James Hood son of Thomas Osmotherley 1771 Osmotherley
Leonard Hood son of Leonard  bapt 17 March 1761 Osmotherley
--------
Leonard Hood X Barbara Mather married 15 Nov 1749 St Nicholas reg and Nonconf  Newcastle Upon tyne

Thank you dobfarm

EDIT According to a new post here, the 1838 Richard Hood burial at Sutton was late of Jenning Street, Groves
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756357.msg6166315#msg6166315

We'll know soon what the Richard Hood, Sculcoates Death Certificate says about his occupation.

Hello

Regarding the late Richard Hood dying Jennings St., in the Parish of Sutton 27th December 1838, aged 64 (Labourer at Death, formerly a Seaman / Mariner) and Elizabeth Hood his Widow in the Census at Jennings Street.

Images viewed, for Children to the couple (married 1817) give Richard Hood's occupation as Mariner / Sailor.
1817 Richard Hood, bapt. H.T. Hull, Abode Myton / Poss. buried Sutton 4 May 1837, Richard Hood 19 of Groves.
1819 William Hood, bapt. H.T. Hull, Abode Hull.
1822 Mary Elizabeth, bapt. Hull, Abode Myton.
1827 Susanna Hood, bapt. H.T. Hull, Abode Myton.
1831 Sarah Ann Hood, bapt. Drypool, Abode Sutton.

When Sarah Ann Hood married Henry Laverty in 1849 her Father (as previously discussed) was Richard Hood, Seaman, Wits: Anne Taylor and John Wilson Robinson.

I can't find a Richard Hood's Seaman's Registration in 1835 for him on FindMyPast. I suppose other site/s are the same?

I thought I had a Richard Hood with no Birth date, born Youghal, but looking up BT 114/11 (reference from image) these Merchant Seaman were alive between 1845 to 1854 and he died in 1838.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: Friday 30 November 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
In the Quote we had been referring to the parentage of Jane Cockin, Birth 16th September 1837, her Father Wm Cockin of Cowick [near Snaith] and her Mother was nee Ann Robinson.

She could be the one baptised in Snaith daughter of William and Anne Cockin on 15 October 1837. Abode: Cowick

And this marriage 12 June 1830 after Banns at Hatfield.

William COCKIN of Snaith married Ann ROBINSON

He signed she left her mark
Witnesses: John ? ? ? and
William COOKE.

I think it says John Hopworth or Hepworth

Good Morning

I've been looking again at Emma Hirst (nee Tindall) baptised 1854 at Ledsham, Yorkshire, Dau of George & Jane Tindall.

In 1891 Emma Hirst, married, born Ledsham (aged 57 but should read 37 yrs, in 1891) was a "Visitor" in the 1891 Census household of Charles Hood, born Selby.

In 1844 George Tindall of Ledsham, Farmer, (Father - Edward Tindall, Farmer) married Jane Horsfield (Spinster) then of Kippax (Father Thomas Horsfield, Labour) at Ledsham.

Got back to an 1813 Baptism of:-
Jane Horsefield (alias Horsfield) Daughter of Thomas Horsefield (Labourer) and Mary Robinson of Heck, at Snaith.

Currently, I can't find a Marriage for the above?

Interesting that this road backward leads to ROBINSON of Heck/SNAITH. Like COCKIN in quote to ROBINSON of Cowick / Snaith.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: Friday 30 November 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thomas Horsfield and Mary Robinson both of the parish of Badsworth married there after Banns 4 December 1798

Both left their mark in the register
Witnesses : Jonathan Thorp & Jonathan Thorp ( both signed)

Record on Ancestry
Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk