Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158688 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #1017 on: Friday 30 November 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

Thank you, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: Monday 17 December 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939F-RF99-PK?mode=g&i=275&cc=1823613

Hello All

... William Son of William Hood and a late Maria Proctor Sp'r at Hedenham in 1800.

Hello

An update on this 1800 baptism of William Flood, at Hedenham.

This can definitely be ruled out now, I have an image of their 1796 Marriage. It is William Flood, not William Hood. In the 1800 Baptism the gap between the F & L is tiny, but on the marriage definitely separate letters.

William Flood married Maria Proctor at Hedenham, Norfolk 1796.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: Friday 21 December 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello

1871 My ancestor Cecilia Westley, born Brentford, was a Domestic at the Bull Hotel, Humberstone Gate, Leicester (who married George Hood, born Selby 1847).

1871, the Bull Hotel, Humberstone Gate, Leicester, Proprietor was Henry Abraham Thomson (born Jarrow) and his Wife, Mary Thomson, was nee Mary Robinson, born Carlton Snaith, Yorkshire.

1858, Henry Abraham Thomson, Hotel Keeper of Leicester and James Cooke, Auctioneer, are mentioned in an Assignment from Richard Lowe.

1851 the couple were at 12 The Park, Lincoln and he was a Spirit Merchant Clerk and Mary Thomson aged 25 was born Carlton, Yorkshire.

1850 Henry Abraham Thomson married Mary Robinson in the District of Selby (from Free BMD image not seen)

Tracing Mary Robinson back, Mary Thomson was the Daughter of John Robinson, Farmer & Ann Eddel, and Mary was baptised at Carlton 1st January 1826.

The Marriage of John Robinson of Snaith and Chapelry of Carlton, Bachelor and Ann Eddell, Spinster, by Licence, was on 1st March 1821, in the presence of Witnesses:- Wm Storr; Hannah COOKE and Hannah Eddell.

--------

Do you recall the 1830 William COCKIN of Snaith = Ann Robinson Marriage (at Hatfield)?

John Hepworth and William COOKE were the 1830 witnesses.

Sorry to veer off topic, but here is a marriage that seems to have it all ::)

Yes Claire, the 1814 William Cooke & Elizabeth Hood, Widow, Marriage, Scremby, Lincolnshire, does seem to have it all?

William Cook, Elizabeth Hood, witnesses Thomas Robinson and Lucy Chester.

Looking at this again, as I recall saying to a Robinson boy at School, I'm related to you.

The places of Beverley and Snaith were both mentioned too by my late Grandmother Hood.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: Saturday 22 December 18 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Regarding the 1814 William Cooke & Elizabeth Hood, Widow, Marriage, Scremby, Lincolnshire.

I can't trace anything on Elizabeth Hood, Widow, as yet, so attempting to work the couple forward and two possible baptisms are:-

15th February 1818 Elizabeth Daughter of William & Elizabeth Cooke; Abode Scremby; Labourer.
31st December 1820 William Son of William & Elizabeth Cooke; Abode Scremby; Soldier.
Note underneath says:- The above sent in May 23rd 1821 to the register.

By 1820 William Cooke was a Soldier.

Mark

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: Monday 28 January 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Mark,

When you say your George Hood was buried by the Quakers but "not in membership" are you certain he wasn't baptised a Quaker and that's why you can't find him.

I have come across several instances of people baptised as Quakers, marrying a non-Quaker, baptising children as Quakers with a note saying "not in unity" then being buried by Quakers "not in membership".  Marrying a non-Quaker may also be a reason for him not being accepted in 1836.  Just a thought as I've been following your very interesting thread.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: Thursday 31 January 19 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Mark,

When you say your George Hood was buried by the Quakers but "not in membership" are you certain he wasn't baptised a Quaker and that's why you can't find him.

I have come across several instances of people baptised as Quakers, marrying a non-Quaker, baptising children as Quakers with a note saying "not in unity" then being buried by Quakers "not in membership".  Marrying a non-Quaker may also be a reason for him not being accepted in 1836.  Just a thought as I've been following your very interesting thread.

Hello Snowqueen

"following" thread etc  ;D  ;D after all this time!

Quakers were not Baptised, but a record was made of a Quaker Birth.

----------

I believe my George Hood of Selby never had Quaker Birthright, hence the "application from George Hood of Selby to be received into Membership" of the Quakers in 1836. No reference to the "application" being a reapplication, nor past membership.

I have contacted the Quakers for further clarification about Birthright and Membership.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: Friday 22 February 19 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Snowqueen, it would seem that if George Hood was born to Parents who married as Quakers, Hood's 1836 Quaker Membership application would not be an application for Membership, but rather a reinstatement request.

The reply is a lot more complex for me, but it seems a minority who had left and wanted to come back were apparently dealt with on a case by case basis.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: Friday 22 February 19 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone :)

Marriage of James COCKING in Hatfield November 1813 to Ann Wilburn

Claire

Witnesses to the above Marriage:- Edward Shepard and Sam'l Wilburny [added, probably Wilburn]

Hull H.Trinity 24th October 1809 William Cockin of this Parish Mariner & Maria Emerson of the same Spinster married by Licence.
Both left their marks
Witnesses:- Thos Wilson and the mark of Ann Brunyee

Found two James Cockin born Stanforth [Stainforth?] (Hatfield) in the Merchant Seamen Indexes, which began 1835, no details about them in the other accompanying indexes, so they must pre-date 1835?

Stainforth Parish was created out of Hatfield, Yorkshire.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/0c56b4b4-1f34-4780-96e0-b625716b5138

Also John Cockin, Mariner, born Stainforth about 1792 was sailing the 'Sarah & Mary' in 1835 (BT 112/14 p.1061/95) and below too.

William Cockin, Mariner of Thorne born about 1795 (BT 112/14 p.930 on the Canton, etc.)

We'll make some more enquiries, because James Cockin, witness on the 1815 Hood & Russell, marriage might be a Mariner.

Mark

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: Sunday 24 February 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I've been fascinated by this thread for quite a while. The effort you've put into this line of your family, and come up with so much, but not that VITAL part that'll take you further back. It's quite heartbreaking sometimes, but your determination is still coming through.

I've not read the whole thread (but I've read a few dozen pages of it) but I had a quick look tonight from an 'outsider's' view to see if there's anything I could uncover. Something I don't recall reading about before is a George Hood enlisting for the Napoleonic Wars in 1800. He is listed as from Knaresborough which is less than 30 miles away from Selby which is where George was known to be from.

Here's the details I could find on FindMyPast:

First name(s)   George
Last name   Hood
Enlisted year   1800
Enlisted day   3
Enlisted month   Aug
Where enlisted   Manchester
Place   Knearsborough
County   Yorkshire
Remarks   Another Attestation R193(33)
Reference   R191
Page   339
Dataset title   Napoleonic War Records 1775 - 1817
Category   Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory   Regimental & Service Records
Collections from   Great Britain, England

I hope this doesn't give you false hope, but I hope it may be of some relevance to you.