Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158869 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #1062 on: Thursday 29 October 20 17:48 GMT (UK) »
i also remember seeing a george Hood in i think malton monthly quaker records while seaching for clemit , dale and sedgefield, The record noted that he should not be admiited to the Friends ,assume because of his profffession ,though can now only find his buriel not the rejection

See also my reponse yesterday and Snow Queen reply today.

Were you searching the Malton Monthly Quaker records on Ancestry or F M P please or elsewhere? (Some l/h pages are missing on f m p searched so far).

Thank you for the above, interesting you should say Malton Monthly Quaker Meeting, because one possible parent or link to my mystery George Hood of Selby is John Hood of Selby, Mariner, born Scarborough and Family Search says for Malton Marriages:-
Malton Monthly Meeting was united with Scarborough Monthly Meeting and named Pickering Monthly Meeting in 1789.

Also when my "George Hood of Selby" was refused Membership by the Quakers at York in 1836 (York Quaker Minutes, held at Leeds Brotherton Library, Special Collections) no mention was made in the Selby Quaker Minutes of George Hood's refusal in 1836 (and I thought no mention in the Selby Quaker Minutes was odd).

The remainder is a reminder for easy quick links for me.

Also a James Hood of Scarborough was buried at Old Malton in 1781. Snippet at Reply #92 ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758603.msg6157010#msg6157010

Will Proved shortly after James Hood's death in 1782 transcribed here (top of the page) ref to Sister Jane Wardale, [Abraham Wardle, marriage, alias Abraham Wardell or Wardele (signatures) on marriage] ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=781212.msg6365648#msg6365648

The Firstborn Son of George Hood of Selby, William Hood a Tree relative of mine married Jane Casson in 1851 at Scarborough Register Office and the two witnesses were Goodwill and Wood who can be linked to a couple of possibles, including the Goodwill surname link to Stamper. Stamper and Wood surnames also link to a Hood in the Malton area.
Snippet of their actual 1851 Signatures at Reply #5, here ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802640.msg6913163#msg6913163

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: Friday 30 October 20 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Geoff

At Reply #1060 (previous page) I noted a Christopher Hood, present (witness) at the 1801 Marriage linked to Ellerbeck and Benjamin Tyerman and might be worth checking to see if they link to the following Christopher Hood in the 1851 Census? ...

Another Christopher Hood here linked to Ellerbeck ...

1851 Census Brompton, Northallerton, North Yorkshire
Christopher Hood, Head, Marr, 44, Farmer of 80 Acres employing sometimes 1 man, born Yorkshire, Ellerbeck Parish of Osmotherley.
Elizabeth Hood, Wife, Marr, 49, born do. Brompton.
William Hutchinson, Lodger, U, 30, Hand Loom Weaver, born do. Brompton.
James R. Hutchinson, Nephew, U, 17, Hand Loom Weaver, born do. Moulton.
Eliz'th Smith, Niece, U, 15, House Servant, born do. Yafforth.
Thomas Sadler, Visitor, Mar., Hand Loom Weaver, born do. Northallerton.
John Smith, Visitor, U, 13, Agricultural Labourer Son, born do. Yafforth.

Moulton is a small village and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England.
 ----------
I wondered how you got to Malton, it might help me find this George Hood reference you saw?
 ----------
If your Hood is definitely found to be related to those in the 1851 Census (in this reply) then the following might also be of intetest? ...

Regarding Smith, John Hood, Esq., of Nettleham Hall, Lincolnshire and Lord of the Manor of West Firsby, Lincolnshire, [family linked to Kirkbridge, Yorkshire] had a Smith link.

Anne Smith was the Daughter of Ralph Rob, Esq., of Stirling and had Issue to Hood of Nettleham.

Caledonian Mercury, 30th May 1818
At Topcliffe, by the Rev. W. Allanson, on the 14th ulti-mo, John Hood, Esq. of Yafforth Lodge, to Miss Rob, eldest daughter of Ralph Rob, Esq. of Gristwaite, all in the County of York.

John Hood to Ann Smith Rob 1818, to see if they link up to Hood of Ellerbeck?
Reply #3.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736364.0

Charles Ralph was from Toghe, Togher, County Mayo (see Burke 1862) ...
Charles Ralph Hood mentioned here ... and Nettleham
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=570
 ----------
Skipwith Hall link to Hood of Nettleham
I also have an 1830 advert, To Let, Skipwith Hall, Yorkshire (regarding miles it says) Five from Selby. Apply to Mr Hood, Nettleham Hall, near Lincoln. Thorpe and Gray, Solicitors, York.

York Herald, 10th March 1838
JOHN HUTCHINSON, of Skipwith Hall, farmer, was brought up under a rule of Court for rehearing upon his schedule, under which he was discharged about three years ago.

I wonder if Hutchinson of Skipwith Hall might be related to Hutchinson in the 1851 Census in this reply, because Mr Hood was offering the Hall to Let in 1830.
 ----------
 ----------
Coincidences?
I have found when searching thoroughly for a long period, there are lots of surname matching and other coincidences that all need checking thoroughly in the actual Registers or Register images, documents, deeds, Wills etc., to see if they actually link or not.

The Hutchinson link in 1851 is also interesting too, Jonathan Hutchinson in my George Hood's Will (Proved 1846), but again it might be a coincidence.

I also have an 1826 Jacob Smith to Elizabeth Hood marriage at York, seemingly linked to Stamford Bridge, Yorkshire (because a Wells Hood and a Bower were present, interestingly a Rob't Smith and a Wm Wood, Mary Ann Hudson were also present), so one should not jump to conclusions until links are thoroughly made in documents.

So you can see we have discussed two lots of HOODs with Yorkshire links, apparently linked to a SMITH surname.

Just to throw fat on the fire so as to speak, one of my mystery George Hood of Selby, property Registrations, has Smith links too.

Initial investigation of the ancestral lineage (with Wills) of a Visitor in an 1891 household of a known related Charles Hood born Selby, shows green shoots of my George Hood of Selby being linked somehow to Hood of Stamford Bridge, Yorkshire, but having great problems matching Wm Wood's highly distinctive signature to any document elsewhere.

Of course, I haven't a clue if any of the above are directly related to my George Hood of Selby or not (except of course the Charles Hood, mentioned in 1891.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 00:34 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:68Z4-5STD

Though it a mistake somewhere, the Bt copy of George Hood 1815 marriage original at Borthwick needs a book at to see if the word Scarborough is on the BT marriage.

Even if the mistake is on the 1815 copy about Scarborough the place of the marriage 18 July 1815 -the fact it said Scarborough on a George Hood document in 1815 with him aged 28 written in 1815 /b]

Event Type   Marriage
Event Type Note   Baptisms, marriages & burials
Name   George Hood
Age   28
Residence Place   Selby
Birth Year (Estimated)   1787
Spouse's Name   Sarah Russell
Spouse's Age   21
Spouse's Residence Place   Selby
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated)   1794
Marriage Date   18 Jul 1815
Marriage Place   Saint Mary's with Holy Apostles, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Marriage Place (Original)   Selby, St Mary, Yorkshire (North Riding), England
Page   25
Source Publication Year Range   1793-1838
Affiliate Name   Borthwick Institute for Archives
George Hood's Spouses and Children
Sarah Russell
Spouse

Name   Sarah Russell
Age   21
Sex   U

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you dobfarm

When looking at the Family Search site, it would appear that someone has changed at least three actual Selby Yorkshire, England (Hood surname) events, to Scarborough, on some of the search returns to those Selby events.

The image numbers on Family Search are about two away (in each case) to those in the Bishop's Transcripts F M P online images and belong to the Selby Yorkshire Registers & B.T's.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 18:36 BST (UK) »
Family Search Digital Folder Number 007587778 image 00138 stated as Bishop's Transcripts for St Mary's Church, Selby, 1746 - 1860 is the B.T. Marriage at Selby (no reference to Scarborough / Scarbro'). The film leader digitised online says Yorkshire Selby Parish Register Trans 1746 to 1860.

The 007587778 mentions Microfilm numbers 0991089 being Bishop's transcripts for St. Mary's Church, Selby, 1746-1860
"Christenings, 1793-1838; Marriages, 1793-1837; Burials, 1793-1837." (From Family Search online)

and

Microfilm number 0991090 Bishop's transcripts for St. Mary's Church, Selby, 1746-1860
"Christenings, 1838-1860; Burials, 1838-1860." (from Family Search online)

Film 991088 covers the period 1746 to 1792 (Bapts, Marriages & Burials)
 ----------
The Anc... reference Film 1655799 is dated 19 May 1815.

This 1655799 according to Family Search (online) relates to Marriage Bonds from 1806 and is the Marriage Allegation & Bond dated 16th May 1815 (about two months before they married at Selby).

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
Family search mistake then, though! for Scarborough St Mary to be link to Selby Hood's (Apart from Maudline Hood of Selby) out there is some person linking the (Namely George who up to now has no link to nowhere pre 1812 or other Hood's except may be connected to Quakers pre 1812 ?) Hood's of Selby to Scarborough Hood's

But the end of the day - Scarborough Hood's seem most likely roots of George Hood of Selby and Scarborough  Sailor captain John Hood may have docked in Gateshead river port  and baptised his son George there. 1786 Bearing in mind most of Gearge's birth year are 1787 +/- 1  Year

Sod All on George Hood Selby pre 1812 and Sod All on George Hood baptised  Gateshead of a life after 1786

Thus someone out there linked to familysearch thinks the same.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: Sunday 30 January 22 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Dobfarm

Thanks. You may be interested in the short thread and my latest post here regarding one of the acquaintances of my Selby, Yorkshire, family ...

I have been researching some family acquaintances and some have interesting links to some familiar surnames at Scarborough and Malton, Yorkshire.

Thread:- J. Hudson, Cole Hill, Castle Hill, co. Durham - anyone identify address/person?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=824580.msg7270055#msg7270055

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 06:14 GMT (UK) »
I'd stick with George's trades.

Food for thought

Big question  is were did George acquirer a (Where did George's money or financial backing come from) financial position to buy the bankrupted cooper business in Wren street Selby.

Apprentice trained Cooper or Tanner or Brewer but in those days only one trade he could been apprenticed trained in under a master of that trade.  Thus it looks like George was a cooper apprentice trained under one master or had bought a cooper business of apprentice trained coopers staff working for the business and put his profession down as a cooper being the owner of a cooper/ barrel making business. Therefore followed the same route with his tanning and brewing businesses putting  him self down on official documents as Cooper, Tanner, Brewer (but not skilled) but not stating full occupation as a business owner of said business being Cooper business, Tanning business , Brewing business.

Therefore his skills was running a business or small company admin for his last 2 businesses Tanning and Brewing or an apprenticed trained skilled cooper with skill of turning a bankrupt businesses around in to a going concern  --- but unlikely

Offline PastLivesFound

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you Claire, for the 1799 information.

In 1799 Mary Stears of Selby, who has the same Father (Thos Stears of Bewholme) as Frances Stears (a witness on Maudland HOOD's Marriage), married JOHN PROCTER of Stockton.

Notice the links to SCARBOROUGH too, in the 1799 Marriage.
John PROCTER's Father Stephen PROCTER was late of Scarborough.

Mary STEARS 1799 marriage is witnessed by Thomas PROCTER of SELBY, [father of William PROCTER of SELBY, also a Flax Dresser] who we know had links with my GEORGE HOOD.

Kind regards Mark

William HOOD is also named as holding premises in Mill Gate, Selby (formerly Beilby Lee of Selby, a Soap Boiler & Bankrupt, late of Hull, then Manchester after Selby). The names & Census suggest corner with Broad Street, Selby (alias Wide St / Micklegate), belonging to Wm Procter of Selby (written 1846).

Late 18th Century Map extract.

As well as owning property in Wren Lane and Gowthorpe, George Hood at death / Executors also occupied property in Water Lane and Church Hill and owning part of Ousegate, Selby, mid 1840s.

Mark
Hi Mark

I came across your post while looking for pre-OS maps of Selby and see you have shared a portion of one from the late 18th. Please could you point me to the source so that I can have a look at the full version?

Also, by some sort of serendipity, in the same post you mention the Proctor family. This is a family I have come across in the papers of the York Retreat (Quaker Asylum). In case you're not already aware, John PROCTOR (1799-1854), the son of John PROCTOR (1766-1837) & Mary STEARS (1761-1843) was admitted to the York Retreat in 1826, shortly after marrying Jane SPENCE (1800-1870) in 1824. Of particular interest to family historians are the letters to The Retreat from patient's families. The Proctors were quite prolific in their correspondence, and John was resident at the Retreat for most of his life. More details can be found in the Borthwick Institute catalogue https://borthcat.york.ac.uk/index.php/ret-1-5 , and the images are available from Wellcome https://wellcomecollection.org/works/g522gcy8

(Apologies if my post doesn't appear as it should - it's my first!)

kind regards

Paul