Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 158892 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #909 on: Monday 27 November 17 20:13 GMT (UK) »
https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/8d942fd9-4c43-3d95-b482-1c3beb38152b

Thank you

We had already made a start with the first Manor of Selby Court Roll, 1815 to c.1842, discovering more about the Copyhold transfer of Byefield, Selby, to the Hoods.

Discovered that George Hood, Jun'r, was a Juror on the Manor of Selby Court 1850s.

The Archivist has found the preceding Court Roll, albeit with a slightly different title, we aim to go back.

It is reported by the newspaper that John Hood (my 3 x Great Grandfather) was one of those named who raised their glasses to toast Lord and Lady Londesborough, to show their appreciation to the Londesboroughs for their treatment of the Selby Tenantry.

Recently I found a very brief 1870 piece that the town of Selby were surprised to learn of the sudden death of William Hood.

The Quakers even read out Sarah Hood's passing (nee Russell) in early 1880 at a Quarterly Meeting in York (dated) and that they had buried Sarah Hood in 1879 at Selby, her age, Widow of George Hood. But Sarah Hood wasn't even a Quaker!

Quite amazing what has been found 1812 to 1894 about my Hoods at Selby.

Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: Monday 27 November 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Selby of old, was one of the few places where the majority could sign their own name. An indication of teaching by the Non-conformists, Quakers and as dobfarm points out the Parish and Charities (in the link).

There you are Goughy you bright sparks!  ;D

Bright sparks eh - shame I'm from t'other side o t'river - an East Riding country bumpkin   :)
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: Monday 27 November 17 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Selby of old, was one of the few places where the majority could sign their own name. An indication of teaching by the Non-conformists, Quakers and as dobfarm points out the Parish and Charities (in the link).

There you are Goughy you bright sparks!  ;D

Bright sparks eh - shame I'm from t'other side o t'river - an East Riding country bumpkin   :)

I'm sure George Hood's past will shine, can you see thy feet sticking out thee haystack  :o  ?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 13:15 GMT (UK) »

"Mrs Beatrix Bacon in 1690 devised land in the Parishes of Thorpe and Brayton, the income from which has formed the endowment for the Presbyterian Chapel in Millgate ever since that date. About that time they intermarried with another Selby family named Morritt. Bacon Morritt died in 1751, and his namesake and successor in 1775. The two families were, perhaps, the most influential in the town in their day. The Morritts became large landowners at Cawood and Ryther. Mr. Bacon Morritt was also the owner of the Manor of Bowthorpe, in the Parish of Hemingbrough, and devised £5,000 each to his five Daughters. The sisters lived at York, and were famous for their skill in needlework and their quaint dress and manners. For Anne Eliza, who was buried at Selby in 1797, the poet Mason wrote a poetical epitaph, in which he praises the skill of her pencil. Their nephew, the best-known representative of the family, was John Bacon Sawrey Morritt of Rokeby, the friend and correspondent of Sir Walter Scott, to whom his poem of 'Rokeby' is inscribed."

Beatrix Bacon was a Presbyterian.

Extract quote from Goughy

Burial

Henry Bacon of Selby
Surgeon and Apothecary son of John Bacon of Selby Tanner by Hannah his wife daugh of Mr Hood of Selby aforesaid Surgeon 17 September (1785) in Selby Church aged 60

14th March 1727
Probate of the Will of Roger Hood of Selby

In the name of God Amen I Roger Hood of Selby being weak of Body but of perfect understanding Do make this my last Will and Testament – in manner and form following (Viz.) … I give o’in manner following first I give to my Brother Nathaniel Hood, my Sister Eliz: Middleton & my sister Ann Todd my dwelling house and orchard & appurts thereunto belonging to be equally divided among o’in & Do hereby give and bequeath each of ye above mentioned p’ties an equal share in ye above mentioned house and orchard lyeing or being in Ouzegate I give also to Mr John Mush & Ann Barker liveing in Wren Lane five pounds in Trust for the only use & benefit of my Nephew German Camp to be given to him in such way & proportions as the abovementioned Mr Mush & Ann Barker shall see and think proper to give him I also give to my Nephew
German Camp the Bed and Appurts belonging to him standing in the Chamber I also give to my two Neeces Sarah and Mary Camp all the wearing apparrele linnen & wooling belonging to my Late wife Except the Cloak w’ch I give to my sister Middleton. Lastly I appoint my Brother Nathaniel Hood my Sister Middleton & my Sister Todd Exe’trs of this my Last Will & Testam’t. I give o’in all my goods & Chattells debts & Creditts my Legacys debts and funeral Expenses being first discharged In Witness whereof I set my hand & Seal this 14th March 1727/8 Roger Hood. Witness Geo: Hutchinson, Peter Leaper Ann Nutt.
[sic].

Roger Hood was buried Selby 18 March 1728.

------------

John Mush of Selby was Presbyterian.

Possibly Roger Hood of Selby had Presbyterian links too?

Hannah Hood the Daughter of Mr Hood, the Surgeon of Selby, married a Bacon.

The Hoods at Selby then seem to disappear mid 18th Century at Selby. But I'm wondering to myself, were some of the Hoods in Nonconformist Registers, now missing.

I have notes on the late 18th Century Bacon Wills / Admins.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: Thursday 30 November 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Deleted and altered

John Hood of Selby, Mariner

Charles Turner the Son, of John Hood's Landlord John Turner appears to be linked to Wesleyan Methodism at Selby.

The 1792 Will of Charles Turner is witnessed by Jno Clark and Jno Woodcock, two surnames that also appear together in George Hood's purchase of Gowthorpe Selby.

1789 Jno Turner in the Selby Land Tax Occupies a "Chapel" Lands off Cow Lane, Selby, Cofsley Closes or Cossley Closes, then in 1790 "Chapel" "Late Turner". Also John Hood's Proprietor at Selby has changed from L[ate] T[urner] to Jno Spencer in 1790.

Extracts of images ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6174156#msg6174156

John Turner is buried at Selby 1792, died of decay.
Charles Turner, Son of John Turner was buried shortly after.

Cow Lane, Selby, also looks to be called Flaxley Road ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748511.msg5961578#msg5961578

Found this on Rootsweb

I believe that Jonathan ROBINSON took over the farm from Thomas ROBINSON, who may have been his brother...
Although there's no listing for Jonathan on the IGI, I found some cached information on Jonathan of Pallathorpe, which is no longer on the Net. Jonathan and several others were involved in the Wesleyan movement later on:
Extract from 'Notices of Wesleyan Methodism in Selby 1744-1892' published 1892
The Millgate Chapel
In 1786 the infant Society had gathered strength enough to purchase a site for a Chapel when, for the consideration of £110, Charles TURNER and his wife transferred on 5th April 1786 a house in Millgate to Alexander MATHER, of the City of York, gentleman.
On the 9th October, in the same year, Alexander Mather transferred the property by deed to the following trustees:
Thomas DODGSON, miller; Thomas ROBINSON, common brewer; and Alban HOLMES, apothecary, all of Tadcaster.
Jonathan ROBINSON of Pallathorpe, Yorkshire; Richard WILKINSON of Oxton; Matthew SKILBECK of Healaugh; John CORNER of Acaster; Robert BIRDSALL and William ALLEN of Church Fenton; John DUNN of Barlby; and Christopher OBEE of Selby - all described as yeomen.'

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: Friday 01 December 17 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning

I am not saying that John Hood of Selby was related to John Turner or his Son Charles Turner of the 1780s (who both seem to have been buried at Selby 1792).

But that, John Hood of Selby, could have attended his Landlord's Chapel, in Cow Lane, Selby, in the 1780s, around the time of George Hood's Birth?

----------

Later in the 1800 Selby Land Tax (p.33), it was Jno Armstrong, at the same Chapel.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning

I am not saying that John Hood of Selby was related to John Turner or his Son Charles Turner of the 1780s (who both seem to have been buried at Selby 1792).

But that, John Hood of Selby, could have attended his Landlord's Chapel, in Cow Lane, Selby, in the 1780s, around the time of George Hood's Birth?

----------

Later in the 1800 Selby Land Tax (p.33), it was Jno Armstrong, at the same Chapel.

Mark

Good Morning

Re: 1789 Chapel - Jno Turner (also John Hood's Landlord) - both John Turner disappear in 1790 Selby Land Tax

Later on in the Selby Land Tax 1800 Jno Armstrong is at "Chapel" (folio 33) under Land Adjoining Cow Lane &c. (title on folio 22).

In 1809 the Chapel - J. Armstrong is under Lands in Brayton Liberty (folio 23) of the Selby Land Tax.

-----------

Seems the Chapel is in the Parish of Brayton and the reference to Cow Lane &c. is misleading.

Also been fortunate to find John Turner in the Hemp & Flax lists (1790 / 1791) even giving Cosey Close (Cofsley Close in Land Tax), suggesting the Chapel was in the Parish of Brayton, perhaps even at Hambleton?

------------

Wondering which denomination the 1789 "Chapel Jno Turner", belongs to?

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a Will of John Turner of Hambleton dated 1738, he is possibly John Turners father or grandfather. He bequeathes to his son George Turner and to his heirs forever 'one close of meadow or pasture ground lying in the Lordship of Hambleton aforesaid or known by the name of ( it looks like) Cansey Close'. - wonder if it's the same place ?

Looking back at the posts, Christopher Obee was one of the trustees named in a property transference. Christopher Obee & his family were Wesleyan Methodists. When Obee married, one of the witnesses was Benjamin Hemingway - isn't he also listed as being at that chapel ?

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
In the Will the meadow or close is 'copyhold'. In the same Will he leaves to his wife Dorathy one freehold close known as Cansey or Westhag Close. This was also left to his son George. If George should die then his grandson John Turner would receive the land.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk