Author Topic: My Rosskeen Munros  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Beauly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My Rosskeen Munros
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 07:18 BST (UK) »
I am researching Donald Munro & Catherine Dingwall who were married in Rosskeen in 1831 and they had seven children.

Isobel - b 1832 & married Robert Whyte
Christian/Christina - b 1835 & married Charles Ross
Alexander - b 1837
John - b 1839
Catherine - b 1841 & married Alexander Holmes
Donald - b 1844 & married Janet/Jessie Menzies
Mary - b abt 1847 & married Hector Ross

Catherine Dingwall died in 1866 in Rosskeen and her parents were Alexander Dingwall & Catherine McLennan. I cannot find any record of Donald's death, so I do not know who his parents were.

I would welcome hearing from anyone with a connection to any of the above.

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: My Rosskeen Munros
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 05 09:21 BST (UK) »
I am researching Donald Munro & Catherine Dingwall who were married in Rosskeen in 1831 and they had seven children.

Isobel - b 1832 & married Robert Whyte
Christian/Christina - b 1835 & married Charles Ross
Alexander - b 1837
John - b 1839
Catherine - b 1841 & married Alexander Holmes
Donald - b 1844 & married Janet/Jessie Menzies
Mary - b abt 1847 & married Hector Ross

Catherine Dingwall died in 1866 in Rosskeen and her parents were Alexander Dingwall & Catherine McLennan. I cannot find any record of Donald's death, so I do not know who his parents were.

I would welcome hearing from anyone with a connection to any of the above.

As you know the 1866 death register entry for Catherine shows her as "widow of Donald Munro", so that he predeceased her.

From Isobel's marriage register entry, it looks like he died some years earlier than 1866, and getting perilously close to not appearing in the 1855 onwards statutory records.

Have you had a look for MIs for Rosskeen?

An additional potential problem is Donald's occupation, - mason, - as they could be quite mobile, so that there's always the chance that he died when away from Rosskeen.

ibi

Offline Beauly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Rosskeen Munros
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 05 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply ibi,

Cannot find the monumental inscriptions for Rosskeen - the Highland FHS does not seem to have them so perhaps they are not available.

Donald is not in the 1861 Rosskeen census so it is likely that he was either dead by then or away from home so it is quite likely that he died before 1855 & so his death was not registered.

My only possible chance is that in the 1851 census, daughter Catherine aged 9 was not at home. There are two possibilities as the index shows two Catherines aged 9 & born in Rosskeen. One is in Rosskeen & the other in Kiltearn. If she was visiting her grandparents I might just have a link but I do not have access tio the 1851 census.

Don