Author Topic: Castle Green Inn Talgarth  (Read 6014 times)

robroy

Castle Green Inn Talgarth
« on: Monday 26 July 04 10:27 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather Charles Hogg is recorded in the 1881 census as the publican of the above Inn. I know he died at a young age also his wife Ellen Hartley leaving several orphans including my grandfather Harry William Hogg.
I have been unable to find further info. ie Deaths Marriage or Births. any help would be very welcome.

Bob.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Green Inn Talgarth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 August 04 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I am visiting Brecon Library on Monday,  where they have a good book on Talgarth history,  I will have a look and see what I can find.  I might even have time to dig out some census returns.

Watch this space.  ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 04 13:56 BST (UK) »
 Bob,

I think this is the family in 1881,  these details I am sure you have. 

Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
 Charles W. HOGG   Head   M   Male   23   Pimlico, Middlesex, England   Innkeeper & Horse Breaker     
 Ellen HOGG   Wife   M   Female   25   Sheffield, York, England       
 Edward C.J. HOGG   Son      Male   10 m   Talgarth, Brecknock, Wales       
 Harriet WILLIAMS   Serv   U   Female   16   Glasbury, Brecknock, Wales   General (Dom) Serv     

My Talgarth book has a list of traders from 1895 and he does not appear there.

I would suggest you take the 1881 data and request a lookup on the 1891 census in the lookup board :

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=48.0

Good Luck,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

robroy

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 05 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kazza,
Many thanksfor your help, I am not up to speed with the internet and have just stumbler across your E-Mail.  The family were orphaned about 1888 my great grandfather Charles Hogg was the Inn Keeper and horse breaker.  I understand he was kicked in the head, became an alcoholic and died shortly afterwards.  During my summer visit the very helpfull registrar at Hay on Wye could find no trace of his or his wife's death.  As they both died at an early age and I think suddenly it is possable something more sinister happened.   
Thanks again
Bob.

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 January 05 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Just had a quick search on FreeBMD and there is a death registered for a Charles William Hogg - age 25 in the June quarter of 1883 (Vol: 5b. Pg: 187). Problem is it's in Plymouth!?!

Do you have any connections with that part of the world? If not have you considered that Charles may have been "sent away" to a hospital/home and maybe died there??

Can't find any likely looking deaths registered for Ellen either - did she definitley die young or did she re-marry perhaps?
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline efreedom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 16:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry so late joining this thread - does anyone know whether the Inn was actually nine "houses / separate rooms" etc.?  My relative John Stephens lived there in 1881.
Hughes (Pembrokeshire, Glamorgan, Lancashire)
Stephens (Talgarth, Germany(?))

Online Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 July 21 21:00 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1881 census, it seems that there were separate dwellings shown after the entry for what is shown as "Castle Green" Inn.  I'm not sure which building currently was the inn referred to.  The Green is a road which leads from Talgarth to Bronllys Castle, hence the 'Castle Green' name.  There are currently two pubs along that road, one called The Castle (a possibility).  The next one towards Bronllys is The New Inn which appears on page 3 of the census.  The problem with that area is that the layout has changed considerably since the 1880s with quite a bit of modern (ie 20th century) development, but there are some original houses which still remain.  The National Library of Wales has tithe maps of the area which can be useful for identifying properties and owners, but I think their latest online tithe map is about 1842.  As a matter of interest for you, there are still families with the name of Stephens living in Talgarth.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline efreedom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 21 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info and taking the time to reply
Hughes (Pembrokeshire, Glamorgan, Lancashire)
Stephens (Talgarth, Germany(?))

Online Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 August 21 21:17 BST (UK) »
Pity that neither of us realised we'd been in contact on here when you came into Talgarth Mill today!  I'll check through our records and let you know what I find; looking forward to receiving details of your Stephens family.  I'll email you tomorrow.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk