Author Topic: Italy 1943-44 Lucca/Garfagnana Info on escaped british POW Hugh Dorrien  (Read 880 times)

Offline italy1944

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Italy 1943-44 Lucca/Garfagnana Info on escaped british POW Hugh Dorrien
« on: Saturday 08 October 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on or contacts to the family of Lt Huh J. Dorrien ( or Dorrian) of the Durham Light Infantry, who was a POW in Camp 49, fontanellato, in Parma province in 1943 and escaped with my father, Frank Adams (3rd Royal Tank regt) on 9th Sept 1943.
They spent a long period in villages ( for example Magliano and Ponteccio)  around Monte Tondo ( La Garfagnana, Lucca province) and were guided across the lines by a partisan in August or early sept 1944.

Hugh Dorrien 's Army No. was 198253. His battalion of the Durham Light Infantry was converted to tanks in 1942.

My father died in 1969. It is possible that Hugh Dorrien died earlier than that.

Thanks

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Italy 1943-44 Lucca/Garfagnana Info on escaped british POW Hugh Dorrien
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
The Gazette records the commission of Hugh James Dorrian in 1941

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35236/supplement/4506/data.pdf

His death is registered in Bexley, Kent in 1988.

He was born in South Shields, County Durham in 1912

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline italy1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 October 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Shaun J
thank you very much for your help.

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Captured 1st/2nd  March 1943 whilst with 16th DLI at Sedjenane  escaped 1943 announced 1944-45. Serving with `B` Company at the time as a platoon commander. Married in September 1945 to Veronica Katherine Wright daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Wright, 56. Hanington-St. Handbridge. Hugh James Dorrian was the son of Mr Mrs J Dorrian who lived at the time at 43. Imeary Street. South Shields

Best Wishes

Jim

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
Italy1944, are you looking for living descendants of Hugh Dorrian?

If so, I don't know if these are relevant, but there are two births on Freebmd with surname Dorrian and mmn Wright.

A male born in 1946 in Chester district and a female born in 1950 in Huddersfield district. The Chester district seems to fit with Hugh's marriage in 1945 and his wife's parents living in Handbridge.

As we are not allowed to mention names of those living or possibly living, I have not mentioned any names, but they can easily be found on freebmd:
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I had a quick look but couldn't see a death for his wife. She may still be living, and you may be able to find her via electoral rolls. To my knowledge you have to pay for this information. There used to be a free site which allowed limited lookups but the link I have is broken.