Author Topic: Requesting Information about Crest, Motto and Person of Interest (c.1800s)  (Read 3604 times)

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Information about Crest, Motto and Person of Interest (c.1800s)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 October 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
There is a Medal Index card for a J.C. Pain recording his qualification for the 1914/15 Star. Theatre of War given as "France", qualifying date 17-9-15. It also has the note "M.C." without further detail.
He is listed as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Intelligence Corps and then as a Lieutenant in the 2/10 Scots Guards.
Oddly, I have been unable to find any of the London Gazette entries for his Commission, promotion, or decoration, but the Gazette search can be erratic at times.
There are also details on Ancestry of what appears to be his membership of several Masonic Lodges in the Far East in the 1920s, by which time his occupation has become Sales Representive.
He certainly seems to have led an interesting life.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline poetess2016

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Maec,

Thank you for providing further information about J. C. Having shifted from what seems as a successful military career to working as a sales representative does make one wonder... Someone at a different forum advised me Mr. J. C. may have gone bankrupt at one point in his life, which might explain him becoming a salesperon:

"There is a record of his dad having a BA from Cambridge looks like he may have been a Lawyer. Also think he went bankrupt."

I wonder if James had any children if he has any descendants who live nowadays. Will be interesting to know if and what legacy he left behind which currently remains 🙂

-Sharon

Offline george1066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Sharon,

I have just seen this post.

James Crichton Pain was my Great Uncle. His sister Mary Henrietta Pain was my Grandmother. James's father was John Athill  Pain 1864 1899, James is described as a Gentleman when he was a witness to my grandparents wedding in Aspley Guise in 1919.  They lived at Woodlands, Woburn Sands, Beds which still stands.  Neither men were declared bankrupt, the family money came from service in the East India Company.

James served in the Devonshire Regiment and his MC was an immediate award at the first Battle of Ypres.  He later fought for the White Russians and married a Russian, they had no children. We have several pictures of him in France and I met his wife as a child.

We are looking for his medals which were stolen with his effects following his death in London (Ironically Devonshire Place, W1).  We would be very grateful for a good copy of his book plate which you now have and any information about where you found it.

Thank you, 

George Woodruff

Offline george1066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 May 19 09:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Sharon,

I would like to thank Maec who found that my Great Uncle was transferred to the 2/10 Scots (not The Scots Guards but The Royal Scots, or the 1st Linlithgowshire Rifle Volunteers) for the 1918 Archangel Campaign in Northern Russia.  We have photographs of him there but we did not know the regiment. He must have just come back from the Northern Dvina when he went to my Grandmother's wedding.

We used to think he stayed on in Russia but it is more likely he worked for a Hong Kong Trading House and met Anna Tiedemann, who happened to be Russian, in China

Best,

George

Offline george1066

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 May 19 08:24 BST (UK) »
I attach a photograph of James (Jimmy) Pain taken in France in 1916 with his brother officers in the Devonshires. Porthos and Athos were killed.