Author Topic: Czech: location help  (Read 919 times)

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Czech: location help
« on: Sunday 09 October 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
I've been on the hunt for a place called "Veseli", apparently the origin of Stephan Kredba and wife Anna nee Popper/Poppr when they arrived into Canada in the 1890s.  By looking at the details of Anna's sister Marie, who married and emigrated separately, I've been able to locate that side of the family in Železnice (birth place of the Poppr girls) and Roškopov (marriage of Marie), but the Kredbas have remained difficult to trace and Anna and Stephan don't seem to have married in either of those locations.

Now looking at the marriage of Anna and Marie's parents, I see that father Josef's entry has a reference to a location named Veseli , but my knowledge of the Czech language is limited to picking through word lists, so any assistance in transcription and understanding of where this place is and what parish/municipality it is located in.

The same references appear to be on Josef's entry on Anna's birth  - I think his father was deceased, hence different locations listed for his mother and father? I think the place referenced regarding his father is a location in Sobotka, Drštěkry or Drstěkryje, but it's the "Veseli" (perhaps indicated as in Nymburk - but I can't find one in that region) I'm struggling with.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Czech: location help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 16 18:57 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Umm.   :-\

If you put <i>Veseli</i> into the search box for Eastern Europe in the JewishGen Gazetteer at  http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm  you'll get 10 different locations in the Czech Republic ... though each with a grid reference, a direction and distance from Prague, and an immediate link to Google maps.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 16 20:45 BST (UK) »
None of the Veselis I've found so far of them seem to fit with the information given in this record (a place within okres Nymburk or something similar to Nymburk). I feel that Veselí nad Lužnicí, for example, is too far from all the other places mentioned. 

Drstěkryje definitely fits because at the time it was in "okres Sobotka"
http://vychodoceskearchivy.cz/jicin/e-badatelna-jicin/samsina/drstekryje/

It's possible I'm looking for a place in which has changed names or even no longer exists. I'm looking for help with determining what area the district (okres ) referred to in this record was, if not Nymburk (or if Nymburk, any information on what area that covered in the mid-1800s) or any information I'm missing that could be extracted from the original, so I can pin down an exact location.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Agawa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 September 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
Anna Maria Nahlovsky (later) Poppr was from Vesela (parish of Rovensko pod Troskami): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9P5-ZS82-4?i=144&cat=2502691

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 September 21 08:02 BST (UK) »
It is only a suggestion
Miroslav Kredba was a Czech RAF pilot squadron 310 - he died 14th February 1942 and is buried in - quote
Buried or commemorated at
ILLOGAN (ST. ILLOGAN) CHURCHYARD

Row 1. Grave 12.

United Kingdom

do you think the CWGC site may have his parents names and address ??

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford