Author Topic: Eric Lamb 1920 to 1994  (Read 1964 times)

guest189040

Eric Lamb 1920 to 1994
« on: Monday 10 October 16 15:17 BST (UK) »
My Uncle Eric dissapeared from the family home in Morecambe only to return to the town in 1991 for the funeral of his Brother who was my Farther.

What happened to Eric in the late thirties to mid nineties is largely unknown, he was born 18/5/1920 which is registered in Lancaster and died 5/5/1994 in Redbridge.

I have found out that he married Annie at some stage and they had one daughter who herself got married in 1974.

I have Eric's Death Certificate and so know for sure the name of his daughter who had an unusual surname after her marriage and I can find no trace of either her or her husband.

On the Death Certificate is the home address of his daughter and I have written to that address but had no response.

I am trying to find out the surname of Eric's Wife and the Marriage location, anyone any suggestions?

I am also trying to locate his daughter, my cousin who nobody in the family was aware of her existance until I received the death certificate.

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Lamb 1920 to 1994
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
What year was the daughter born and did she have the surname Lamb? Cross referencing her birth year may help bring up the mothers maiden name
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 October 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 16 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric

Can you send me the 1994 address on the personal message system as I have access to a works database and can check to see who was there then and how long they stayed after Eric's death

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out the surname of Eric's Wife and the Marriage location, anyone any suggestions?

This won't be very helpful, but you need to consider the possibility that they never married.  On the other hand, they may have married much later than you think.

I say this because I found a female relative on the 1939 register on whom I had long given up.  She had been something of a 'wild child', so I suspected that she might have lived with a man and taken his name without marrying, making it impossible to trace her.  And so it proved - except that she had married him in the end, after 20+ years of appearing in records as Mrs Hisname.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 16 16:12 BST (UK) »
(I haven't given names as Eric's wife and children may still be living)

A search on freebmd for a marriage in England or Wales between Eric and Ann/Annie turned up only one in England between 1935 and 1960:
Wigan Mar qtr 1936 vol 8c p173 (your Eric was aged 15 or 16)

Alternatively there are two possible marriages for Eric (no middle initial) Lamb to a woman with a middle initial A or whose first name suggests a possible nickname Annie :
West Cheshire Jun qtr 1940
Romsey (Hampshire) Sep qtr 1956

I don't have access to Scottish or Irish marriages, so I can't discount the possibility of Eric marrying there.  Also, it occurs to me that if Eric was born in 1920 there is a strong probability that he was called up to the armed forces - he may have been posted to a former enemy country after the war and married a local girl.  This could account for a rift in the family.

I think your best bet is to track a birth of a child of Eric to find out his wife's maiden name.  If you send me a personal message with his daughter's name and place of marriage  I can try to track down likely candidates.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
Philip,

You don't need "access" for Scottish BMD's. The site is free to join & the index is free to search for possibilities.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

guest189040

« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 16 17:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the responses, I have been spending an hour since I posted the original staring from scratch.

I now have Eric at an address in Dagenham in the 1964 Electoral Roll and also an Annie Lamb at the same address, this address is the same as on his Death Cert which I have.

The Death Cert list his Daughter as the informant, I also have her marriage in 1974.

I have just found a death of an Annie Lamb in Q1 1991 and have just ordered the cert from GRO.

I did have a list of about 29 possible marriages and took a punt and entered the maiden name of one of the ladies into a new Ancestry search with the birth year 1949 +/-10 years and the surname as Lamb.

The result was 4 children born to a mother wth the maiden name of Pewtress, so I may be getting there as one of the names is the same as on Eric's Death Cert

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 October 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
I did have a list of about 29 possible marriages and took a punt and entered the maiden name of one of the ladies into a new Ancestry search with the birth year 1949 +/-10 years and the surname as Lamb.

Make that 1955 +/- 10 and you'll get six  ;)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.