Author Topic: John Roberts died at New Rocklands Slate Quarry Richmond Quebec  (Read 407 times)

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Roberts died at New Rocklands Slate Quarry Richmond Quebec
« on: Tuesday 11 October 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
I have discovered a newspaper report in a Welsh newspaper detailing the death of my great grandfather John Roberts at New Rocklands Slate Quarry Richmond, Quebec on July 15 1888. This discovery has come about after many years of research started by late father. John Roberts was born at Gors Ceffylau near Capel Curig in Caernarvonshire, Wales on November 4 1849. On checking the internet the slate quarry was at Kingsbury which I believe is a village near Richmond. I believe a lot of slate quarrymen from Wales went to work there and there were two work colleagues from Wales with John Roberts when he was killed. They were only slightly hurt. John Roberts was buried the next day (Monday 16th July), following an inquest, at the English Church in Richmond.

Any information regarding the death, inquest or burial or company records regarding John Roberts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Roberts died at New Rocklands Slate Quarry Richmond Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
The Ottawa Journal newspaper gives the following account:

While John Roberts and three other men were engaged in work in the new Rockland slate quarry this morning, a loose rock gave way and fell upon them killing Roberts and seriously injuring two others. The deceased was a native of Wales, where he left a wife and child to seek a home for them in this country.

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Roberts died at New Rocklands Slate Quarry Richmond Quebec
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Eileen

Thanks for the information. It ties in with the report that I've found although it said there were two men with John Roberts in that report not three. But as the report was in a Welsh newspaper over here they may have only mentioned and named the Welsh men. The report that I found also said that John Roberts had a wife and five children back here in Wales. His wife had five children but I'm fairly certain that John Roberts was a father to only three of them one of whom was my grandfather. My father always said that my great grandmother was supposed to follow John overseas but that he was killed. My father always thought that he'd gone to New York State not Canada which led us in the wrong direction for many years.

Thanks again.

regards

David