Author Topic: Photo Dating please - James Williams and/or Alice Jane Chuck  (Read 1313 times)

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
Photo Dating please - James Williams and/or Alice Jane Chuck
« on: Thursday 13 October 16 03:57 BST (UK) »
James Williams was born about 1841, married when he was 52 to Alice Jane Chuck (of Marlborough, New Zealand) aged 26, don't know if she was first wife or not yet. I have a collection of family photos and James and eldest son Victor are the only ones named in the photos. I'm having trouble working them all out as the date of the photo in my mind just doesn't fit the ages of his children and/or grandchildren.
If someone could date this photo a bit more accurately I'd be obliged thank you - James is the man back left with the full beard. All of the photos are on postcards and some of them have F. Thomas Photo printed on the front in white, I haven't been able to find anything on photographer F Thomas (possibly around Upper Hutt area) as yet.

I live in NZ & am researching:-
The WILSONs of Longnor Staffordshire, Winster Derbyshire, Birkenhead Cheshire thence to New Zealand.
http://tinyurl.com/kua7g57

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Dating please - James Williams and/or Alice Jane Chuck
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think it would be 1905-1912.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
I agree with Gadget, definitely Edwardian I would say. Spectacular hats there.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:23 BST (UK) »
I agree with Gadget, - the women's clothing looks Edwardian to me.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Also, I would think that the man, centre back, is married to the woman on left - notice his rt hand on her shoulder.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 16 11:27 BST (UK) »
I can't really tweak it any closer than Gadget's date except to say it's probably the upper end of those dates 1909-11.
As Gadget observed the man in the centre has his hand on the woman in front who in turn has her hand on the boy so, husband, wife & son & possibly a daughter in front.
The woman on the right has her hand on the younger woman indicating mother & daughter with possibly her husband behind. The other 3 children could be anybody's.
It's quite possibly none of these children belong to the man on the left.
The obvious question is, how many children did Victor have by those dates.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
The WILSONs of Longnor Staffordshire, Winster Derbyshire, Birkenhead Cheshire thence to New Zealand.

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 October 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I had thought about 1914/15 as that is the date the album was started by the album owner.

James's wife Alice didn't die until after him so she should be in the photo too but I guess there are many reasons why she wouldn't be, if she isn't.

They had had three surviving children by then, Victor Cyril James 1894 (married 1925), Alva Amelia 1899 and Wesley Arthur 1903. So none of them are the adults obviously.

There are lots of other photos (some taken the same day) with various formations of the same people, so far all I've been able to work out is that the couple on the right are the parents of the middle girl and the two young boys in the front.

The young boy in white on the left is in another photo with the woman next to him and in yet another photo with the young woman sitting on the ground on the right.

So far I have no siblings for James Williams so I don't know if the men are his brothers although I don't think they look to be old enough. His wife Alice had 3 sisters & 5 brothers so they could be any of them, lots more work needed I reckon.

I just wanted to confirm the date of the photo to make sure I was on the right track, thanks again all.