Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 3357 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smart meters
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 October 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
If you are on Economy Seven and the clock which controls the change-over  stops and breaks while it is on the night time setting, you may then find all your electric consumption is at the LOW   rate. How long would it take for them to discover that?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 October 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
The main pro is that our current meters are situated in places that make it difficult to read - one very close to the ceiling in the kitchen (13 ft high) and one very close to the floor in the downstairs loo. So I have to get on my knees with a torch for one and climb on a tall step ladder for the other. It's Ok at the moment (early 70s) but in another 10 years or so, it might be more difficult.

My dad recently moved into a house where the meter was awkward for him to reach (he's 84) and to our amazement the energy company came and moved it to an outside wall completely free of charge - all he had to pay for was the metal housing unit, which from memory was around £20. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 October 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
There seems to be some confusion over what a Smart Meter does.

It sends your meter readings to Energy HQ. That's all.

You may also get a gizmo - a "smart energy monitor" - which shows how much power you are using at any time, or what you have used on any given day. You don't actually have to have it plugged in if you don't want to. It's perhaps mildly interesting for a few days but not for long. Unless you want to be interested in it. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 October 16 20:42 BST (UK) »

I thought that most answers so far seemed to understand what they did  ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 October 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
Our experience has been very positive especially in the last few weeks. About 18 months ago we had a smart meter fitted by Eon our electricity supplier. We were offered the choice. It's situated on an outside wall and the reader came once to check the first reading after installation. By the way fitting took about an hour with no mess.

The fitter left me with brief instructions on how to use the monitor which I then immediately forgot so we put it away & forgot about it.

3 weeks ago they sent us a replacement monitor as apparently there had been problems with them, this time OH set it up. The first couple of weeks we were using between 80p & £1.20 a day. Suddenly last Sunday we had used £2 by 9.30am. This continued for 3 days (on the third day we used well over £3 worth). After checking all appliances, OH turned down the thermostat on the immersion heater (from maximum!) & since then we've used less than £1 every day.

So we probably have a dodgy thermostat - keeping a close eye on it. Without the smart meter monitor our bill for this quarter would have been astronomical.

It's certainly proved itself to us.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 October 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
In our Sunday paper today, there was an article about Smart Meters which are installed by the electricity company you use.  Apparently, the meters are not compatible with every electricity company, making it very difficult to change your supplier.  The government is trying to get people to change their electricity and/or gas supplier regularly so that you always get the best deal, but having a smart meter goes against this advice.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 October 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
In our Sunday paper today, there was an article about Smart Meters which are installed by the electricity company you use.  Apparently, the meters are not compatible with every electricity company, making it very difficult to change your supplier.  The government is trying to get people to change their electricity and/or gas supplier regularly so that you always get the best deal, but having a smart meter goes against this advice.

Not really a smart meter can still be read in the normal fashion by a customer or meter reader so they do not prevent switching.
If your new supplier uses smart meters but their system is not compatible with the meter you have installed they will readily change the meter to their type of smart meter if required.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 October 16 09:15 BST (UK) »

How  frequently does it send your meter reading?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 October 16 10:02 BST (UK) »

How  frequently does it send your meter reading?

Every half hour though it can be set for longer intervals
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.