Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Smart meters
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 October 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
Why is it such a problem for people allowing access for the meter reader.  Some  meters are in a box outside the house or flat.

A lot are inside houses though, and if people are working it must be very difficult for a meter reader to gain access. I know when I was at work I was always getting a card through the door saying they had called. I believe that after so many self submitted readings they have to be read by a supplier just in case you are not reading it properly.

We keep getting cards asking for our meter reading although we read ours regularly and post them on our on-line account.  However, when I rang Eon to ask why they had put a card through the door when the reader probably leant on the meter box to write out the card, they couldn't answer me  ;D

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 October 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to trouble you with this, but I am getting unnerved.

Last Friday afternoon, a man was supposed to visit to install a smart meter. He failed to show. No phone call, they must all carry mobiles. In the morning a man called to check on access. Fine, reassured him. In the afternoon, a woman from Scottish Power rang to ask me to make an appointment. I told her a man was booked to come between 12 and 4. 

I rang Scottish Power this morning. Woman said no-show was nothing to do with them (TYPICAL). Re-booked for 22nd November, same time frame. Then she asked was it both gas and electric. I said yes and she said two men then, and two meters presumably.

What's it all about please?
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 29 October 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes an electrician and a gas fitter.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Guy.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I've never heard any consumer say anything good about having a smart metre. I would definitely not have one. There are many reports that it is very difficult to change suppliers once you have them. There are extensive reports on the internet and the only people that recommend them are the energy suppliers.

Martin

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Martin, the whole idea makes my stomach churn. I have no need, SP website has facility for putting in numbers any time and produces draft bill, you don't have to send it. The man who reads the meter is of the same opinion as you. Keeping warm is more important to me and I have the money.

I will try and knock it on the head.

Thank you very much, Martin.

Roger

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mxh/

I actually think that once the newer version (2) of the smart meters with the updated software comes out, the government will make them compulsory, probably by 2025 to 2030.

Malky

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Tee Hee Malky,

I'll be long gone by 2025, so not bothered.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Well I like my Smart meter....

1. I get a little display box that shows my gas & electric consumption, and I use that to take action on reductions that save energy and saves me real money.   

2. For instance, is it better to keep the immersion heater on all the time, or use a switch ?   - I now have a definite answer to that (for my usage).   Did I forget and leave that heater on in the porch ?   It tells me instantly.

3. I no longer get the meter readers calling, having to open up my cupboards and plan for annual compulsory readings.

I'm struggling to see any downside......
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland