Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 3379 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Smart meters
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
We've got one. Had it a couple of months. No problems. Interesting to see the usage of gas and electricity.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 03 November 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all your input. I will go ahead with installation, although as explained previously no need for them. Anyway keeping warm is only priority.

This morning I received a cheque for £30 for no show of men. A phone call explaining why would have been quite adequate. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 17 November 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it, if you have a Smart Meter fitted now, it makes life difficult if you want to change suppliers as all suppliers' Smart Meters are different.  The first generation of smart meters, called SMETS 1 – which are the one ones that almost everybody has installed - is not a standardised system.

So,if you switch from one provider to the other, the new provider doesn’t have that connection any more, the signal is lost, your meter won't work as a Smart Meter and you’ll have to give manual meter readings once more. 

SMETS 2 which are standardised were supposed to be rolled out this year, but not every energy supplier is fitting these.

So the most important thing to ask your supplier is whether the meter they intend to supply is SMET 1 (some suppliers are still fitting these) or SMET 2.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 18 November 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Useful info from everyone - thanks.  I've just had a letter from my supplier saying they want to fit a smart meter and I have been in two minds about it.  Reading Lizzie's post above, I'll contact them and ask if it will be a SMET2.  I have heard elsewhere that first generation ones are a problem and to go for second.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I recently had a letter from my electricity supplier asking me to confirm my smart meter appointment.(ie an appointment to have my smart meter fitted).  I thought this this was  strange as I had not requested such an appointment. Before I could ring them I had a call from the company in question. I pointed out that I was not impressed by the letter I had received as it was effectively a fait accompli. Their rep manfully tried to claim it was an offer to have  a smart meter installed. I have cancelled the appointment as to my mind the company has gone about it in completely the wrong way.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)