Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 3346 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Smart meters
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 October 16 14:45 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine had one fitted a couple of years ago to avoid the need for regular visits to read the meter.  Unfortunately the energy company insisted on reading it every quarter for over a year after it was fitted to ensure it was "working properly". ::)

I gather there is an ongoing issue with some smart meters working only with the systems of the company that fitted them, so if you moved supplier you could have to have it changed again.  I think this is one of the reasons they aren't currently compulsory yet.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 October 16 14:49 BST (UK) »
   I have read a lot of information on the internet about the pros and cons (mostly cons there) and also being curmudgeonly and suspicious, I shall hold out as long as possible. As Guy says, it is common sense mostly, and I don't waste gas or electricity now. It also seems to be costing a lot to install them, which we will end up paying.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 October 16 15:17 BST (UK) »
Surely it was a mistake to privatise the electricity boards?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 October 16 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for replies. We've been out saving on electricity and gas  :)

I've held out as I was told it would take a day to install and they left a mess. At the moment we send in our readings once a quarter and then they DD the bill. I can check up the quarterly usage online at any time the moment.

The main pro is that our current meters are situated in places that make it difficult to read - one very close to the ceiling in the kitchen (13 ft high) and one very close to the floor in the downstairs loo. So I have to get on my knees with a torch for one and climb on a tall step ladder for the other. It's Ok at the moment (early 70s) but in another 10 years or so, it might be more difficult.

Apparently,  the 2020 compulsory date is now more variable.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 October 16 18:55 BST (UK) »
I've held out as I was told it would take a day to install and they left a mess.

Mine certainly didn't take that long - about an hour at the most. They just removed the old meter from the cupboard and put in the new one, then plugged in the little box in the kitchen. No mess at all. The only time they come to read my meter now is when they do the annual boiler check. I don't take much notice of the box in the kitchen which shows how much electricity I'm using, it rarely goes above orange unless I have things like the oven, washing machine, microwave and kettle all on at once. I can see it might be useful though in a house full of teenagers!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 October 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
Wondering if they are a bit of a smoke and mirrors trick on the part of the government, to disguise the fact that energy costs are far too high?
A shameful number of households and an even more depressing number of children live in what is considered officially to be "fuel poverty".
Surely a basic amount of heating and lighting should be supplied at an affordable cost to all households. Thereafter a higher charge should be made for additional usage.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 October 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
My electricity supplier Scottish Power  sends me an e mail asking me to read my own meter and either email or phone them with the meter reading.  Why is it such a problem for people allowing access for the meter reader.  Some  meters are in a box outside the house or flat.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 October 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
Here in New Zealand, our power companies have been fitting smart meters. Our meter is on the wall of our neighbour's garage, so when we were offered the meter, we contacted our neighbour. The neighbour's son, who was staying with her, objected strongly to fitting one, and sent me email links showing what evil things they were.

A few weeks later, the son, who was painting the house, removed the door of the meter box, to paint it. We could then see that his mother's meter was a smartmeter!

Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 October 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Why is it such a problem for people allowing access for the meter reader.  Some  meters are in a box outside the house or flat.

A lot are inside houses though, and if people are working it must be very difficult for a meter reader to gain access. I know when I was at work I was always getting a card through the door saying they had called. I believe that after so many self submitted readings they have to be read by a supplier just in case you are not reading it properly.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk