Author Topic: Does anyone have evolving surnames?  (Read 10171 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have evolving surnames?
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 05 November 16 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I like the idea of auto-searches for wrong spellings in a genealogy version for names, places, etc. (words in probates would also be nice, but I have found Google helpful to fill in the next word).  That would be wonderful.  In the meantime I agree wildcards and soundexes are lovely. 

I am afraid I will have to ask all of you for name version suggestions after I have run out of ideas and used this post to come up with more.  I am amazed at what you have come up with so far.  Thanks to all for sharing!
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 07 November 16 14:43 GMT (UK) »
One family line of mine have been, through all the censuses, Crouther, Crowther, Crowthers, Crouthers and finally Carruthers, which they remain to this date.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I know a person whose surname is Crouter; clearly from the same route, and probably a spelling mistake led to this.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline kareneadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 10 November 16 00:44 GMT (UK) »
One family line of mine have been, through all the censuses, Crouther, Crowther, Crowthers, Crouthers and finally Carruthers, which they remain to this date.

I have just come across that tonight when researching my husbands ancestors. I had an Isabella Carruthers, her marriage cert listed her dad as James Crothers but her birth certificate has him as James Struthers!
Eadie/Addis/Addes (Lanarkshire) Stevenson/Steenson (Armagh) McElveny/McIlvany (Antrim) Shennan/Shannon (Ireland) Brotherston (Lanarkshire) Heaney (Ireland) Cadden (Ayrshire) Ewart (Ayrshire/Ireland) McCulloch (Ayrshire) Service (Ayrshire) Wilson (Lanarkshire) Miller (Lanarkshire) Williamson (Ireland) Dow (Stirlingshire) Docherty (Ireland) McCord (Ireland) Gorman (Antrim) Aitken (Lanarkshire) Marshall (Cumbernauld/Kilsyth)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 10 November 16 07:31 GMT (UK) »
The following are the family of my great grandparents, their actual names, JOHN GIBBONS MATHEWS and MARY JANE MATHEWS, living in Sheffield at the time of the 1861 Census.  This was sent to me by a kind volunteer person from the Sheffield Indexers - it was indexed under MASTERS!   :)

Piece 3496 Fol 49 Page 17 Brightside Bierlow Yorkshire

Rock St

John G Markus 43 manger of Manchester Sheffield Rly.born Ireland
Mary J Martews 43 born Ireland
Henry M D" 16 born Hounslow Middlesex
Mary G" 12 born Hounslow
John R A" 10 born Manchester Lancashire
Robert W" 5 born London
+ 2 visitors and 1 servant, (John G's occupation is the volunteers interpretation of the census info!  That was correct too, as I later found his employment records!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 10 November 16 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget "Crudder" for "Crowther" - yes, what a lovely image.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline jillrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 10 November 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Try taking a look at my website    clwydsurnames.org.uk

Not sure about 'evolving' but certainly plenty of variations.   I've always
found Kirkham a fascinating one.

jillrose

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 20 November 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you jillrose for the link to your website.  I found some more ideas of how to spell my Bradney/Bradley name from it. 

jaybelnz thanks for sharing, that reminds me, my father found our ancestor John Bradney/Bradley  listed on the 1851 census Abersychan, Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales, as "John Maddy." 
On the 1880 US census my Danish ancestor Hans Peter Hansen was listed as "P. Hans Petersen."  I saw something similar to that while I was looking for a friend's Scandinavian ancestor on a US census in another state.  Luckily I was able to find his by just searching for the first names of all the family members, until one brought the family up.

Thanks to all for the surname examples.
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 01 December 16 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has discovered a surname evolution where part of the name has been dropped.

In my family history I have two brothers with the surname Thorp(e) living in Stow Bardolph, Norfolk. They were from the parish of Northwold. In the Northwold register there are baptisms which match their forenames and age difference, but the surname is Thimblethorp(e).

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)