Author Topic: How do I trace the parents of Alfred Edward Hall  (Read 4981 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I trace some parents
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 October 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
In the 1891 census Alfred Howe has been transcribed as Hose and is in Cullercoates with parents John and Eliz F. Also in the household are his married sister Mary L Hall 20 and her husband John E Hall 21 b Newcastle, a grocer's assistant. Coincidence?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 October 16 10:47 BST (UK) »
A John Edward Hall married a Mary Lizzie Howe in 1st quarter 1891. A John Edward Hall aged 45 died in Tynemouth district in 1900.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 October 16 10:48 BST (UK) »
John Edward Hall married Mar 1891 10b/410 Tynemouth

Mary Lizzie Howe or Margaret Frazer Wren
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 October 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
Great finds though the age at 1900 death of that John Edward Hall is a out.

A Mary Lizzie Hall died 1896 Dec quarter Tynemouth aged 25 10 b 86
Also a James Hall aged 0 Tynemouth Dec quarter 10 b 162a  ??? Edited as the newspaper reports - see later posts - do not imply Mary died after childbirth.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 October 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
1881 – 5 Huddleston St, Cullercoates

John Howe, Head, Mar, 48, Baker, Newcastle
Eliza Foreman Howe, Wife, Mar, 42, Durham Felling
John Taylor Howe, Son, 14, Scholar, Durham Gateshead
Maggie B Howe, Daur, 12, Scholar, Durham Gateshead
Mary L Howe, Daur, 10, Scholar, Durham Gateshead
Alfred W Howe, Son, 5, Scholar, Durham Gateshead
Mary Taylor, Mother in Law, Widow, 62, Durham Felling
Margt A Bradley, Sister in Law, Widow, 40, Durham Gateshead
Annie M Bradley, Niece, 17, Durham Gateshead
Lizzie J Bradley, Niece, 9, Durham Gateshead
Margt Woods, Servant, 17, General Domestic, North Bedlington
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 October 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Report in Northern Echo 27 Nov 1896 - relating to a court case: a Mrs Elizabeth Howe, wife of John Howe confectioner of 13 Huddleston St & Mary Hall, her daughter wife of a provision merchant's assistant & living with her mother apart from her husband. Mary had 'been seduced' by the accused Ernest Richard Burlison of Darlington [a noted football player & a runner] & had become 'enceinte' so sent a letter asking for him to procure some pills.

Ernest tried to blackmail Mrs Howe with exposure about her daughter's pregnancies & abortions. He had letters from Mary [in March] saying she wanted a girl - 'no more bright bouncing boys speaking truth want none'.  She became ill on Aug 25 & died 2 weeks before the court cse. Doctor said she had died or natural causes [report on 30 Nov says rheumatism followed by meningitis & coma] but Ernest wanted her body exhumed for proof of his case.

Can't yet find a report of the outcome of the case.

Hartlepool Northern Mail 9 Feb 1897 reports Burlisson 'disappeared'. Released on bail, he had not been seen for a couple of days then a coat with letters addressed to him was found on the banks of river Tees.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 October 16 11:54 BST (UK) »
There are a number of articles about the case in the Sheilds Gazette and elsewhere. Ernest Richard Burlison seems to have absconded,faked his suicide and then been arrested in South Africa  in 1901 and retried. Search for Ernest Burlison and there are lots of articles. (Didn't see all of this coming when I made my first reply!).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 October 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
Search for Ernest Burlison and there are lots of articles. (Didn't see all of this coming when I made my first reply!).
He died in 1929 in Scarborough from lysol poisoning a couple of weeks after returning from S Africa & visiting relatives.

Can't wait for Shiny1 to come back & see all this  :o

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 October 16 12:08 BST (UK) »
Article in the Sunderland Echo 21 Feb 1902 states that "during the recent troubles (in S Africa) he rendered valuable service to the government".  He was recognised in S Africa, extradited and went before the Durham Assizes and in November 1901  was practically acquitted of the original  charge and received one day's imprisonment.He was then detained for the £100 of his personal bail. " Now, apparently he is held to have purged his offence".

William