Author Topic: McMahon/Gleeson Marriage abt 1882 Scarriff  (Read 3946 times)

Offline jbm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
McMahon/Gleeson Marriage abt 1882 Scarriff
« on: Wednesday 19 October 16 14:53 BST (UK) »
Help needed as I'm trying to find the names of the fathers of Patrick McMahon and Julia Gleeson who I believe were married about 1882 in Scarriff Clare.  On the 1901 census they are living in William Street Nenagh Tipp but place of birth for Patrick and Julia is given as Clare.  They had 10 children and the births of the first 4 were registered in Scarriff - Catherine 1883, William 1885, Mary 1887 and Margaret 1889.  The family were living in Killaloe Clare then moved to Ballina Tipp about 1890. Also on the 1901 census they say that the children were all born in Tipperary which is true for the last 6 children as 2 were born in Ballina and 4 in Nenagh  There is no record of the marriage on the Civil Registration list or on IrishGenealogy.ie  Many thanks
Barrett, Gleeson, McMahon, Atmore, Fuller, Humphrey, Knock, Pyman, Smalls Ballina, Killaloe, Nenagh, Attleborough, Banham, Besthorpe, Garvestone, Hardingham, Mattishall, Morley St Peter, Morley St Botolph, New Buckenham, Old Buckenham, Reymerstone, Wymondham

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: McMahon/Gleeson Marriage abt 1882 Scarriff
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to match a McMahon marriage to this entry from Family Search?

Name:   Julia Gleason
Event Type:   Marriage
Event Date:   Apr - Jun 1878
Event Place:   Tuam, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year:   Apr - Jun 1878
Registration District:   Tuam
Volume Number:   4
Page Number:   217

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 16 14:56 BST (UK) »
This Julia didn't marry a McMahon.  Thanks for looking :)
Barrett, Gleeson, McMahon, Atmore, Fuller, Humphrey, Knock, Pyman, Smalls Ballina, Killaloe, Nenagh, Attleborough, Banham, Besthorpe, Garvestone, Hardingham, Mattishall, Morley St Peter, Morley St Botolph, New Buckenham, Old Buckenham, Reymerstone, Wymondham

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 16 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, County Clare records are not complete in many sites.
No marriages in rootsireland
County Clare Baptism records had 1 Patrick McMahon born in Scariff.
please see below
if your Patrick had 3 sisters, Nora, Margaret and Bridget then this is the correct Patrick.
The Clare Baptism records for Patrick and Julia are not listed but all the ones in Tipperary are.
Maggsie

Name:   Patrick McMahon   Date of Birth:   
        Date of Baptism:   06-Feb-1862
Address:   Gortaderra   Parish/District:   SCARIFF
      Denomination:   Roman Catholic

Father:   Michael McMahon   Mother:   Ellen Mansell

Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1:   Anthony Sheedy    Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2:   Ellen McMahon

Offline jbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 16 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help Sadly I know little about my gt grandparents.  When my dad was baptised in 1920 in Nenagh one of his sponsors was a Joseph McMahon but my dad didn't know what relation he was (if any)  The only other relative I know about is a first cousin of my gt grandfather Patrick McMahon called Mary Delaney who died in 1909 in Nenagh.  Mary was born in 1864 in Killaloe and her parents were Biddy McMahon and Michael Blackall.  Biddy and Michael were married in 1856 in Newport Tipp.  Biddy would be my gt grandfather's aunt as she was his father's sister. There seems to be a connection to Killaloe and also to Ballina Tipp as Patrick, Julia and their children are buried in 'The Family Plot' in Templehallow Ballina.  Someone on a facebook site told me that their McMahon family had come from Corrofin Clare, had moved to Killaloe in the 1860s and then to The Grange Ballina.  She thought that one brother had moved to Nenagh but had never been able to find out who as on the 1901 census there are several McMahon families in Nenagh

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 October 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
With the names you have mentioned..
Mary Delany who died in 1909.....she was married to Daniel, is this correct?
If yes, she was Mary Blackhall and her father was William.
The Joseph McMahon, in 1911 census his Father is Jeremiah and Mother is Mary Ellen.
I checked for his birth, the Mother's maiden name was Moroney.
This Mary Moroney was born in Grange Nenagh, this is on the main road going up hill towards Nenagh from Ballina (you mentioned Grange in your post)
All these families lived in William Street.
If you would like all the records please let me know.
Maggsie

Offline jbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi yes Mary husband was Daniel.  Have you found a marriage record for them as I was told her father was Michael Blackall. Do you know what the graveyard is called in Killaloe as someone has told me that Templehallow is Killaloe and that Ballina is Templekelly.  Do you have different info on William Street to what appears on the 1901/1911 census - if so then yes it is of interest.  Many thanks for your help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 October 16 08:08 BST (UK) »
Map showing location of Templehollow most online sources as Templehollow, Ballina and from this map it shows Killaloe across the river from Ballina & graveyard)-
http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/2082256/BALLINA%20(TEMPLEHOLLOW)%20GRAVEYARD

On Google Streetview old graveyard is visable - see here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 October 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Yes, when searching, I dig!
Are you in Ireland or the UK?
I have the marriage of Daniel and Mary, the death for Mary.
I don't search for more info. until you reply, so next I will send a Private Message for your email address, if that's ok.
I was born in Nenagh so I know the area, even though I left when I was young.
Maggsie