Author Topic: Thomas Leonard Ellen Collins family  (Read 2759 times)

Offline brendariani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Leonard Ellen Collins family
« on: Wednesday 19 October 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I wondered if anyone can help me try to find what happened to my Great Grandfather Thomas Leonard. My Great Grandmother was named Ellen Collins, she married Thomas Leonard and was living in 25 Longford Street, Arvagh Cavan in the the 1911 census with her children one being my Grandmother Mary Leonard Her Mother Margaret Collins, sister Mary and brother Patrick also lived at that address.  Ellen died possibly in her early forties of a brain tumour and after her funeral my Great Grandfather asked my Grandmother who was then 19 yrs old to take the children back home and he would follow. He never did and she never saw him again. My Grandmother had to take  some of the children (as there were by then 8 or 9 of them ) to Belfast to her Aunt Mary's to raise as she went out to work to support them. Ovee the years she often talked about her Dad and wanted to know what had happened to him before she died.Unfortunately she never got the chance.My own Mother is in her 70's and she too would love to know what happened to him in honour of her Mum. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Great-Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 20:49 BST (UK) »
A possible....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Thomas Leonard / Ellen Collins C1911
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi welcome to Rootschat!?

If you change the title of your request to something more meaningful, then people cqn be aware of what the query is about without reading it all through.ie if the title interests them . . . . .

Regards
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Great-Grandfather
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/25381b8389245

Name   Thomas LEONARD
Year of Death   1950
Group Registration ID   2265084
SR District/Reg Area   Longford
Deceased Age at Death   91
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline brendariani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Leonard Ellen Collins family
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much. I think Ellen Collins was born around 1881 maybe in Co Monaghan. I'm not sure what the age difference was between herself and Thomas. I wondered if there was any news coverage when Thomas went missing around 1922. Much appreciated Ray.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
Here's the link to the 1911 census entry- 25 is merely the enumerator's reference for the household-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cavan/Arvagh/Longford_Street/319377
You can see on this image that there is no street number-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001693102/

Have you found a marriage for Thomas and Ellen?

Son Thomas' birth (1907) gives father's occupation as dealer-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1907/01707/1676574.pdf

Same occupation on son Patrick's birth (1909)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1909/01611/1646256.pdf

and for Joseph's birth (1911)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01527/1619371.pdf

In 1913 daughter Ellen's birth lists him as a pedlar-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1913/01429/1586221.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline brendariani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 October 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information. Much appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have a marriage certificate for Thomas and Ellen as I do not have much information. I see from the 1911 census they were martied 8 years, so I guess it's around  1903.

Offline brendariani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 October 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
I am overwhelmed with the information so far. I am seeing my Mum tonight, she will be delighted. I'm not sure how much older or younger Thomas was than Ellen. So sad my Grandmother never saw him again after her Mum's funeral. I'm sure there would have been some inquiry into his disappearance. My Grandmother was nineteen at the time of her Mother's death so ot must have been around 1922. If I could find a death certificate that would be great. Many Thanks to all.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 October 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
There may have been a newspaper report (perhaps even copied to papers outside the area as 'human interest' story) and he may have been reported to police as missing or abandoning his children although it's possible the family didn't report the matter in case the children were taken into care.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!