Author Topic: Estate Records Coverage - Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant & Rhos y Brithdir  (Read 2504 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Estate Records Coverage - Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant & Rhos y Brithdir
« on: Thursday 20 October 16 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Looking for some advice on what estate(s) might Rhos y Brithdir near Llanfyllin and Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant come under in order to do some research in Estate Records?

My parents live in a converted cow barn in Rhos y Brithdir and wanted to research the history of their house (or at least the farm it was once connected to) and also my father is interested in researching the history of an old mill (now a house) in Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant (which might also be connected to our family). I am conscious that some parts of LyM are considered to be in Denbighshire too, but just wondered if anyone had any ideas of which estates I should be looking for in order to request the records? I am due to look at some estate records in the Powys Records Office next week, but understand the larger estate records are at the National Library of Wales - which my father is keen to go to too.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Estate Records Coverage - Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant & Rhos y Brithdir
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 16 13:26 BST (UK) »
May be the Llwyn Estate as here?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ips/

Regards
Roger

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Ooh thanks Roger!

Will do a search to see what else they might have.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 16 13:58 BST (UK) »
Do you feel able to reveal the name of the farm/house/mill in case anyone can help,or do you wish to pursue it privately?

Regards
Roger

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 16 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

The mill - as far as I know is just called The Old Mill - on the censuses it was known as Henfelin in the Pentrefelin part of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant.

The farm in Rhos y Brithdir - I'm not sure but the house at the top of the track is called Waenoleu. I think my Dad's cousin used to work at the farm before the war.

Any help is much appreciated!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 16 16:09 BST (UK) »
This might be appropriate if you are visiting NLW?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ipw/

Regards
Roger

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 October 16 16:13 BST (UK) »
That's great - thank you Roger.

My parent's house is actually Rhyd Hir which is named on that - but for some reason I figured it was only part of a bigger farm rather than one in it's own right. There is also another farm closer on the main road called Bryncoch which I thought it could have also been attached to. I will definitely take a look at that! I should have just said that from the start! (Doh!)

:)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 October 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
Here is the earliest map I can find:-

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102186734

Regards
Roger

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 October 16 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger

Apologies for the delayed response - been offline for a while! Your help has been very much appreciated.

Alex