Author Topic: Sarah Farrel b.c. 1818 Monaghan  (Read 2975 times)

Offline darylr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Farrel b.c. 1818 Monaghan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenfield,

Thanks for looking up the records regarding Thomas Farrell and his wife Agnes McVittie (and others)
in the Cahan's presbyterian church. I tried the link you gave but it didn't work unfortunately, is there another website or film I could look at to find more Farrell's in Sleiveroe/Urcher in Kilmore ?

I noticed that Thomas & Agnes' marriage was an irregular one, what does that mean ? I haven't come across that description before.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Daryl

Offline greenfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Farrel b.c. 1818 Monaghan
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 July 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi darylr,
Sorry link to Ulster J. of Archaeology didn't work. I found item on LDS film #1279239 item 16. Think I transcribed all Farrells that I saw though.  For good list of Kilmore Parish info you could try:
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=1965&civilparish=Kilmore&county=Monaghan
I did see an Isaac Farrell listed in Kilmore Parish for Linen List of 1796 thru Grenham's site.

As to irregular marriages. Much of what was online seemed to deal with Scotland. For Ireland, it seems as if it was marriages that took place with out complying with legal requirements (banns/license) or "established social custom". Also apparently if a couple married outside of their home parish, or at the "wrong time" (perhaps Lent etc in the some denominations).
I found that marriage between a Presbyterian and a member of another denomination was not legal in Ireland until 1845.  Maybe that was "irregular?"
Apparently these marriage may have been valid but sometimes they were "remarried" by Church of Ireland, (this also appears to be the case if they were married by a "defrocked" minister, cheaper & quicker and usually local).
In Scotland  marriage could be by mutual agreement, or public promise followed by consumation, or by "cohabitation and repute".
Since Thomas & Agnes were married in Feb 1807 and 1st son John born April 1807, maybe the latter situation also applied in Ireland.
Anyway for what it's worth that's my thoughts on irregular marriage.
Maureen